Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Can We Cure Aging?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I was just reading several articles in Discover Magazine all about the cure for aging. Apparently, this is the newest, trendiest revolution in health science research. Some of the doctors feel that by manipulating our genes, or by reducing overall inflammatory response in our bodies, among other methods, we may be able to stall the advance of aging as well as most of the diseases that come with it.

One article states that "for every person who dies of any cause other than aging, be it homicide, road accidents, AIDS, whatever, somewhere around 10 people die of aging." That's around 100,000 people per day world-wide. (From Here to Eternity, Discover ISSN 1947-6698)

What I'd like to know is... should we do this? Do you feel that this is something that should be pursued for the benefit of all mankind? Or, is this something we should leave alone because it is a natural course our bodies take? What about over-population issues that we already face?

Regardless, the articles are really interesting and have some exciting new possibilities for our future.

Can We Cure Aging?
"They say aging is one of the only certain things in life. But it turns out they were wrong. In recent years, gerontologists have overturned much of the conventional wisdom about getting old. Aging is not the simple result of the passage of time. According to a provocative new view, it is actually something our own bodies create, a side effect of the essential inflammatory system that protects us against infectious disease. As we fight off invaders, we inflict massive collateral damage on ourselves, poisoning our own organs and breaking down our own tissues. We are our own worst enemy."

message 2: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments Sure, we should pursue this. We will figure out ways to control overpopulation (if that would actually be a problem).

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 20, 2009 09:12AM) (new)

I think this is a good thing. I imagine that many of us have watched age and the accompanying complications slowly stalk a loved one. Weaken a body that was once strong; dull a mind that was once sharp. I would support anyone who wanted to undergo such a procedure. And would happily do it myself, in a few years.

Plus, I think, as human beings, once we see that something is possible, we will follow it through, until it’s made reality. So this will happen somewhere, sometime.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I agree with Bun that it would be great if the golden years were a little more golden.

That said, given that most people who die of old age die of some sort of physical or mental deterioration, I would fear that overpopulation would become an issue.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You're right. I meant to say "I would fear that overpopulation would become even more of an issue."

This reminds me of a Vonnegut story, but i can't remember the name of it. Multiple generations of families lived in tiny apartments. Suicide was the only way out, I think. Or jail.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments So, death panels it is, then! ;)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Now it's "have as many children as possible so we can form our own religion and spread it quickly across the land."

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Isn't that the Quiverful philosophy?

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yup.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's it.

Abigail (42stitches) | 150 comments Sounds like something Heinlein wrote in the sixties.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Not nearly that sophisticated, Abigail.

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Larry makes his debut today. Larry, you are sophisticated. Oops, you made your debut on the drinking bit about circle of guilt where you confessed to being the cause of all underage drinking. Is that right?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Here larry, let me scooch the ficus in front of Stephen. ;-).

message 15: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Ficusized again. Where is my fly swatter.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Just don't drop the dead ones in the ficus again please, I had a hard time cleaning all of them out yesterday.

message 17: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) In this group, having the ficus moved in front of you is the equivalent of being marginalized. Ficuzised.

Abigail (42stitches) | 150 comments *shrugs. Sounds just as ridiculous to me.