dumas pere discussion

Ascanio

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sergey (new)

Sergey (zvukvnochi) I'm re-reading this novel. I first read it when I was in my teens, I suppose...don't recall exactly, but was quite young. I remember I really enjoyed the tale; fell in love with Ascanio, actually if memory serves me right. Anyone familiar with this novel?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura no, could you tell us more about this book?

message 3: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 115 comments Ascanio
Seems a bunch of folk have read it on goodreads. I'd never heard of it before...but then Dumas wrote about one book per day for his life, so there will be plent out there I've never heard of.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Misfit also discovered The Two Dianas, remember?

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura both volumes are available at Internet Archive:

http://www.archive.org/details/ascani...

http://www.archive.org/details/ascani...

The French version is also available.

message 6: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 69 comments A brief plot synopsis? Pretty please?

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura just a second...

message 9: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 115 comments Laura wrote: "voilà:

http://www.cadytech.com/dumas/work.ph..."

Great site.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 69 comments Thanks Laura, I'll have to hunt that one down one of these days. I love the bit with the Lord's prayer.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura I am also tempted to read it, it is Sergey´s fault, he doesn´t know how we love Dumas books....

message 12: by Sergey (new)

Sergey (zvukvnochi) Laura wrote: "I am also tempted to read it, it is Sergey´s fault, he doesn´t know how we love Dumas books...."

That's okay, I'd rather be blamed for this than something worse. :) I hope you read and enjoy this novel. And thank you for posting the synopsis -- I'd have to make a note of that website!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura are you reading in French or English??

message 14: by Sergey (new)

Sergey (zvukvnochi) Laura wrote: "are you reading in French or English??"

I'm reading it in Russian.

message 15: by Sergey (new)

Sergey (zvukvnochi) Finish it. As mentioned before, this is a re-read; first read about fifteen years ago. I remembered vividly the scene of the taking of the Great Nesle Castle, but had forgotten the glory of the story that followed. This is such a wonderful historical novel. You have adventure; you have intrigue; you have romance (innocent and lovely (Ascanio and Colombe), contrasted by the selfish love that satisfies but the cold, cruel heart (Duchess D'Etampes -- To win your heart I would sacrifice France!); you have revenge; you have the art. The scene of casting of statue Jupiter alone is breathtaking! Benvenuto Cellini is unbreakable (and a remarkable man in this novel; the novel, itself, is largely based on his autobiography); Ascanio too much in love to see the evil around him; Colombe too innocent; Jacques Aubry a comical relief to the intense drama; Duchess D’Etampes very evil; the novel – very lush! Dumas rarely disappoints, and this is one of his best novels.

message 16: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 69 comments I must try for an interlibrary loan and see if I can get my hands on it. Thank you.

message 17: by Laura (last edited Sep 06, 2009 07:11AM) (new)

Laura thanks for this great review Sergey, now Misfit and I MUST also read thi book. Misfit, I will try to find it in French at Intener Archive. Sergey, now you MUST read The Two Dianas also, available in Russian in Amazon or perhaps at Internet Archive (we must check it).

message 18: by Sergey (new)

Sergey (zvukvnochi) Laura wrote: "thanks for this great review Sergey, now Misfit and I MUST also read thi book. Misfit, I will try to find it in French at Intener Archive. Sergey, now you MUST read The Two Dianas also, available i..."

Hi Laura! I read The Two Dianas earlier this year; re-read it actually. I really enjoyed it.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura a splendid book isn´t it??