Richard III discussion

Something completely random....

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (last edited Aug 21, 2009 12:15PM) (new)

Robin | 142 comments So I was bored the other day and was browsing the internet when I realized that there hadn't really been a movie about Richard in many years (at least one that really told his story). That set me to thinking...if I was a movie producer making a movie about R3, who would I cast in the various roles?

This is what I came up with so far. Please feel free to let me know if there's someone you feel would be better suited for a role! I'm not too up on my actors and actresses! :)

Richard, Duke of Gloucester - Daniel Day-Lewis Jason Isaacs

Edward IV - Gerard Butler (he's so dreamy and I'd love to drool over him for a while)

Anne Neville - Moira Kelly

Elizabeth Woodville - Joan Allen Gwynneth Paltrow

Cecily Neville - Glenn Close

Warwick - Mel Gibson (come on, you know you'd like to see him in another part like this...too bad he can't wear a kilt)

George, Duke of Clarence - Billy Zane (can't you just see him playing this arrogant part??)

Henry Stafford, Duke of Buckingham - Paul Bettany

Elizabeth of York -

Henry Tudor -

Margaret Beaufort - Meryl Streep

Jaquetta, Duchess of Bedford - Jacqueline Bisset

Marguerite d'Anjou - Juliette Binoche

Henry VI - Jake Weber

message 2: by Joan (last edited Aug 19, 2009 07:59AM) (new)

Joan Szechtman | 401 comments Ever since I got hooked on Trueblood I've thought that Stephen Moyer would make a great Richard, even though he's a little taller (5'10") than I imagine Richard was.

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments I think casting Billy Zane as Clarence would be great, I'd love to hate him as George!

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_reed) | 42 comments I liked him in Last of the Mohicans, however, I would tend to think you'd need a much younger actor for Richard, considering that Richard was what...32 when he lost Bosworth? I think Day is out of the running. ;-)

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments Jenn wrote: "I liked him in Last of the Mohicans, however, I would tend to think you'd need a much younger actor for Richard, considering that Richard was what...32 when he lost Bosworth? I think Day is out of ..."

Yeah...I thought about that after posting it.

message 6: by Susan (last edited Aug 20, 2009 09:35AM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments Dare I say that I think that Jonathan Rhys Meyers or James Frain (both from "The Tudors") would make good Richards? (Bearing in mind that my conception of Richard is darker than most on this forum.) And Annabelle Wallis would make a good Anne.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 81 comments Agree with the Day-Lewis -- he would now be too old. Either Rhys Meyers or Jason Isaacs would do it for me. Both can display charm, but also have a record of playing bad guys. Neither is a conventional 'hero', which is I think the esssence of R3 -- you need someone that some people like and others loathe. I think the suggestions of Streep for M. Beaufort and Glenn Close for Cecily are brilliant.

For Elizabeth, I'm not sure about Joan Allen. She's an excellent actress, but not quite enough froideur. What about Gwynneth Paltrow? She could nail the accent and has the right level of poise, and is very good at doing ice maidens. Or even Scarlet Johanssen. (SP??)

message 8: by Robin (last edited Aug 21, 2009 11:05AM) (new)

Robin | 142 comments I like the G. Paltrow suggestion and the ones for R3. I'm headed over to my blog to change the folks I had listed to some of the ones suggested here. :) Any better suggestions for Elizabeth of York?

I knew I could count on y'all to come up with some better actors/actresses for some of these roles. :) Too bad I don't have the money or the talent to do something like this. :)

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 81 comments For Eliz of York, you'd want someone with a round face, soft (no sharp angles/cheekbones) and kind of a calm expression. And also fair hair (or able to carry off a fair-haired wig. I'm just not up to speed with many younger actresses...

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 81 comments Jacqueline Bissett would be ideal for Jacquetta of Bedford... (quite aside from the 'initial' similarity...)

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 81 comments Paul Bettany as Buckingham, anyone?
And someone like Anne Hathaway for Elizabeth of York -- that kind of look.

message 12: by Robin (last edited Aug 21, 2009 12:01PM) (new)

Robin | 142 comments Oh this is getting even more fun!

I added Jacqueline B for Jacquetta and Paul Bettany as Buckingham.

I like Anne Hathaway...but isn't her coloring a bit too dark for Elizabeth? Even if her hair was blonde? I considered Drew Berrymore...but she just doesn't seem to fit the role to me.

I have this as a post (almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com) on my blog...complete with pictures and I'm updating it as I get input from everyone here. :)

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 81 comments How funny, Robin, I was thinking of Drew Barrymore as well, but I agree, she has a strong personality, and it's not that of an ingenue! Yes, Hathaway's coloring is too dark, though she might be able to carry off auburn coloring? But someone with that kind of youth and kind of 'everygirl' freshness/softness.

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 81 comments Juliette Binoche as Marguerite d'Anjou? she is a great character actress, and Marguerite (we forget) was actually quite young. Even during that failed effort to regain the throne, she was only about 40, much younger than Cecily Neville, for instance.

message 15: by Robin (last edited Aug 21, 2009 12:24PM) (new)

Robin | 142 comments What about Anna Paquin for E of York?

I'm still drawing a blank when it comes to Anne Neville and Henry Tudor. Maybe Jim Caviezel? Though I think he may be too good looking for the part of Henry.

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 81 comments you almost want a young and slightly taller Woody Allen (without the mannerisms that make him Woody Allen). I mean, in terms of looks.