Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Project Gutenberg ebooks

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 56 comments I was wondering about adding books in from Project Gutenberg. What information should we use for published date, publisher, etc? Should it be the first published edition, the same as any currently published editions, etc?

message 2: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I have downloaded several of these myself. I generally just pick the closest e-book version on the list of editions (sometimes it's the Kindle edition :P)...or one with a cover I really like. I know that's not much help.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would put the Publisher as Project Gutenberg, and the publication date as the "Posting Date" that PG lists on their files.

message 3: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 56 comments Sounds like a good idea to me. :)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Some of the Gutenberg books tell you specifically what edition they were based on; in those cases I don't personally bother with creating an ebook entry and just use the original text.

message 5: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 56 comments This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "Some of the Gutenberg books tell you specifically what edition they were based on; in those cases I don't personally bother with creating an ebook entry and just use the original text."

Yes, but I prefer to specify the actual format of the book. Its one of the very few details I actually care about. :)