Our Shared Shelf discussion

Nov/Dec - Sister Outsider etc > Sister Outsider - What is your favourite Audre Lorde quote?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 80 comments I'm reading it in Spanish and I highlighted quite a lot of passages since I think Lord's is making very important points about feminism and society. I'll try to translate some that I think are the most interesting ones.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna | 38 comments I liked the last chapters of Sister Outsider best, from The Master's Tools and on. I was inspired by the many reflections on anger, what is it good for, what are the weaknesses?

For instance this quote from the chapter Eye to Eye:

Anger is useful to help clarify our differences, but in the long run, strength that is bred by anger alone is a blind force which cannot create the future. It can only demolish the past.

message 3: by Magali (new)

Magali (daisymoon) I'm almost finished with the book (I have a couple dozen pages left to read) and I don't think I have ever read a book I wanted to quote as much. I have to really stop myself from highlighting every sentence.

I think my favorite is :

To imply, however, that all women suffer the same oppression simply because we are women is to lose sight of the many varied tools of patriarchy. It is to ignore how those tools are used by women without awareness against each other.

message 4: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 80 comments Same here, though I'm still halfway through it. But I think I highlighted the whole book practically. There are so many great quotes!
One that really struck me and that got me thinking about gender roles is this one:

"Men who are afraid to feel must keep women around to do their feeling for them while dismissing us for the same supposedly "inferior" capacity to feel deeply. But in this way also, men deny themselves their own essential humanity, becoming trapped in dependency and fear."

I think this is one of the issues we have to work on and a stigma we have to break as a society. Teaching men and women not to fear of their feelings is one of the first steps into equality, I think.

message 5: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments I haven't picked up the book yet so I don't know if it is in there, but I absolutely love this quote (might actually slap it on a poster for demonstrations on March 8):

"I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own."

And this one:
"It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences."

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberwallace) | 1 comments I am almost done reading "Sistet Outsider," and a couple quotes that has stuck with me are

"...we must allow each other our differences at the same time as we recognize our sameness."
And,
"I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own."

message 7: by Neda (last edited Feb 28, 2019 01:24AM) (new)

Neda (plavka) | 6 comments I'd say this is my most highlighted book. Here are some of my favorite quotes:

When we define ourselves, when I define myself, the place in which I am like you and the place in which I am not like you, I’m not excluding you from the joining—I’m broadening the joining.
---
What understanding begins to do is to make knowledge available for use, and that’s the urgency, that’s the push, that’s the drive.
---
We can learn to work and speak when we are afraid in the same way we have learned to work and speak when we are tired. For we have been socialized to respect fear more than our own needs for language and definition, and while we wait in silence for that final luxury of fearlessness, the weight of that silence will choke us.
---
The erotic is a resource within each of us that lies in a deeply female and spiritual plane, firmly rooted in the power of our unexpressed or unrecognized feeling.
---
The learning process is something you can incite, literally incite, like a riot. And then, just possibly, hopefully, it goes home, or on.
---
It is not our differences which separate women, but our reluctance to recognize those differences and to deal effectively with the distortions which have resulted from the ignoring and misnaming of those differences.
---
The old patterns, no matter how cleverly rearranged to imitate progress, still condemn us to cosmetically altered repetitions of the same old exchanges, the same old guilt, hatred, recrimination, lamentation, and suspicion.
---
Change means growth, and growth can be painful. But we sharpen self-definition by exposing the self in work and struggle together with those whom we define as different from ourselves, although sharing the same goals.
---
Hatred is the fury of those who do not share our goals, and its object is death and destruction. Anger is a grief of distortions between peers, and its object is change.
---
There are no new ideas, just new ways of giving those ideas we cherish breath and power in our own living.
---
Our struggles are particular, but we are not alone. We are not perfect, but we are stronger and wiser than the sum of our errors.
---
We share a common interest, survival, and it cannot be pursued in isolation from others simply because their differences make us uncomfortable.
---
Pain is an event, an experience that must be recognized, named, and then used in some way in order for the experience to change, to be transformed into something else, strength or knowledge or action.

message 8: by Camille (new)

Camille | 18 comments For French speaking people, here is a link to France Culture radio podcast entitled "Un jour, une vie" ("A day, a life") and relating to Audre Lorde - it's about one jour long: https://www.franceculture.fr/emission...