Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

The Island of Doctor Moreau
This topic is about The Island of Doctor Moreau
Archive Sci-fi/Fantasy Reads > November 2018: The Island of Dr Moreau discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick, Moderator II from USA Sci-fi/Fantasy & Horror (new) - added it

Patrick | 728 comments Mod
The Island of Doctor Moreau is an 1896 science fiction novel by English author H.G. Wells. The novel is the narration of Edward Prendick, a mad scientist who creates human-like hybrid beings from animals. The book deals with a number of philosophical themes including pain, cruelty, moral responsibility, human identity, and human interference with nature. Wells describes it as “an exercise in youthful blasphemy.”

Enjoy!!

message 2: by Rafael, Moderator II from Brazil and Master of the Bookshelf! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 587 comments Mod
I read it some months ago. Great story!

Claire  | 251 comments I read it a week ago. And enjoyed it. Easy and short read too.

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Habbie I have read this one. HG Wells seems to have been an inspiration for Jurrassic park here.

message 5: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 3727 comments Any exercise in youthful blasphemy gets my vote!

message 6: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosemarie | 10842 comments Mod
I will be reading it later in the month.

message 7: by Patrick, Moderator II from USA Sci-fi/Fantasy & Horror (new) - added it

Patrick | 728 comments Mod
I’ll read it later this month as well. I’ve been looking forward to this one. I’m trying to finish a few books I’m currently reading.

shannon  Stubbs | 211 comments I just bought it. Will start it soon.

message 9: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael | 29 comments Just started reading it. This has been on my TBR list ever since I saw the old B&W film starring Charles Lawton.

message 10: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't know whether I would like this or not, having seen bits and pieces of movie versions over the years.
I enjoyed it much more than I expected, mainly because of the narrator. His story and thoughts really grabbed me.
A four star read for me.

shannon  Stubbs | 211 comments I kind of felt bad for the Beast people.

message 12: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

So did I. It was a terrible thing that Moreau was doing, and all for no good reason, just curiosity.