The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Travels Back in Time

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 411 comments Just recently read Time Travelers Wife, so I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for this task. Thanks!!

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Classic - The Time Machine

And I'd have to dig around for others that I've read in the past. I'm blanking atm.

message 3: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 54 comments Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
and I believe some of the other books in this series also have time travel.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori  (batchelorxyz) | 229 comments Doesn't the Time Machine go forward in time?

message 5: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 54 comments I have not read the book, only saw the film and this was years ago. I thought he did both though, starts off going into the future and then tries to get back and goes to far? Does that sound familiar? Again that's based on the film I don't know how closely the book sticks to the film.

message 6: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) A Knight in Shining Armor is one of my all-time favorite time travel stories.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori  (batchelorxyz) | 229 comments I'm going by the movie also and don't remember him going back, only forward like 500,000 years or something crazy. Maybe someone else can clarify for us. LOL I just wanted you to make sure before you wasted your time. :)

message 8: by Greyweather (last edited Aug 19, 2009 12:28PM) (new)

Greyweather Replay by Ken Grimwood
The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers
Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

Lori (BNPL) wrote: "Doesn't the Time Machine go forward in time?"

Correct.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) Timeline by Michael Crichton

message 10: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Would The Phantom Tollbooth work?

message 11: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments You know what you could do to find a book for this task? Look at time travel shelves.

There are 932 books shelved as time-travel and there are 152 books shelved as timetravel. You could look at books on there are read the description to figure out if they travel forward or backward in time.

Just looking on those briefly, I think I'll either read Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle (I've read the first 3 and have been meaning to read this one) or reread Old Magic by Marianne Curley, which is a REALLY cute YA book.

Artemis Fowl travels back in time in book 6, Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox. Also, Hermione travels back in time a bunch in HP3, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban using that twisty device thing... whatever that was called.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (klc23) | 162 comments Many Waters is one of my favorite L'Engle books!

message 14: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Oh, good!

message 15: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Aug 20, 2009 07:15PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Slayermel wrote: "Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
and I believe some of the other books in this series also have time travel."

Actually all of them do.

And I would second A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court by Twain also.

message 16: by Sarah (Mood Reader) (last edited Aug 20, 2009 08:45PM) (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would Time and Again by Jack Finney work? I wanted to read The Time Traveler's Wife but I am having the hardest time getting my hands on it right now.

message 17: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 20, 2009 08:54PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Sarah wrote: "I wanted to read The Time Traveler's Wife but I am having the hardest time getting my hands on it right now."

DITTO. I'm number 35 of 46 in line at the library, and there are only 3 copies...

message 18: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Sarah wrote: "Would Time and Again by Jack Finney work? I wanted to read The Time Traveler's Wife but I am having the hardest time getting my hands on it right now."

Yes, this should work & it's a lovely novel.

message 19: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1837 comments Knight Errant and The House on the Strand are also time travel.

message 20: by Tani (new)

Tani | 109 comments To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis also involves time travel, and I had a great time reading it. :)

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) | 19 comments I'm stuck on this one too. I've been wanting to read Slaughterhouse-Five... does that count?

message 22: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather Ashley wrote: "I'm stuck on this one too. I've been wanting to read Slaughterhouse-Five... does that count?"

I would say so.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenma) | 101 comments Would Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban count?

message 24: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather Kristen wrote: "Would Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban count?"

"Read A Novel Where One Or More Character(s) Travel Back In Time."

They do exactly that, so yes. :-)

message 25: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments I just found a new paperback on the recommended shelf at my favorite bookstore that seems to work:
Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch
The blurb on the back includes the line, "Then one morning Jillian wakes up seven years in the past." Ta-da!
Warning: It looks somewhat chick-lit-esque (which I like, but I know isn't for everyone)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Sarah wrote: "Would Time and Again by Jack Finney work? I wanted to read The Time Traveler's Wife but I am having the hardest time getting my hands on it right now."

Sarah i have a copy of it if you'd like to borrow it.

message 27: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)

I found this on the time travel popular list

so I can count for this task?

message 28: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Would The Eyre Affair work for this task?

I think I'm going to read The Yiddish Policemen's Union for the Alternative History task, so I'm hoping The Eyre Affair will work for the time travel task as I'd really like to work both into this challenge.

Thanks!

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela | 411 comments Abigail- Thanks for finding that book! You are a lifesaver :)

message 30: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments No problem! I actually accidentally started a VERY similar book last night, without realizing it was the same idea... So if someone wants another choice, try:
The Boy I Loved Before by Jenny Colgan

I'm only on about page 20, so I can't tell you how good it is yet, but it should be easy to find (published 2004) and seems like an easy, British chick lit-y read.

message 31: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Abigail wrote: "No problem! I actually accidentally started a VERY similar book last night, without realizing it was the same idea... So if someone wants another choice, try:
The Boy I Loved Before by Jenny Colgan..."

I just requested it from my library. It looks REALLY cute!

message 32: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I just found Flight: A Novel by Sherman Alexie. It would also work for the native american task.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Will The Time Machine by H.G. Wells count? I'm not sure if someone answered this already because I saw discussion on whether or not this would work but I didn't find an answer..or maybe I just was not looking hard enough :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Oh I found another one that will work for any who are still looking: The Mirror.

message 35: by Megan (new)

Megan | 15 comments I read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court back in January. It was really good, funny and all that. I highly recommend it.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Jamie wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Would Time and Again by Jack Finney work? I wanted to read The Time Traveler's Wife but I am having the hardest time getting my hands on it rig..."

I'd be scared it'd get lost in the mail but thank you so much Jamie. I truly appreciate it!

message 37: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis is super, one of the best books I read in the summer challenge. A great choice for those who prefer Pride and Prejudice to sci-fi

message 38: by Rora (new)

Rora Cindy wrote: "To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis is super, one of the best books I read in the summer challenge. A great choice for those who prefer Pride and Prejudice to sci-fi"

I read that for the summer challenge too. Great book, gave it five stars.

message 39: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 38 comments Kindred by Octavia Butler

The main character travels back to a time in which her relatives were slaves in the American south. I read this book in college and remember liking it.

message 40: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (smalltowncdn) | 0 comments A Handful of Time by Kit Pearson is excellent, and I ditto the recommendations of To Say Nothing of the Dog and Doomsday Book.

message 43: by JSou (last edited Aug 27, 2009 01:35PM) (new)

JSou I was planning on using The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams for this task. I saw a few people had shelved it as time-travel. I haven't read it before, but I just wanted to make sure that the time-travelling was back in time.

Can someone who has read this before let me know? I just wanted to make sure it would be appropriate. Thanks!

message 44: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Jessica wrote: "I was planning on using The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams for this task. I saw a few people had shelved it as time-travel. I haven't read it before, but I just wanted to make sure that the time-travelling was back in time.

Can someone who has read this before let me know? I just wanted to make sure it would be appropriate. Thanks! "

Once you've read it, you'll see why that's such a difficult question to answer... Heehee... YES, there's travel back and forth and up and down and side to side in time. The real question is when you're traveling through time, what are the appropriate verb tenses? (I love that part—you'll see...)

But seriously, they go forward in time for part of it, then go back in time near the end. I don't want to give anything away.

message 45: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Lost in a Good Book does this count?

message 46: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Lost in a Good Book does this count?

message 47: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Teresa wrote: "Lost in a Good Book does this count?"

Teresa - Yes it counts. There is definitely time travel in that book. Enjoy! it is one of my favorites!

message 48: by JSou (new)

JSou Thanks, Sara!

message 49: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Bridgit wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Lost in a Good Book does this count?"

Teresa - Yes it counts. There is definitely time travel in that book. Enjoy! it is one of my favorites!"

message 50: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments Has anyone read Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laura Viera Rigler? A blurb on the back flap says, "a 21st-century woman ... lands unexpectedly in the body of a 19th-century British woman ..." I'm not sure if that counts as time-travel b/c she changes bodies. Or if it ends up that it has some silly "... and then she woke up" sort of ending.

I can always use it for part of Cait's task, but thought I'd see if anyone knows anything more about it over here.

« previous 1