Chicks On Lit discussion

me in 08

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:43AM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
So one of my goals this year is to read atleast 3 books a month. So far so good. I have hooked up as friends with a lot of you but it is so hard sometimes to see what someone has just added vs what they have added that they just read. Not only that but sometimes you finish a book and you just want to shout about it and know that someone somewhere heard your shout.
With that in mind I am going to start this as my list in 08, and list the books I have read thus far JUST in '08 and update it as I read more. Feel free to start your own list/thread and it can maybe be an easier way for everyone to keep up on what weve read and what we think of those books.

1/08
Rhett Butler's People~ Donald McCaig (No GWTW but better than Scarlett)
The Kite Runner~Khaled Hosseini (beautiful)
The Memory Keeper's Daughter~Kim Edwards (potential but didn't hit it for me)
Taking Hold: My journey into Blindness ~ Sally Hobart Alexander (interesting)

2/08
Three Cups of Tea ~ Greg Mortenson (Loved the story didn't like the writing)
Water for Elephants ~ Sara Gruen (A little raw but I liked it)
A Thousand Splendid Suns~Khaled Hosseini (proved he wasnt a one hit wonder)
Five Quarters of the Orange ~ Joanne Harris (Didn't love or hate it)
Ya-Ya's In Bloom ~ Rebecca Wells (true ya ya style)

3/08
A Long Way Down ~ Nick Hornby (Funniest book ever about suicide)
About a Boy ~ Nick Hornby (It was okay)
Jane Austen Bookclub ~ Karen Joy Fowler (good not great)

4/08
The Red Tent Anita Diamant (LOVED it)
Last Night at the Lobster Stewart O'Nan(painfully boring to read)
Loving Frank Nancy Horan (Hated the characters)

5/08
The Book Theif ~ Markus Zusak (Loved it)
And Old Fashioned Girl ~ Louisa May Alcot (predictable but cute)
The Wind Done Gone ~ Alice Randall (blech)
I am Messenger ~ Markus Zusak (Liked not Loved)
Red Leather Diary ~ Lily Koppel (More time away less I liked it)
One for the Money ~ Janet Evanovich (FUNNY)

6/08
Two for the Dough ~ Janet Evanovich (Just as good as the first)
The Constant Princess ~ Philippa Gregory (Great Read)
Three to Get Deadly ~ Janet Evanovich (Love these Characters)
Plain Truth ~ Jodi Picoult (Liked it but angry too)
Four to Score ~ Janet Evanovich (Score indeed)
High Five ~ Janet Evanovich (Grr a cliffhanger!)

7/08
East of Eden ~ John Steinbeck (work of ART!)
Hot Six ~ Janet Evanovich
Seven Up ~ Janet Evanovich
Hard Eight ~ Janet Evanovich (waiting on 9)
The Knitting Circle ~ Ann Hood (Good Read)
The Other Boleyn Girl ~ Phillipa Gregory (MUCH better than the movie)
My French Whore ~ Gene Wilder (Sweet story)

8/08
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time ~ Mark Haddon (wasn't a favorite)
The Boleyn Inheritence ~ Phillipa Gregory (Good but not as good)
The Queens Fool ~ Phillipa Gregory (Got into it about halfway through)
Twilight ~ Stephanie Meyers (Anne Rice writes for Sweet Valley High)

9/08
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows (LOVED IT!)
To the Nines - Janet Evanovich (funny)
Ten Big Ones - Janet Evanovich (still funny)
Eleven on Top - Janet Evanovich (still funny fun)

10/08
Twelve Sharp - Janet Evanovich (same funny)
Lean Mean Thirteen - Janet Evanovich (my guilty pleasure)
The Glass Castle: A Memoir - Jeannette Walls (not worth the hype)
The Heretic's Daughter - Kathleen Kent (well done)

11/08
Fearless Fourteen - Janet Evanovich (laughable)
The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry (stayed with me)
The Other Queen - Phillipa Gregory (okayish)

12/08
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold (dark yet sweet)
The Birth House Ami McKay (I liked it)
My Forbidden Face: Growing up Under the Taliban Latifa (easy informative read)

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I made it! i thought for sure I wouldn't finish 3 this month. For some reason I couldn't get into a book like I had in past months.
I just finishes Jane Austen Bookclub tonight and that was my 3rd book. I ended on a postive note. A cute fun happy book.
Now onto April....
Wish me luck!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) good for you!

i think i've got reading add or something! it takes me forever to find a book to get into, them i'm into only that one, then i can't get into anything again for a long time! yeesh!

message 4: by Rolana (new)

Rolana | 22 comments You go girl! I'm impressed.

Did you know Memory Keeper's Daughter was made into a movie and it will be on Lifetime this month. I loved that book and I can't wait to see it! But movies are never as good as the book.

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Mandy ^ I loved that book and didn't even hear a whisper it was being made into a movie. After reading it I thought they should and now I can't wait to see it!!

message 6: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I didnt hear it was a movie either. Any fun names they got to be in it?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) life time movies never live up to the books (my opinion!) ~ for example, sue monk kidd's 'the mermaid chair' was such a good book, the movie?! not so much! (had potential though!) i'll probably watch the memory keeper's daughter anyway though!

message 8: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments re: Memory Keeper's Daughter.

I was surprised it was only a lifetime movie. Well maybe not really surprised. The book didn't impress me and I wouldn't have seen it as a feature length pay $10 per person movie.

I remember seeing the previews but I don't remember the actors. I want to say one is Dermont Mulrooney (SP?). That was the guy from My Best Friend's Wedding. I remember him for some reason because he was so cute in that movie. But I could be wrong. Maybe he has something else coming out that I'm not thinking of.

message 9: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I couldnt help it I had to google it after you mentioned Dermot ( I think hes dreamy). Here is the information http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/movie... There is also a link there to an interview with the author for any fans. Looks like it premiers the 12th of this month.

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I'm not sure we'll get to see it in Aust, bugger :-(

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandila) | 75 comments Great list Tera. I wish I'd kept up with my books starting in Jan. but I didn't until I found the link on 2P's for this site so I guess I'll have to keep up with it from the day I joined, I'll have to go back and look.

I can't wait to see The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I'd hoped it turned out differently but oh well, I didn't write it.

Sandy

message 12: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
absolutely! Dont late a silly thing like january 1 stop you from starting today what you want to do. Make a goal today and start your list here just to keep track if you want. I love this group because when I make a goal or share a thought I am more likely to keep it because Its 'out there' its in print and more real. Not only that I have all of you to kick me in the pants if I slack off :).
So dont worry if you didnt start a goal in January. Let April 5th be your january 1. I would love to see your lists for the month and the months to come.

Oh and I liked 5 quarters of the Orange. I thought it was good. As Randy Jackson would say "it was a little pitchy in parts dawg but overall it was nice. Just nice."

message 13: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
OH My Goodnight.
I cant believe I made it this month.
4/08
The Red Tent (LOVED it)
Last Night at the Lobster (Yawn)
Loving Frank (mixed)

I admit I only read last night at the lobster because it was short and I knew i was going to be in danger of meeting my goal this month.
But I did!

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Three cheers! Awesome Tera. Keep it up!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) you go girl! (sorry! i'm tired & need to get to bed!)

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Three books a month...that is AWESOME Tera! I am very impressed. I try to make up for slow reading during the summer. Thanks for the suggestions as well!

message 17: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
OH my goodness I forgot to update my list for May and June. So far so good I actually met and doubled my goal each of those months reading 6 in both May and June (my goal is 3) Heres my list

5/08
The Book Theif ~ Markus Zusak (Loved it)
And Old Fashioned Girl ~ Louisa May Alcot (predictable but cute)
The Wind Done Gone ~ Alice Randall (blech)
I am Messenger ~ Markus Zusak (Liked not Loved)
Red Leather Diary ~ Lily Koppel (More time away less I liked it)
One for the Money ~ Janet Evanovich (FUNNY)

6/08
Two for the Dough ~ Janet Evanovich (Just as good as the first)
The Constant Princess ~ Philippa Gregory (Great Read)
Three to Get Deadly ~ Janet Evanovich (Love these Characters)
Plain Truth ~ Jodi Picoult (Liked it but angry too)
Four to Score ~ Janet Evanovich (Score indeed)
High Five ~ Janet Evanovich (Grr a cliffhanger!)

message 18: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Holy moly, Tera!! You are are like Lightening McRead!! How did you ever squeeze in so many books?!

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Hee hee! Lightning McRead. I've never heard that one before. Can I steal it, Roxy? :)

message 20: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
7/08
East of Eden ~ John Steinbeck (work of ART!)
Hot Six ~ Janet Evanovich
Seven Up ~ Janet Evanovich
Hard Eight ~ Janet Evanovich (waiting on 9)
The Knitting Circle ~ Ann Hood (Good Read)
The Other Boleyn Girl ~ Phillipa Gregory (MUCH better than the movie)
My French Whore ~ Gene Wilder (Sweet story)

8/08
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time ~ Mark Haddon (wasn't a favorite)
The Boleyn Inheritence ~ Phillipa Gregory (Good but not as good)
The Queens Fool ~ Phillipa Gregory (Got into it about halfway through)
Twilight ~ Stephanie Meyers (Anne Rice writes for Sweet Valley High)

message 21: by Laura (last edited Sep 23, 2008 09:31AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Boy, perfect way to describe Twilight!

Hey congratulations on keeping up your goal! I think that's a good one, because it's actually do-able if you focus on it. Some of these bloggers that read like 100 books every year .... I'm like, what ? I don't know how they do it.

Wait a minute, I've been re-looking at your list - you're almost one of those people!!!

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments PS - Tera if you like Steinbeck, you might want to try this one - it's a nonfiction book by him. I LOVED it. He really deserves the hype. He is one of my Gods.

Travels with Charley: In Search of America

message 23: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Oh after I read East of Eden I did a closer look at his other works and this one did look good. I am so disappointed I put off reading him for so long. I read Mice and Men in High School and i HATED IT. I still have NO desire to go back to that book. Because of that my view of him was forever tainted. I had heard so many good things about this book though and vaguely remembered the James Dean movie. I really want to read more "classic" literature and have tried to incorporate that into my monthly reading by reading atleast one "classic" along with everything else. I am SO glad I did. I just can not say enough about this book. I thought it was brilliant. Truly a masterpiece if ever there was one in the world of lit. I think you could spend an entire college course discussing just this one book.

message 24: by Laura (last edited Sep 23, 2008 10:02AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I haven't read Of Mice & Men yet, hmm dont know if I will now ;) But I had to read Cannery Row in school and I didn't much like it. I went on a classic kick though, and made myself actually read some of the classics I was supposed to read in school and never did. Anyway, long story short, I wound up re-reading Cannery Row, liking it, and then reading the sequel to it, Sweet Thursday, then moving on from there into some of his other stuff.

But I have to say - Trav. w/Charley is in my opinion his best of what I've read. Every chapter is like a word poem. I love that, because I write poetry, and so I wound up journalling SO many quotes from that book. I should have just photocopied it and put it in my journal LOL

I was just thinking - how many books that someone MADE you read DID you like? I know for me, not many ! I loved reading while I was in school, but HATED being told what to read. Hell I hate being told to do anything!

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments THAT would be a good book to randomly leave in a public place. A really good one. Hmm....

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments I loved Travels with Charley! I second your opinion, Laura. :)

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I still remember this quote: "....In the end, we don't take a trip. A trip takes us."

There was a whole leadup that made it really beautiful, but . . .

LOVED it LOVED it.

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments This is a very sweet thread, you guys! Awwwwwww!

(btw, I'm giggling about Tera's "twilight" description, too!)

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferstorm) | 14 comments I had to laugh about your comment on Twilight--I love that and I LOVE Anne Rice!!!

I also agree with your comments on The Memory Daughters Keeper--it was a hard for me to get through at times and I believe Dermot Mulroney and Gretchen Mol played the lead roles in the Lifetime movie.

I never like the movie over the book. I just read The Tenth Circle and then saw the Lifetime movie and HATED IT because it didn't incorporate the comic stuff AT ALL!!! which in my humble opinion was the best part of the book.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Tera, again, you're amazing!

Personally, Twilight made me want to puke!

message 31: by April (new)

April (contusions96) I haven't read Twilight yet but its in my to read pile.
I LOVE East of Eden. Serious one of the best books ever written. Another one I really liked by Steinbeck was Tortilla Flat.
And, I completely agree that "The Other Boleyn Girl" was way better than the movie. I was so disappointed because I love the book!

message 32: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments Here are my 2008 reads...or, the ones I have tracked since joining GoodReads in July...

07-08
The Faith Club: A Muslim, A Christian, A Jew--Three Women Search for Understanding

Change of Heart- Picoult

Makeup Makeovers: Expert Secrets for Stunning Transformations

Sephora: The Ultimate Guide to Makeup, Skin, and Hair from the Beauty Authority

Real Simple: The Organized Home

Real Simple Solutions: Tricks, Wisdom and Easy Ideas to Simplify Everyday

Real Simple: Cleaning

In Style Parties (The Complete Guide to Easy, Elegant Entertaining)

Real Simple: Celebrations

Harvesting the Heart- Picoult

Face Forward

Packaging Girlhood: Rescuing Our Daughters from Marketers' Schemes

Husbandry: Sex, Love & Dirty Laundry--Inside the Minds of Married Men

08-08
Marley Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog

Life on the Refrigerator Door: Notes Between a Mother and a Daughter

Coming Out- Steel

That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Secret Lives of Girls: What Good Girls Really Do--Sex Play, Aggression, and Their Guilt

Getting Near to Baby

Hunger Point: A Novel

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence

Love Respect: The Love She Most Desires, the Respect He Desperately Needs

Free Gift with Purchase: My Improbable Career in Magazines and Makeup

The Lorax- Seuss

09-08
The Penny: A Novel

Three Little Words: A Memoir

The Luxe

A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive

In Search of Eden

Debutante: Rites and Regalia of American Debdom

Listening with My Heart

Sisters- Steel

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I checked out the Life on the Refrig. Door & my daughter picked it up and read it before me. We both cried. It was a quick read, a good mother/daughter read.

I like the idea of simplifying every day - maybe those Real Simple books would do it ??

message 34: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments I LOVE the Real Simple books. They are written by the editors of the magazine. They are so fresh, streamlined, informative. They have awesome pictures, too. I think the Cleaning and Organized Home were my favorites.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Thanks, those are the 2 I just requested from the library. They are holding them on the shelf for pickup! Hee hee!!!

message 36: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
If I can read three books in December than I have made my new years goal for the year! Next year I'm going to bump it up a little bit I think

9/08
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows (LOVED IT!)
To the Nines - Janet Evanovich (funny)
Ten Big Ones - Janet Evanovich (still funny)
Eleven on Top - Janet Evanovich (still funny fun)

10/08
Twelve Sharp - Janet Evanovich (same funny)
Lean Mean Thirteen - Janet Evanovich (my guilty pleasure)
The Glass Castle: A Memoir - Jeannette Walls (not worth the hype)
The Heretic's Daughter - Kathleen Kent (well done)

11/08
Fearless Fourteen - Janet Evanovich (laughable)
The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry (stayed with me)
The Other Queen - Phillipa Gregory (okayish)

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments This is a great goal Tera!!! I think I will have to try this for 2009!

message 38: by Thauna (new)

Thauna I love this thread! I think I'll be doing good to hit one book a month in 2009 and I'll make that my goal. I just started my master's program, so that eats up my reading for pleasure time. dang it!

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Tera, you'll have to let us know what your grand total number of books ended up being. More than 36, I'm sure!!!

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments I just counted. 49 so far. Dayum! :) Color me impressed!!!

message 41: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
53 books in 08!
My goal was 3 a month and I exceeded that in some months and just barely made it in others. I am thinking next year of making it 4 books a month.
My December list.
12/08
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold (dark yet sweet)
The Birth House Ami McKay (I liked it)
My Forbidden Face: Growing up Under the Taliban Latifa (easy informative read)

message 42: by Mary (last edited Dec 29, 2008 10:24PM) (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments teri wrote: "I think I have read 3 books/month so far, at least since February. Should we all add ours? Also I'm wondering what you thought of Five Quarters of an orange. My favorite recent reads are The Gla..."

I loved The Glass Castle...I just love a well written and brutally honest memoir.
I've listed it as one of my favorite memoirs.

message 43: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandila) | 75 comments Good for you Tera. I made it to 58 books this year. My goal was 50 so I think I did okay. I'm going to try harder next year. This was the first year I ever kept up with what I read. It was fun to do. Finding this group was also instrumental in helping me to keep up and try more books.

message 44: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Tera I like your short and to the point reviews above.

What would everyone say was their favorite read of this year?

message 45: by Holli (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:25AM) (new)

Holli My fave was The 13th Tale I think....but I also loved The Shack too......