Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2018 Challenge Archive > 2018 November Word Hunt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19170 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 November 2018

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE. There is no page limit.

0-3 words : better luck next time
3-5 words : warming up
6-8 words : getting hotter
9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!

November
autopilot
blunt
bittersweet
crisp
duel
explicit
magnet
moon
nurse
rival

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

audacity
barren
diary
parrot
refugee

and a bonus bonus
bovine

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

Examples for 'Reversal'
Reverse - Laser Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19170 comments Example post:

Word Hunt - January
1 Jan - 31 Jan 2015

Word found: 10/10
Book completed: 7

Merry Gentlemen √ 1 Jan
bowl
Undertow √ 4 Jan
bartender, king, mourning
Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
champagne, molasses
Obernewtyn √ 9 Jan
diary
Inestimable Blessings √ 9 Jan
blood
Starfish and Coffee √ 12 Jan
grandmother
Dom Wars: Round One √ 12 Jan
dreamed

1. BARTENDER - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p113 - (Which was Sunday and Monday - Saturday was a busy night on the bartender/club scene.
2. CHAMPAGNE - Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
p180-181 - The doorman greeted him inside the foyer and waved his past - no need to check the guest list for his name - and he grabbed a glass of champagne from a tray and looked around.
3. BOWL Merry Gentlemen √ 1 Jan
p11 - "Another hippy bloke selling hand-turned bowls and crap like that."
4. KING - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p48 - Roan was the king of the jungle, and he should have no problem subduing cats; it was shat he did, sometimes without intention.
5. DREAM - Dom Wars: Round One √ 12 Jan
LOC 756: I'd never have dreamed just holding a person's hand could be such a turn on.
6. MOURN - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p262 - Because, come to think about it, you could confuse remorse for mourning, especially in a naturally depressed person.
7. GRANDMOTHER - Starfish and Coffee √ 12 Jan
p98-99 - "... He put your grandmother on a pedestal until the day she died. ..."
8. DIARY - Obernewtyn √ 9 Jan
p231 - Alexi took the diary, opened it, and held it in front of my eyes.
9. MOLASSES - Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
p217 - "You move like molasses, my pet."
10. BLOOD - Inestimable Blessings √ 9 Jan
p46-47: Lee shivered, overwhelmed by the attraction simmering in his blood.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19170 comments Tips for finding words - courtesy of Jennifer ♔Princess Penguin♔

Using Google books:
~Go here https://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&...
~Type in the name of your book
~Select your book
~On the left about midway down there will be a search bar, type your word in there.

Couple of things you need to know...
~you need to check every variety of the word you want so, let's say GROUP doesn't show up you would also need to type in GROUPS/ED/ING
~Unfortunately, 99% of the books on Google does not list page numbers (at least in my experience)

Using Amazon:
~You search for your book
~Once on your book page make sure you are on a version that is paperback or hardcover (Kindle editions will not work)
~On the left there will be a picture of your book and it should have "Search Inside" above it
~Click on the book and the search bar will be inside

You will not need to search separately for plurals but you will still need to search separately for -ed and -ing

You can also search for words in all the books loaded on your Kindle.

On the home page, use the 'search' function.
~ type in the word and select 'search my items'.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19170 comments My spot

message 5: by Georgina (last edited Nov 17, 2018 12:25AM) (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 249 comments Words read 10/10 | bonus words read 6/6 | books read 6/6

autopilot:
LOC 3123 “He let his mind rest while he went on autopilot. Water Bound 8/11
blunt: LOC 1783 “Her hands were callused and strong, with nails trimmed blunt.”Cry Wolf 6/11
bittersweet: LOC 835 “... she closed her eyes as sensation after sensation sent waves of bittersweet pain through her...” Capturing Cara 9/11
crisp: LOC 694 “He sat next to Charles and brought with him the crisp scent of snow over leather.” Cry Wolf 6/11
duel: LOC 1400 "... the prospect of a duel was to remind him the way Andrew's father had died and get his hackles up." Intentions of the Earl 3/11
explicit: LOC 2627 "How about I describe to you in explicit detail what I was going to do to you..." Intentions of the Earl 3/11
magnet: LOC 1847 “... moving toward her, as if she were a magnet. Water Bound 8/11
moon: LOC 856 “He didn’t really understand what had happened until the morning after the first full moon...” Cry Wolf 6/11
nurse: LOC 2354 "... he was immediately handed over to a bitter, old nurse who took care of him the entire time." Intentions of the Earl 3/11
rival: LOC 1874 “That could rival Alaric’s play.“ Too Wilde to Wed 11/11

Bonus -
audacity:
LOC 2118 “... had the audacity to fly back to him and run her tongue up his face before taking off again.” Capturing Cara 9/11
barren: LOC 5872 “His world was stark and barren...” Water Bound 8/11
diary: LOC 3730 “I attempted a diary once, and had to fill it with lies in order to keep myself interested.” Too Wilde to Wed 11/11
parrot: LOC 783 “... described as a cross between a parrot and a fancy chicken.” Too Wilde to Wed 11/11
refugee: LOC 1354 “Maybe she was a surpressed nudist colony refugee, she thought lazily.” Capturing Cara 9/11
bovine: LOC 752 “...artificial bovine growth hormone...” Darkness Dawns 17/11

message 6: by Tammie (last edited Nov 27, 2018 09:10AM) (new)

Tammie | 1616 comments November Word Hunt

Read:
10/10
Bonus Read: 5/5
Bonus-Bonus Read: 1/1

√ 11/10 autopilot: Crazy Rich Asians, pg 211 of 527, Even while she was on conversational autopilot with her family, she...

√ 11/7 blunt: Magic Rises, pg 215 of 356, The nurse I didn’t expect them to be so blunt.

√ 11/10 bittersweet: Crazy Rich Asians, pg 266 of 527, "It's creamy and bittersweet, with a rich tan head."

√ 11/8 crisp: Sleep No More, loc 258 of 5806 In her nurse’s uniform, she should have looked crisp and businesslike, but the white made her red hair blaze in contrast, and she exuded an overpowering sexuality.

√ 11/2 duel: The Forbidden, pg 37 of 356, Our tongues duel, our bodies press together, and it’s beyond any level of pleasure I thought possible.

√ 11/10 explicit: Crazy Rich Asians, pg 65 of 527, ...to stay at his grandmother's house without her explicit invitation.

√ 11/11 magnet: A Little Night Murder, pg 195 of 378 ...were surrounded by file cabinets covered with silly magnets, a messy...

√ 11/8 moon: Sleep No More, loc 183 of 5806 The air was clear and cool, and the waning moon cast silver paths on the lake.

√ 11/8 nurse: Sleep No More, loc 27 of 5806 The nurse who was usually on duty at the desk of this private wing had left...

√ 11/2 rival: Strong, loc 1072 of 1665, He studied his rivals for years, only challenging them when he was good and ready, and never letting his ambition cloud his choice.

Bonus
√ 11/5 audacity: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, pg 32 of 327, Such audacity. I don't know where I found the courage.

√ 11/15 barren: Thinking In Pictures, Expanded Edition: My Life With Autism, pg 88 of 306, Zoo animals kept in barren concrete cages become bored and often develop...

√ 11/5 diary: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, pg 31 of 327, She took out her diary.

√ 11/5 parrot: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, pg 50 of 327, My beautiful Polly, prosaically described as a parrot plant, sometimes...

√ 11/24 refugee: All of Me, loc 1470 of 3855, "... Others were taken to a refugee camp. ..."

Bonus/Bonus
√ 11/15 bovine: Thinking In Pictures, Expanded Edition: My Life With Autism, loc 150 if 4251, ...from the animal to the spiritual, from the bovine to the transcendent.

Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1) by Kevin Kwan Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6) by Ilona Andrews Sleep No More (Eve Duncan, #15) by Iris Johansen The Forbidden by Jodi Ellen Malpas A Little Night Murder (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #10) by Nancy Martin Strong (Stage Dive #4.5; 1001 Dark Nights #88) by Kylie Scott Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman Thinking In Pictures, Expanded Edition My Life With Autism by Temple Grandin All of Me (The Bridesmaids Club, #1) by Leeanna Morgan

message 7: by Calila (last edited Dec 02, 2018 12:07AM) (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Already?!

Mine!

12/16 + 0/4 (view spoiler)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1070 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 November 2018

autopilot
blunt
bittersweet
crisp
duel
explicit
magnet
moon
nurse
rival

Bonus
audacity
barren
diary
parrot
refugee

and a bonus bonus
bovine

message 9: by Nicole (last edited Nov 18, 2018 08:36PM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I'm in again, with all my orphans as well

2018 November Word Hunt

Regular Words: 10/10 found

✓ Autopilot: In a Bind by Tess Oliver (09/11) ★★★
"...because my horse was on autopilot and I didn't need..." Page 91

✓ Blunt: Sacred Sins by Nora Roberts (01/11) ★★★
"His fingers were blunt and wide..." Page 94

✓ Bittersweet: The Real Deal: A Novel by Lauren Blakely (02/11) ★★★★
"...movie train romances are also bittersweet , so those don't fit." Page 59

✓ Crisp: Sacred Sins by Nora Roberts (01/11) ★★★
"...outside into the crisp bite of the November morning." Page 211

✓ Duel: Vampire Thirst by Ella J. Phoenix (06/11) ★★★
"If a duel is inevitable..." Loc 698

✓ Explicit: Cowboy and the Captive by Lora Leigh (13/11) ★★★
"...he talked to him, in explicit terms." Loc 389

✓ Magnet: Dirty Headlines by L.J. Shen (10/11) ★★★
"...he seemed to have a magnetic power over me every time..." Loc 4113

✓ Moon: The Real Deal: A Novel by Lauren Blakely (02/11) ★★★★
"...sent a man to the moon and invented stain remover." Page 92

✓ Nurse: Vampire Thirst by Ella J. Phoenix (06/11) ★★★
"...leaving the nurse to his chores." Loc 2984

✓ Rival: In a Bind by Tess Oliver (09/11) ★★★
"...with a yawn that could rival that of a male lion..." Page 5

In a Bind (Plaything, #3) by Tess Oliver Sacred Sins (D.C. Detectives, #1) by Nora Roberts The Real Deal by Lauren Blakely Vampire Thirst (Dragon Heat #2) by Ella J. Phoenix Cowboy and the Captive (Cowboys and Captives, #1) by Lora Leigh Dirty Headlines by L.J. Shen

Bonus Words: 5/5 found

✓ Audacity: The Hook-Up Experiment by Emma Hart (07/11) ★★★
"....the more their audacity pissed me off." Page 65

✓ Barren: And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (18/11) ★★★★
"...his family staying on a barren field near the old..." Page 381

✓ Diary: The Hook-Up Experiment by Emma Hart (07/11) ★★★
"...idea until I read the diary I had no idea she kept..." Page 60

✓ Parrot: The Real Deal: A Novel by Lauren Blakely (02/11) ★★★★
"...that Disney turned into a parrot in Aladdin." Page 246

✓ Refugee: Dirty Headlines by L.J. Shen (10/11) ★★★
"...uploaded this video, documenting a Syrian refugee trying to smuggle..." Loc 3559

The Hook-Up Experiment (The Experiment, #1) by Emma Hart And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini The Real Deal by Lauren Blakely Dirty Headlines by L.J. Shen

Bonus Bonus
✓ Bovine: And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (18/11) ★★★★
"...willfully taking on a muted bovine expression..." Page 124

Orphans
1. Gamy
✓ Ladybug: The Real Deal: A Novel by Lauren Blakely (02/11) ★★★★
"...B and B with a ladybug theme." Page 100

3. Unequal
4. Pharaoh
✓ Macabre: Vampire Thirst by Ella J. Phoenix (06/11) ★★★
"...it were added to the macabre memories from the past..." Loc 1202

message 10: by Barbara ★ (last edited Dec 07, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3545 comments November Word Hunt

READ: 14/16

autopilot - Sprinkle with Murder - Jenn McKinlay 11/10
(she was on autopilot), p195

blunt - Beautiful Sacrifice - Elizabeth Lowell 11/4
(a blunt blade of nobility), p53

bittersweet - The Bronze Horseman - Paullina Simons 11/2
(a bittersweet tingle remained), p530

crisp - Full Speed - Janet Evanovich/Charlotte Hughes 11/7
(wore crisp uniforms), p328

duel - Muse of Nightmares - Laini Taylor 11/22
(could only end in a duel), p91

explicit -
(), p

magnet - Dead End Dating - Kimberly Raye 11/10
(isn't much of a chick magnet), p60

moon - Beautiful Sacrifice - Elizabeth Lowell 11/4
(I was grinning at the moon), p11

nurse - The Bronze Horseman - Paullina Simons 11/2
(let me have the nurse take care of you), p430

rival - Beautiful Sacrifice - Elizabeth Lowell 11/4
(to get one up on a rival), p298

Bonus
audacity - Somewhere in the Shallow Sea - Dennis Macaraeg 11/8
(he even had the audacity), p126

barren - The Bronze Horseman - Paullina Simons 11/2
(shelled everyday and stood barren), p323

diary - The Bronze Horseman - Paullina Simons 11/2
(jot down small things in her diary), p55

parrot - The Hypnotist - Lars Kepler 11/9
(decorated with a parrot), p15

refugee - The Bronze Horseman - Paullina Simons 11/2
(and claim refugee status), p668

and a bonus bonus
bovine -
(), p

message 11: by Roger - president of NBR United - (last edited Nov 17, 2018 09:54AM) (new)

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 986 comments Words read 9/10 | bonus words read 2/6 | books read 5/?

autopilot:
blunt: Unwrapping Hank loc 1288 : "You like Hank, Don't you?" Lilith asked me bluntly. Nov 6
bittersweet: Let It Snow loc 2111 They spent a good half hour with Mimi, and her hair Frankie did touch up, though it was bittersweet because she was having a bad morning and could,barely remember Marcus, let alone Frankie. Nov 13
crisp: Unwrapping Hank loc 1792: The sky was Light blue above and pink-white at the horizion, crisp and cold on a winter afternoon. Nov 6
duel: Unwrapping Hank loc 810: Micah started mimicking that Dueling Banjo song. Nov 6
explicit: Now I had explicit permission to explore, investigate, and enter any part of his body. Loving Jay loc 1905 Nov 16
magnet: Jocks were his personal kryptonite; they made his knees turn into magnets, headed straight for the floor. Love Me Tenor loc 88 Nov 16
moon: Everyone else can jump over the moon Loving Jay loc 2252 Nov 16
nurse: "Jalen?" an older nurse came into the wing room. Love Me Tenor loc 2824 Nov 16
rival: Latakia loc 4383 Given the popularity among the Navy and Marines, and plus the presence of cheap alcohol, it wasn't unusual for the rivalry between the two branches to manifest itself a little too physically. Nov 11

Bonus -
audacity:
barren: It was the first time he'd ever said the words outside of the show, and they ricocheted of the barren walls of the long hallway, headed straight for his heart. Love Me Tenor loc 2838 Nov 16
diary:
parrot:
refugee: Let It Snow loc 340 Jesus, Frankie even sounded like Steve, except their snow refugee had more of that soft-spoken lilting-lisp tonal quality to his voice than Marcus's ex ever had. Nov 13
bovine:

message 12: by Peri (last edited Nov 19, 2018 09:08AM) (new)

Peri June (perijune) | 54 comments Words found: 10/10
Books finished: 5

autopilot: 11/19/18 My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella.
Page 343 "My legs are moving on autopilot."

blunt: 11/12/18 Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor.
LOC: 2997 "Great Ellen had been gentle with her, saying how they needed her here, while Minya had been more blunt."

bittersweet: 11/17/18 Roomies by Christina Lauren.
LOC: 2071 "...and my heart is pulled into a bittersweet knot."

crisp: 11/6/18 Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake.
LOC: 2433 "Katharine drops open the carriage window and takes a deep breath of the crisp northern air."

duel: 11/6/18 Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake.
LOC: 358 "When we rode to Indrid Down to save Mirabella and Katharine in the duel, we passed what was left of the wall that once enclosed the capital."

explicit: 11/19/18 My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella.
Page 279 "Because what I'm picking up from his dark gaze is pretty explicit."

magnet: 11/17/18 Roomies by Christina Lauren.
LOC: 1277 "Inside and buried beneath what has to be an entire package of tissue paper is a red magnet with a white heart."

moon: 11/3/18 The Young Queens by Kendare Blake.
LOC: 163 "On the island, fall passes in heavy bellies painted for the reaping moon."

nurse: 11/12/18 Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor.
LOC: 519 "Instead of ordering, the nurse asked."

rival: 11/3/18 The Young Queens by Kendare Blake.
LOC: 648 "...until Rolanth rivals the capital city of Indrid Down."

message 13: by Rissa (last edited Nov 22, 2018 11:19PM) (new)

Rissa | 594 comments Woohoo, November!
Welcome back, Jane!

Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 November 2018

November Finished 10/10!

autopilot - The Chimera Affair - LOC 80% - "In the bustling station, he examined people on autopilot, looking for signs of potential trouble, identifying various routes of escape." 11/17/2018

blunt - Irregulars - LOC 37% - "“You don’t have a choice. And, to be blunt, you’ve got bigger problems now.”" 11/11/2018

bittersweet - Facing West - LOC 32% - "But thinking back on all that was a strange kind of bittersweet—because had it not happened that way, we never would have met each other." 11/18/2018

crisp - Fish Out of Water - LOC 52% - "Jackson’s suit was relatively stain-free, but he was still going to have it dry-cleaned just to be courteous, and it was still hot enough to crisp a man’s eyebrows outside." 11/8/2018

duel - The Ruin of a Rake - LOC 86% - "“But now I’ve vented my spleen and I feel the score is even. After your servants come—ah, I hear pounding at the door, so you might as well open it and assure them there isn’t a corpse—I’ll go back to Lady Montbray and then to London. The duel will be quite unnecessary. Nobody will be firing any pistols anywhere near you, not while I’m still breathing.”" 11/16/2018

explicit - Yanni's Story - LOC 58% - "Mostly sexual, mostly explicit. “Uh, do you visit this site often?”" 11/14/2018

magnet - The Ruin of a Rake - LOC 2% - "The man served as a sort of magnet for other people’s attention, and Julian hated himself for being one of those people." 11/16/2018

moon - Gemini Keeps Capricorn - LOC 65% - "Romantic. A much more apt adjective than “atmospheric” to describe the soft rain and full moon." 11/4/2018

nurse - Gemini Keeps Capricorn - LOC 96% - "Wesley swallowed a burst of laughter and waggled his brows. “I’m up for it. What do you want us to be? Nurse and patient? Rizzo and Kenickie? I still have that skirt.”" 11/4/2018

rival - Irregulars - LOC 22% - "Archer relaxed. He even offered a cheeky smile. “You obviously know nothing about museums or museum curators if you think I’d voluntarily hand over a priceless artifact to a rival.”" 11/11/2018

Bonus Finished 5/5!

audacity - Facing West - LOC 83% - "“It started off with him spotting me outside a club one night with a client. The guy I was with pulled me into an alley, but before anything happened, Donny came up and told the guy to get lost. I was too overwhelmed by his audacity to react at first, and somehow he got the guy to leave. Eventually I came to my senses and barked at him about losing me money. Then I’ll never forget him reaching into his wallet and pulling out a crisp hundred-dollar bill.”" 11/18/2018

barren - The Chimera Affair - LOC 11% - "A television hung on one barren wall with a single chair placed before it." 11/17/2018

diary - Yanni's Story - LOC 35% - "I sorted out what clothes I wanted to wear, jotted down some notes in my diary for class, and marked on my daily calendar things like work, Patrice, dinner at the Landons’ on Wednesdays, and school hours." 11/14/2018

parrot - The Ruin of a Rake - LOC 5% - "Julian nearly reared back in astonishment. “Bring him about with me,” he repeated in tones of incredulity. “Like a pet monkey or a parrot?”" 11/16/2018

refugee - Irregulars - LOC 47% - "August nodded at the driver. “Refugee from starys. No vocal cords. Air too dense for sound waves or something.”" 11/11/2018

and a bonus bonus Finished 1/1!

bovine - Fish Out of Water - LOC 89% - "Like the hounds of hell are gnashing my bones and tissue and skin between dull bovine teeth." 11/8/2018

message 14: by Maritza (last edited Nov 29, 2018 12:48PM) (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 519 comments Was looking for this.

Monthly Word Hunt 
1 - 30 November 2018

Words Found - 9 of 10, 2 of 5 Bonus, 1 of 1 Bonus Bonus

autopilot, Order of Protection 11/14/18**** - "It's on AUTOPILOT," Noah replied. (loc 230)
blunt, Hang Tough 11/06/18**** - He'd forgotten about Garnet's equal-opportunity BLUNT streak. (loc 36)
bittersweet , Order of Protection - It was a BITTERSWEET thing. (loc 89)
crisp, Hang Tough - Why don't you go inside and salvage some of that cherry CRISP. (loc 143)
duel
explicit, Hillbilly Rockstar 11/25/18**** - , really sexually EXPLICIT letters. (pg 59)
magnet, Loose Ends, Volume One 11/23/18**** - He was not a MAGNET for trouble. (loc 18)
moon, Xerox] 11/04/18*** - Eyes like the MOON, (loc 86%)
nurse, Xerox - ,yelling for a NURSE before he locks eyes with me. (loc 91.5%)
rival, Protected by the Biker 11/08/18** - ,right on my shoulder during a shootout with one of our RIVAL clubs. (loc 52)
Xerox (Wicked Throttle MC #1) by Esther E. Schmidt Hang Tough (Blacktop Cowboys, #8) by Lorelei James Protected by the Biker (Grim Reapers MC) by Savannah Rylan Order of Protection (Courting Justice #1) by Lexi Blake Loose Ends, Volume One (Loose Ends #1) by Kristen Ashley Hillbilly Rockstar (Blacktop Cowboys, #6) by Lorelei James Minus (Burning Saints MC, #1) by Jack Davenport
audacity
barren Hillbilly Rockstar,- Given the fairly BARREN topography, (pg 365)
diary
parrot, Minus 11/26/18**** - His name is Loro, which means PARROT. (loc 31%)
refugee

bovine, Hang Tough - The owner had partnered up with the guy who started the BOVINE IVF company in Powell. (pg 199)

message 15: by Karen ♐ (last edited Nov 30, 2018 09:57PM) (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1156 comments Thank you so much for putting the how to "search" on Amazon. I've been getting some print books and didn't think I could use them for word searches. Love it!

November Word Hunt
READ: 12/16

autopilot - Pg 45 - I'm on autopilot - The Arrangement 22: The Ferro Family H.M. Ward - 11/4
blunt - Loc 1646 - It's beyond blunt - The Arrangement 23: The Ferro Family H.M. Ward - 11/5
bittersweet - Loc 1645 - He smiles but it's bittersweet - The Arrangement 23: The Ferro Family H.M. Ward - 11/5
crisp - Loc 1552 - Peter's wearing a crisp white button-down - The Arrangement 23: The Ferro Family H.M. Ward - 11/5
duel
explicit - Pg 206 - to do all kinds of explicit things - Beauty from Surrender Georgia Cates - 11/13
magnet - Pg 41 - It's a magnet for cougars - The Thrill of It Lauren Blakely - 11/11
moon - Pg 155 - you bark at the moon - The Thrill of It Lauren Blakely - 11/11
nurse - Pg 274 - already looking forward to playing nurse - Bound by Hatred Cora Reilly - 11/8
rival - Loc 2236 - My performance would rival a teenage boy's - The Naked Truth Vi Keeland - 11/23

Bonus
audacity - Pg 23 - Kerra Bailey's audacity was galling - Seeing Red Sandra Brown - 11/21
barren - Pg 243 - across the dark, barren landscape - Seeing Red Sandra Brown - 11/21
diary - Pg 234 - good part in Bridget Jones' Diary - The Thrill of It Lauren Blakely - 11/11
parrot
refugee

and a bonus bonus
bovine

message 16: by Robin (last edited Nov 28, 2018 06:49PM) (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 88 comments 8/10 Words
2/5 Bonus Words
0/5 Bonus Bonus Word
7/9 Leftover Words
8 Books Read

NOVEMBER:

autopilot Treasured by Thursday 11/26/18
LOC: Page 185 "On autopilot, Hunter removed his wallet, fished out a bill, and handed it over."

blunt Only The Good Die Young 11/4/18
LOC: Page 137 "The big guy was fast asleep on the couch, one hand hanging off it until his blunt fingers almost brushed the floor."

bittersweet Her Scoundrel 11/11/18
LOC: Page 36 "Watching her, his smile turned bittersweet."

crisp Her Scoundrel 11/11/18
LOC: Page 203 "....looked at the baby boy lying so still and pale against the crisp white sheets."

duel
LOC:

explicit
LOC:

magnet Treasured by Thursday 11/26/18
LOC: Page 346 "Such a chick magnet, that one."

moon A Dark Lure 1/18/18
LOC: Page 31 "...watching the heave and pull of the sea under the command of a fat yellow gibbous moon."

nurse A Dark Lure 11/18/18
LOC: Page 295. "The journalist got up and called a nurse."

rival Only The Good Die Young 11/4/18
LOC: Page 61 "I actually had been thinking about what a rival ghost might do to me..."

BONUS:

audacity Never Sleep With Strangers 11/28/18
LOC: Page 87 "It must have been a shock when she realized someone had the audacity to be murdering her."

barren Her Scoundrel 11/11/18
LOC: Page 119 "Finally, the green stem plucked barren, she tossed it on the ground..."

diary
LOC:

parrot
LOC:

refugee
LOC:

BONUS BONUS

bovine

LEFTOVERS:

halloween - (Oct) Only The Good Die Young 11/4/18
LOC: Page 145 "Horror movies always finished that way, with a shock ending that you don't expect, just like Halloween where Michael Myers isn't really dead."

pumpkin - (Oct) Dead by Midnight 11/8/18
LOC: Page 289 "He carved out little pieces the way you'd carve a pumpkin to make a Halloween jack-o-lantern."

macabre - (Oct Bonus) Never Sleep With Strangers 11/27/18
LOC: Page 221 "She been hanging around those who dealt with death and the macabre for far too long."

pharaoh - (Oct Bonus Bonus) Shadows in the Night 11/17/18
LOC: Page 5 "Ay had done so for a well-known pharaoh, Tutankhamen."

bloke - (Sep Bonus)
LOC:

degenerate - (Sep Bonus) Dead by Midnight 11/8/18
LOC: Page 150. "Derek wondered in what universe did the skinny, yellow-toothed degenerate think that a woman such as Maleah Perdue would actually give him the time of day."

pyramid - (Sep Bonus) Shadows in the Night 11/17/18
LOC: Page 1 "...my husband and I visited the Pyramid of Giza."

unsuitable - (July Bonus) Dead by Midnight 11/8/18
LOC: Page 166 "My sordid past makes me unsuitable stepmother material."

gymnast - (June Bonus)
LOC:

Only The Good Die Young (Jensen Murphy, Ghost for Hire, #1) by Chris Marie Green Her Scoundrel (Bad Luck Brides Trilogy, #2) by Geralyn Dawson Dead by Midnight (Dead by Trilogy, #1; Griffin Powell #11) by Beverly Barton A Dark Lure (A Dark Lure #1) by Loreth Anne White Shadows in the Night (The Finnegan Connection #2) by Heather Graham Murder on Waverly Place (Gaslight Mystery, #11) by Victoria Thompson Never Sleep With Strangers by Heather Graham Pozzessere Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7) by Catherine Bybee

message 17: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19170 comments Thanks Rissa 😍

message 18: by Cyndee (last edited Nov 29, 2018 05:35AM) (new)

Cyndee (cyndeew) | 1699 comments November
10/10

autopilot - Speed by BB Easton ~ 86% / loc 4095 ~ "Knight took another drag, smoking on autopilot, as he stared out into the abyss." ~ 11/5
blunt - Fight or Flight by Samantha Young ~ p. 109 / 30% ~ "Her dark brown hair was cut short and blunt so that the shiny ends touched her chin." ~ 11/2
bittersweet - Gemini by Penelope Ward ~ p. 59 / 18% ~ "The sight of the sun rising through my bedroom window was bittersweet ~ 11/23
crisp - Co-Wrecker by Meghan Quinn ~ p. 337 / 92% ~ "Fall in New York can either go two ways: it can be crisp, sunny, and refreshing, or it can be a haze of cold, casting a gray darkness over your day." ~ 11/20
duel Someone Else's Ocean by Kate Stewart ~ p. 159 / 47% ~ "Our tongues dueled, ravenous and coaxing until he let my legs down and pinned me to the wall by my wrists, his breaths coming out heavy as he pressed his forehead to mine in an attempt at restraint." ~ 11/28
explicit - The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid ~ p. 265 ~ "So we are going to shoot an explicit scene between Don and me." ~ 11/16
magnet - Skin ~ p. 356 / 90% ~ "I felt my body begin moving toward him as if pulled by a magnet." ~ 11/4
moon - Fisher's Light by Tara Sivec ~ p. 138 ~ "The moon is shining and she's backdropped by the ocean behind her." ~ 11/2
nurse - The Good Luck Charm by Helena Hunting ~ 2% / loc 70 ~ "I'd been working as a nurse full-time for four years, and now, at twenty-six, I was ready to go back to school and further my education." ~ 11/12
rival - Consumed by J.R. Ward ~ 5% / loc 235 ~ "Then, with an arch to rival a bridge span, he grabbed ahold of her jammed forearm." ~ 11/24

Bonus
5/5
audacity - Relatively Famous by Jessica Park ~ p. 270 / 98% ~ "Someone finally had the audacity to give me advice, and I finally listened." ~ 11/1
barren - Burying Water by K.A. Tucker ~ p. 2 ~ "Ice-cold snow packs into the sides of my sneakers as I chase the trail past the line of trees and into the barren field ahead, my blood rushing through my ears the only sound I process." ~ 11/29
diary - If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say by Leila Sales ~ 16% / loc 738 ~ "Where I make, like, a video diary of my freshman year of high school?" ~ 11/6
parrot - Blind Kiss by Renee Carlino ~ p. 49 / 16% ~ "A month before, it was Chelsea, who had a pet rat named Amadeus that sat on her shoulder like a parrot." ~ 11/8
refugee - Someone Else's Ocean by Kate Stewart ~ p. 3 / 4% ~ "Mrs. Osborne - a seven-day refugee from Long Island - sat with a magazine on her lap, mouth open, her eyes on the surf while she pressed her brows together to try to make sense of it." ~ 11/28

Bonus Bonus
0/1
bovine

Orphans from Oct
macabre (exact) - Skin by BB Easton ~ p. 338 / 86% ~ "My mind conjured image after image from that night like some kind of macabre slide show." ~ 11/4
pharaoh (exact) - Suit by BB Easton ~ p. 258 / 88% ~ "You probably should have dressed like a pharaoh instead of a princess." ~ 11/21

Orphans from Sept
degenerate (exact)
ladybug (exact) - November 9 by Colleen Hoover ~ p. 17 ~ "I don't want my ladybug running off to another city, but if it means she's following her dream, I'll be the first to make sure she's on her flight." ~ 11/9

Orphan from August
unequal (exact)

message 19: by Andrea (last edited Nov 26, 2018 11:07AM) (new)

Andrea | 101 comments I'm in.

10/10

autopilot - Colorado Wild - Nov2 - 3*
LOC 1124 - "At some point they'd shot down and switch to autopilot, feeling the mission, letting the plan become instinct instead of follwing the steps like a recipe."
blunt - A Fool and His Manny - Nov6 - 5*
LOC 2548 - "Suddenly Taylor's blunt voice penetrated the expactation in the room."
bittersweet - Any Given Lifetime - Nov21 - 3*
LOC 1498 - "Life was bittersweet now."
crisp - Coffee-to-Go - Nov8 - 3*
LOC 2486 - "He had on a crisp white shirt, black trousers and his new apron"
duel - Peter Darling - Nov11 - 4*
LOC 356 - ""Duel me," he said."
explicit - Suddenly Yours - Nov10 - 5*
LOC 2290 - "He'd never been a fan of lovers taking explicit videos of themselves, but that had been before he married Cody."
magnet - Love Wanted - Nov17 - 5*
LOC 4282 - "Like a magnet pulls metal."
moon - Stand by Your Manny - Nov4 - 4*
LOC 1693 - "The full moon against those quick-scudding rainclouds promised to be beautiful, and he could stare up at the play of light and shadow, the playful peep of the brightest stars, for hours."
nurse - Rated Arr - Nov14 - 2*
LOC 1948 - "At least, that's wha tthe nurse had said."
rival - Feral Dust Bunnies - Nov19 - 5*
LOC 715 - "Lieutenant Dunfee gave a snort that rivaled one of Krisk's"

Bonus:
2/5

audacity
barren
diary - Needing - Nov24 - 4*
LOC 1775 - "I'll have to consult my diary"
parrot - The Blinding Light - Nov26 - 5*
LOC 2395 - "I was beginning to sound like a bloody parrot."
refugee

Bonus/Bonus
bovine

message 20: by Jujubee (last edited Nov 30, 2018 08:57PM) (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 216 comments My spot!
Stats: 10/10 COMPLETED
Bonus 05/05 COMPLETED
Bonus-bonus 01/00 Orphans 01/03

Picture Perfect Cowboy (The Original Sinners) by Tiffany Reisz More or Less a Temptress (The Somerset Sisters, #3) by Anna Bradley Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5) by Ilona Andrews A Holiday by Gaslight by Mimi Matthews Do You Feel It Too? by Nicola Rendell Ice Storm (Ice, #4) by Anne Stuart Blood Lines (Detective Kim Stone Crime Thriller Series #5) by Angela Marsons
Autopilot: "He did this without looking down, as if his hands were on autopilot." LOC 772 Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy 03.5) Ilona Andrews • Read 11/08/18 5*
Blunt: "He turned over his hand and studied his own fingers, but they were the same blunt, rough, coarse things they’d always been." LOC 1402 More or Less a Temptress (The Somerset Sisters 03) Anna Bradley • Read 11/13/18 4*
Bittersweet: “I find love bittersweet, don’t you?” Pg 22 Ice Storm (Ice 04) Anne Stuart • Read 11/26/18 4.5*
Crisp: "He wore a black suit, crisp white shirt, and black tie." LOC 2386 Picture Perfect Cowboy Tiffany Reisz • Read 11/04/18 4*
Duel: "At this rate, he’d end up in a duel before the end of the season." LOC 3739 More or Less a Temptress (The Somerset Sisters 03) Anna Bradley • Read 11/13/18 4*
Explicit: "He’d never explicitly stated that there were rivals for Miss Appersett’s hand." LOC 485 A Holiday by Gaslight Mimi Matthews • Read 11/14/18 5*
Magnet: "Alessandro Sagredo, being young, unmarried, and devastatingly handsome, was Prime groupie magnet, and Catalina hated attention of any sort." LOC 86 Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy 03.5) Ilona Andrews • Read 11/08/18 5*
Moon: "Lachlan forced his face into an expressionless mask, even as he dug new half-moon scars into his palms." LOC 2912 More or Less a Temptress (The Somerset Sisters 03) Anna Bradley • Read 11/13/18 4*
Nurse: "I’m about to get a sponge bath from a sexy nurse." LOC 2413 Picture Perfect Cowboy Tiffany Reisz • Read 11/04/18 4*
Rival: "Jason knew he’d never seen anything in the world to rival the sight of a girl wearing his flannel shirt and pink thong panties bent over his kitchen table." LOC 643 Picture Perfect Cowboy Tiffany Reisz • Read 11/04/18 4*

Bonus05/05
Audacity: "You got quite hostile and even had the audacity to lie to us." Pg 178 Blood Lines (D.I. Kim Stone 05) Angela Marsons • Read 11/30/18 3*
Barren: "Her mother led her down a barren path at the edge of the garden." LOC 222 A Holiday by Gaslight Mimi Matthews • Read 11/14/18 5*
Diary: "Parrots weren’t like docile diary cows." LOC 4542 Do You Feel It Too? Nicola Rendell • Read 11/19/18 5*
Parrot: "He lived a jet-set life; I lived with a parrot." LOC 1487 Do You Feel It Too? Nicola Rendell • Read 11/19/18 5*
Refugee: "Personally, I didn’t see the problem—thelocal governments wanted these people gone, and they were, having slipped over the border into refugee camps. " Pg 178 Ice Storm (Ice 04) Anne Stuart • Read 11/26/18 4.5*

Bonus Bonus 00/01
~~~bovine: "" LOC

ORPHANS 01/03
~~~July: (Exact-Bonus bonus) Gamy: "" LOC
September: (Exact-Bonus bonus) Ladybug "I focused on the ground, where a ladybug was fluttering her wings in the grass." LOC 1864 Do You Feel It Too? Nicola Rendell • Read 11/19/18 5*
October: (Exact-Bonus bonus) Pharaoh: "All the while, Jesus was devouring a donkey, Saint Francis a wolf, Abel a lamb, Eve a moray, the Baptist a locust, Pharaoh an octopus (naturally, I said to myself, but why?), and David was eating Spanish fly, flinging himself on the maiden nigra sed formosa while Sampson bit into a lion’s behind and Thecla fled screaming, pursued by a hairy black spider." Pg 368 The Name of the Rose Umberto Eco • Read xxxx

message 21: by Chris (last edited Nov 13, 2018 07:36PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 133 comments I'm in:

8/10 - Regular
5/5 - Bonus
0/1 - Bonus|Bonus

November

autopilot - Deadline 11/13 p. 157
"…mind in turmoil, Amelia switched onto autopilot."

blunt - The Day of the Duchess 11/4 - Loc. 3979 -
"…no matter how much blunt Sesily's won"

bittersweet

crisp - The Wife Between Us 11/1 - p. 242
"The crisp winter air pinched the tip…"

duel - The Orchid Affair 11/8 p.301
"…play was complete without a duel and insisted on inserting them…"

explicit

magnet - Deadline 11/13 p. 212
"…refrigerator door with Disney-character magnets."

moon - Blood Sacrifice 11/5 loc. 747
"…the full moon lit up the night,"

nurse - The Wife Between Us 11/1 p. 19
"That was the school nurse."

rival The Day of the Duchess 11/4 - Loc 3975
"Our betting book rivals White's"

Bonus

audacity - Blood Sacrifice 11/5 loc 2878
"And you had the audacity to say something about ransacked?"

barren - The Day of the Duchess 11/4 Loc 224
"…she will be barren…"

diary - Blood Sacrifice 11/5 loc "…so freaked out by Tammy's diary…"

parrot - The Orchid Affair 11/8 - p 361
"…complete with a stuffed parrot on one shoulder."

refugee- The Orchid Affair 11/8 p 254
"would arrive in England as refugees."

Bonus|bonus

bovine

message 22: by Chris (last edited Nov 26, 2018 05:20PM) (new)

Chris Labib | 485 comments November 2018
Words Read: 6/10
Bonus Words: 3/5
Bonus Bonus Word: 0/1
Orphans: 1/9

autopilot – Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (Nov 1)
"Even while she was on conversational autopilot with her family" (pg )

blunt – The Stand by Stephen King (Nov)
"I'm sorry to speak so blunt" (pg)

bittersweet –

crisp – Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (Nov 1)
"...Malay servants flanking the entrance hall in crisp white blazers" (pg)

duel –

explicit – Crazy Rich Asians byKevin Kwan (Nov. 1)
"...stay at his grandmother's house without her explicit invitation" (pg)

magnet – The Stand by Stephen King (Nov)
"If you put a magnet on one end of a table and a steel slug on the other" (pg)

moon – Melmoth by Sarah Perry (Nov 5)
"...and the upturned bowl of a silver moon pours milk out" (pg 5)

nurse – Melmoth by Sarah Perry (Nov 9)
"Certainly a nurse, then!" (pg 104)

rival – Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren (Nov 17)
"I sense a hint of sibling rivalry as his brows come together" (pg 86)

Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1) by Kevin Kwan Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Stand by Stephen King

Bonus

audacity – The Hating Game by Sally Thorne (Nov 20)
"My audacity is breathtaking" (pg 340)

barren –
diary –

parrot – Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren (Nov 17)
"'...dog'--I gesture to the leashed Winnie at my side--'and a rabbit, and a parrot" (pg 32)

refugee – Warlight byMichael Ondaatje (Nov 26)
"...someone at the Polish refugee camp in Doddington Park" (pg 89)

Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren The Hating Game by Sally Thorne Warlight by Michael Ondaatje

Bonus Bonus Word

bovine –

Orphans

degenerate –
bloke –
pharaoh –

demonic – Wicked and the Wallflower by Sarah MacLean

gurgling –
macabre –
pimp –

pumpkin – Ghosted by Rosie Walsh (Nov 19)
"...father, whose face is like a ridiculous, beaming pumpkin looming into view" (pg 333)

gruesome – The Stand by Stephen King (Nov)

Ghosted by Rosie Walsh Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1) by Sarah MacLean The Stand by Stephen King

message 23: by Samantha (last edited May 16, 2019 09:31PM) (new)

Samantha Clysdale | 112 comments November

Autopilot: John Dies at the End-November 7/2018, P.139- I was operating on autopilot,

Blunt: Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow-November 19/2018-P.13- Morrigan exhaled in a short, blunt oof,

Bittersweet: Beastly Bones-February.3/2019-p.44- "Asphodels and bittersweets."

Crisp: The Black Witch-February.9/2019- P. 57- These upper-class women linen uniforms are crisply starched,

Duel: Gallows Thief- Feb.22/2019-P.151- To a duel Sandman was amused.

Explicit: The Palace Job- April.30/2019-P.287- " and skulls under your undead feet because we didn't explicitly tell you not to do that."

Magnet: The Prophecy Con- May.5/2019-p.77 - In the dwarven chamber, Loch saw axes whose heads were carved from magnetic ore.

Moon: The Prophecy Con- May.9/2019- P.124- The moon shone through the window.

Nurse-The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great-May.9/2019-p.374-Paul hide his face in the folds of his nurse's apron

Rival: The Prophecy Con- May.16/2019- p.445- As the hunting cat flares her fur to make herself large to her rivals,

Leftovers:

Scarecrow:

Scream:

message 24: by ~Teresa (last edited Dec 05, 2018 07:26PM) (new)

~Teresa | 321 comments I'm in!

Regular Words ~ 8/10
Bonus Words ~ 4/5
Bonus/Bonus Word ~ 0/1

November ~

autopilot

blunt ~ Unleashed ~ 11/5/18 ~ Loc. 181 ~ He didn’t mind the bluntness.

bittersweet ~ A Christmas by the Sea ~ 11/22/18 ~ Loc. 312 ~ ... prevent it. But it was bittersweet.

crisp ~ The Thanksgiving Trip ~ 11/11/18 ~ Loc. 1659 ~ ... day than Mom’s sticky buns, crisp bacon, scrambled eggs and ...

duel

explicit ~ Silver Linings ~ 11/13/18 ~ Page 53 ~ Then with a short , explicit oath ...

magnet ~ Snow in Summer ~ 11/8/18 ~ Loc. 763 ~ ... if I’d been pulled toward it with a magnet.

moon ~ Haunted Be the Holidays ~ 11/7/18 ~ Loc. 507 ~ ... like a full moon brought out the crazies.

nurse ~ Windwood Farm ~ 11/2/18 ~ Page 161 ~ The nurse was busy changing her saline bag.

rival ~ Windwood Farm ~ 11/2/18 ~ Page 154 ~ ... of black wavy hair and jowls that would rival Elvis’ ...

Bonus ~

audacity

barren ~ The Thanksgiving Trip ~ 11/11/18 ~ Loc. 1077 ~ ... than that, the room was barren.

diary ~ Windwood Farm ~ 11/2/18 ~ Page 186 ~ “I know a diary when I see one.”

parrot ~ Unleashed ~ 11/5/18 ~ Loc. 445 ~ ... with a couple of dogs and an unruly parrot.

refugee ~ Nine Perfect Strangers ~ 11/26/18 ~ Loc. 6135 ~ ... and she explained that her dad was a refugee from ...

Bonus/Bonus ~

bovine

Windwood Farm (Taryn's Camera #1) by Rebecca Patrick-Howard Haunted Be the Holidays (1001 Dark Nights #91; Krewe of Hunters) by Heather Graham Unleashed (A Hamilton Christmas Novella Book 1) by Donna Kauffman Snow in Summer by Jane Yolen The Thanksgiving Trip (A Tess and Tilly Cozy Mystery, #5) by Kathi Daley Silver Linings by Jayne Ann Krentz Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty A Christmas by the Sea by Melody Carlson

message 25: by Claire (last edited Nov 01, 2018 01:16PM) (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 84 comments 2018 November Word Hunt

Regular Words: 0/10 found

1. Autopilot
2. Blunt
3. Bittersweet
4. Crisp
5. Duel
6. Explicit
7. Magnet
8. Moon
9. Nurse
10. Rival

Bonus

1. Audacity
2. Barren
3. Diary
4. Parrot
5. Refugee

Bonus Bonus

1. Bovine

Orphan Words (August)

1. Ambient
2. Hoof I Invited Her In by Adele Parks ...a bit of organisation to hoof down there on my own... LOC: 300 READ: 11/01/18
3. Imposter
4. Unequal

Orphan Words (September)

1. Armchair I Invited Her In by Adele Parks ...lounging in the saggy leather armchair that I think of as the cat's chair. LOC: 1742 READ: 11/01/18
2. Crust I Invited Her In by Adele Parks The earth's crust is cleaving apart, a volcano spluttering, and then there will be a deluge. LOC: 2603 READ: 11/01/18
3. Compelling
4. Lemon
5. Folk
6. Shine
7. Silver
8. Toy

Bonus Words: 0/5 found

1. Bloke
2. Burial
3. Degenerate
4. Paparazzi
5. Pyramid

Bonus Bonus Word

1. Ladybug

Orphan Words (October)

Regular Words: 0/10 found

1. Carrot
2. Corpse
3. Ditch
4. Gruesome
5. Halloween
6. Hound
7. Hunt
8. Pumpkin
9. Scarecrow
10. Scream

Bonus

1. Butcher
2. Demonic
3. Gurgling
4. Macabre
5. Pimp

Bonus Bonus

1. Pharaoh

message 26: by Carly (last edited Nov 30, 2018 02:07PM) (new)

Carly (car88) | 65 comments NOVEMBER 2018 - WORD HUNT
·Post 26

9/10
AUTOPILOT - Sharing Samantha location 217, 21% (11/27/18)
"You my knight in shining armor?" I laugh darkly. "Not so shining or white armor, but yeah." "Well, I've never had a knight before." "That's a damn shame," I murmur. My hands slide to her on autopilot, before I can even stop myself.
BLUNT - Pack Challenge location 667, 23% (11/1/18)
Zach shook his head. His friend sure did have it bad for a woman who went screaming beyond the realm of blunt. Well, whatever floats your boat.
BITTERSWEET
CRISP - Fashionably Dead in Diapers location 2248, 71% (11/21/18)
My gut clenched and my fury grew. I backed up, gritted my teeth and tried again. Sparks and bursts of purple fire bounced off the walls as we all ducked to avoid frying to a crisp. Nothing.
DUEL - Wild Hunger location 439, 9% (11/4/18)
Allegedly the original Alpha, Rick Coleman, lost a duel to his teenage son, Trey. Instead of stepping aside to allow the teen to rule, Rick banished him.
EXPLICIT - Here Kitty, Kitty! location 133, 3% (11/11/18)
His brothers were around here somewhere. Why? He'd left them in Texas with explicit instructions not to come back until they had a signed property deal from that old wolf Marrec so they could build some stupid amusement park his father had his heart set on.
MAGNET - When He Was Bad location 1997, 51% (11/16/18)
"My fault?" Van began pulling off her clothes. "I'm Alpha Male of the Van Holtz Pack. That's a female magnet, doc. I should be knee-deep in pussy. Instead I'm madly in love with you. Can't imagine my life without you."
MOON - Go Fetch location 21, 1% (11/10/18)
He silently moved toward her. She sat on a rock, reading an oversized paperback book. Squinting, forced to use the moonlight and the light from the rave to illuminate whatever she read.
NURSE - Bound location 1279, 59% (11/5/18)
Once inside, Xander heads to the kitchen where he reaches into an overhead cupboard and pulls out an impressive-sized box, containing enough supplies to run a small hospital ward. "Nurse in a former life?" I joke. "If I was, I'd have better equipment."
RIVAL - Hell on Heels location 2144, 40% (11/8/18)
"Go to community college, make friends, visit your cousin Astrid, practice Black Magic, have fun. The usual." "Wait. Did you say community college? I've already graduated from a college that rivals most Ivy League institutions."

Bonus
4/5
AUDACITY - Fashionably Dead in Diapers location 2964, 93% (11/21/18)
He had betrayed The Kev's trust and he thought he was gray? I laughed at his audacity. He was delusional and he was going to die.
BARREN - Witches Don't Back Down location 3498, 88% (11/18/18)
I didn't see death lurking there. I saw nothing. A total absence of emotion or feeling. To have death, first you have to have life. I couldn't find anything in her eyes but a barren, brown color. Morgause didn't live. She existed.
DIARY - Allison and the Torrid Tea Party location 3020, 60% (11/26/18)
If I do get back home, I should grab my diary while I'm there. I'd even start a new one tonight if I felt I had the energy. But after the sex, the shooting, the dancing, and the poison…I have nothing left.
PARROT - Wild Hunger location 4638, 99% (11/4/18)
Frankie narrowed her eyes at him. "How do you know that?" "A little bird told me." "Well, since I don't have a parrot that could sell me out, I'm guessing that you're lying." "Oh my God. It's just a turn of phrase."
REFUGEE

Bonus-Bonus
(view spoiler) (view spoiler)
1/1
BOVINE - Hybrid Misfit location 1161, 61% (11/29/18)
Even I couldn't resist the mouthwatering aroma of the prime rib placed in front of me, and even if the meat wasn't like any bovine stuff I'd eaten before, I ignored it because it was ambrosia in my mouth.

Carryovers
2/4
September
BURIAL - Embers location 4186, 73% (11/14/18)
Glaring at Thatcher, Harper said, "There's no such custom about burials in my lair. Even if there were, that bitch would get no courtesies from me."
PAPARAZZI - Embers location 2112, 37% (11/14/18)
It wasn't the first time they'd been followed. Sometimes it was paparazzi, sometimes it was someone hoping to pitch a business idea to him, sometimes it was a PI hired by business rival or even a nosy Prime.
August
UNEQUAL
February
SIDESHOW

READ
Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7) by Suzanne Wright Bound (The Four Horsemen, #2) by L.J. Swallow Hell on Heels (Hot Damned #3) by Robyn Peterman Go Fetch (Magnus Pack, #2) by Shelly Laurenston Here Kitty, Kitty! (Magnus Pack, #3) by Shelly Laurenston Embers (Dark in You, #4) by Suzanne Wright When He Was Bad (includes Magnus Pack #3.5) by Shelly Laurenston Witches Don't Back Down (Kate Storm #4) by Meredith Allen Conner Fashionably Dead in Diapers (Hot Damned #4) by Robyn Peterman Allison and the Torrid Tea Party (Harem Of Hearts, #2) by C.M. Stunich Sharing Samantha by Madison Faye Hybrid Misfit (The Misfits #1) by Eve Langlais

message 27: by Becky (last edited Nov 26, 2018 07:52PM) (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1390 comments 16/16

autopilot The Surfer Solution- loc 1044- "I've been doing a lot of thinking about it, and the problem is, Oz has just been cruising on autopilot for years." 11/6-11/7
blunt The Mermaid Murders- loc 2088- "Blunt force trauma to the head." 11/5-11/6
bittersweet Mating the Huntress- loc 667- "I'm worried about a friend," she admitted, the words bittersweet. 11/3-11/4
crisp The Librarian's Ghost- loc 1254- "You want the Coffee Crisp or the Aero bar?" 11/1-11/2
duel Hold Fast- loc 1058- "I have a duel boot Linux/Windows laptop around here somewhere, too." 11/12-11/13
explicit The Surfer Solution- loc 699- She hadn't been explicit, but he got the feeling that his performance was going to determine whether or not he got the place. 11/6-11/7
magnet Mating the Huntress- loc 413- She felt as if he were magnetic and she were just a helpless pin. 11/3-11/4
moon A Good Debutante's Guide to Ruin- loc 119- He was a duke now and as far removed from her as the moon. 11/4-11/5
nurse A Good Debutante's Guide to Ruin- loc 985- "I suppose that tirade nursed his wounded ego." 11/4-11/5
rival The Surfer Solution- loc 1690- When she sang the last note, the crowd burst into a roar that rivaled a stadium concert. 11/6-11/7

Bonus

audacity Mating the Huntress- loc 1209- She'd come, she'd changed him, and she'd had the fucking audacity to brush it off and walk away. 11/3-11/4
barren The Viking Queen's Men- page 115- It was quiet- barren except for a few scrubby bushes and cacti, and should have been altogether inhospitable. 11/17-11/19
diary Hold Fast- loc 1352- In his study of the particular letters, Isaiah hadn't noticed that he was basically staring at a diary. 11/12-11/13
parrot The Queer and the Restless- loc 1245- I was a parrot, only able to imitate her words, even though they accurately reflected how I felt. 11/24-11/25
refugee The E.T. Guy- loc 1217- "A little boy has gone missing, a Volin refugee, from the group this afternoon." 11/20-11/21

Bonus bonus

bovine Tender Mercies- loc 1799- Ginger looked over her shoulder at him with a bovine what's gotten into you today? look. 11/26

message 28: by LaurLa (last edited Nov 30, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

LaurLa | 3193 comments November Word Hunt
November 2018

MY Word Hunt (msg 28)

10 of 10 Words Found
6 of 6 Bonus Words
7 of 8 Books Read

November Words

Polar Bared (Kodiak Point, #3) by Eve Langlais Million Dollar Cowboy (Cupid, Texas #5) by Lori Wilde Full Package (Big Rock #4) by Lauren Blakely Hillbilly Rockstar (Blacktop Cowboys, #6) by Lorelei James Saturday Night Cleaver (A Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #4) by Karen Cantwell
✔🌸autopilot
Polar Bared - Eve Langlais - 11.02 ★★★★
Ever since she’d woken, Vicky had moved on autopilot, (loc: 133.0)

✔🌸blunt
...glasses firmly in place, some kind of blunt object in hand. (loc: 258.0)

✔🌸bittersweet
Million Dollar Cowboy - Lori Wilde - 11.01 ★★★
Her bittersweet gaze came back to Kaia. (loc: 305.9)

✔🌸crisp
Full Package - Lauren Blakely - 11.29 ★★★★
...this thirtysomething guy in tailored slacks and a crisp white button-down. (loc: 348.1)

✔🌸duel
...preferring to engage in a blood-thirsty, savage duel to the death. (loc: 253.9)

✔🌸explicit
Hillbilly Rockstar - Lorelei James - 11.04 ★★★★
...wrote me really long, really sexually explicit letters. (loc: 91.8)

✔🌸magnet
Is Tay an asshole magnet? (loc: 69.0)

✔🌸moon
...with just a sliver of moon showing in the inky sky, (loc: 186.0)

✔🌸nurse
Levi nursed him back to health. (loc: 36.3)

✔🌸rival
Saturday Night Cleaver - Karen Cantwell - 11.22 ★★★
Despite the fact that they now worked for rival television stations, (loc: 87.3)

Bonus/Bonus Bonus Words

Full Package (Big Rock #4) by Lauren Blakely Million Dollar Cowboy (Cupid, Texas #5) by Lori Wilde Saturday Night Cleaver (A Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #4) by Karen Cantwell Shallow Grave (PI Julie Collins #3) by Lori G. Armstrong Marked (Servants of Fate, #1) by Sarah Fine Snow Blind (PI Julie Collins #4) by Lori G. Armstrong
✔🌸audacity
Full Package - Lauren Blakely - 11.29 ★★★★
...the thumping in my chest has the audacity to reappear. (loc: 242.1)

✔🌸barren
...pressing heat into the barren earth until the ground burned, (loc: 33.0)

✔🌸diary
Saturday Night Cleaver - Karen Cantwell - 11.22 ★★★
I did a verbal run-through of Colt’s photo diary. (loc: 134.7)

✔🌸parrot
Shallow Grave - Lori R. Armstrong - 11.17 ★★★★
Squawk squawk; she sounded like a parrot. (loc: 399.2)

✔🌸refugee
Marked - Sarah Fine - 11.28 ★★★★
...he and Galena had an apartment waiting for them instead of a refugee shelter. (loc: 19.8)

🌸🌸bovine
Snow Blind - Lori R. Armstrong
...being serenaded by a phantom bovine choir. (pg: 124.7)

message 29: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3193 comments Oh! Those bonus/bonus bonus words look especially hard this month!!

message 30: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1390 comments I think they all are going to be hard this month! Usually I get at least 4 or 5 words in my first book of the month. I only found one this time!

message 31: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19170 comments I checked my kindle for how often they occur and they seemed like the usual occurence ~ perhaps this is a sad reflection on what I read!!! LOL.

message 32: by Kesha (last edited Nov 25, 2018 01:06PM) (new)

Kesha | 705 comments 2018 November Word Hunt

Read: 8/10
Bonus Read: 2/5
Bonus Bonus Read: /1

autopilot: She had taken a shower on AUTOPILOT, barely registering whether the water was hot or cold. Brazilian's Nine Months' Notice (p. 82) - Susan Stephens 11-21-18
blunt: At least she would only appear foolish for trying to capture a man who BLUNTLY told her he only sought her passion, and not become the object of pity because she was seduced by flattery and false promises. My Lady Captor (p. 102) -Hannah Howell 11-16-18
bittersweet: He didn't have time for reminiscing, especially when some thoughts were so BITTERSWEET they could make a grown man actually choke up like a little boy. The Boss, the Bride & the Baby (p. 9) - Judy Duarte 11-17-18
crisp: The word came out CRISP, cool. The Boss, the Bride & the Baby (p. 41) - Judy Duarte 11-17-18
duel:
explicit:
magnet: I became aware of his power, his MAGNETISM, his scent of earth and rain. Her Savior: Ellison Brothers (LOC 502) - Vera Roberts 11-16-18
moon: She couldn't quite make herself believe her MOON theory, and she was no longer sure of the yin and yang theory either. It Must Be Love (p. 44) - Rachel Gibson 11-11-18
nurse: She NURSED her tea for the next half hour, then watched out the window again. Consequence of His Revenge (p. 182) - Dani Collins 11-6-18
rival: "Damon Barrington has been my RIVAL for a couple years now." Carrying the Lost Heir's Child (p. 148) - Jules Bennett 11-18-18

BONUS
audacity:
barren:
diary: She keeps my DIARY. Brazilian's Nine Months' Notice (p. 111) - Susan Stephens 11-21-18
parrot: She took one look at the twelve-inch gray African PARROT perched on Joe's shoulder and stopped in her tracks. It Must Be Love (p. 267) - Rachel Gibson 11-11-18
refugee:

BONUS BONUS
bovine:

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1390 comments OK, my second book of the month had 5 words in it, including a bonus word. Maybe that first book was just a fluke. ;)

message 34: by Deanna (last edited Nov 28, 2018 03:01PM) (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 86 comments Still not fully out of my reading slump. Attempting NaNoWriMo. But still determined to see if I can do this.

Words: 9/10
Bonus: 2/5
Bonus bonus: 1/1
October regular carryover: 1/1
October bonus carryover: 0/3

autopilot: Captive Beauty by Natasha Knight - p. 198 - "I'm on autopilot, I can't think." - 11/3/18

blunt: Captive Beauty by Natasha Knight - p. 56 - "His reminder is blunt, cutting." - 11/3/18

bittersweet: Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero - p. 322 - "Tim shrugged, a bittersweet smile in his mouth." - 11/15/18

crisp: Grey by E.L. James - p. 274 - "But the scent is still there, sweet and crisp." - 11/10/18

duel:

explicit: Becoming His Slave by Talon P.S. - loc. 2603 - "Just because she wrote books with steamy explicit sex scenes, didn't mean she wanted to go to a club where people could go act out their fantasies openly." - 11/28/18

magnet: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - p. 38 - "The hazel wand was whipping around now like a magnet being pushed at a repelling pole." - 11/16/18

moon: Captive Beauty by Natasha Knight - p. 182 - "It's a clear night and the moon shines its silvery light through the large bay window." - 11/3/18

nurse: Criminal by Jane Henry and Loki Renard - loc. 818 - "I have a word with the nurse, and were taken to a private room." - 11/4/18

rival: Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero - p. 158 - "...and now lives underground, cast away by rival spirits..." - 11/15/18

Bonus:

audacity:

barren: Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero - p. 248 - "Her eyes were barren." - 11/15/18

diary: ENIGMA by Taylor Brent - loc. 338 - "Has Jill showed you Kate's diary yet?" - 11/22/18

parrot:

refugee:

Bonus bonus:

bovine: Grey by E.L. James - p. 330 - "We all look at Elliot, who stopped eating, mid-chew, mouth stuffed full, bovine." - 11/10/18

October regular carryover:

gruesome: Becoming His Slave by Talon P.S. - loc. 2412 - "The evidence Harper brought back told gruesome tales that the girls had fallen victim to a sadist." - 11/28/18

October bonus carryover:

butcher:

pimp:

pharaoh:

Captive Beauty by Natasha Knight Criminal by Jane Henry Grey (Fifty Shades of Grey as Told by Christian, #1) by E.L. James Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman ENIGMA by Taylor Brent Becoming His Slave (Dominion of Brothers, #1) by Talon P.S.

message 35: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19170 comments Deanna wrote: "Still not fully out of my reading slump. Attempting NaNoWriMo. ..."

Good luck with NaNoWriMo Deanna!!

message 36: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 86 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Still not fully out of my reading slump. Attempting NaNoWriMo. ..."

Good luck with NaNoWriMo Deanna!!"

Thanks, Jane! At the rate I'm going, I'm going to need it, lol!

message 37: by Suzanne (last edited Nov 20, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments Romance Readers Reading Challenges
2018 November Word Hunt
Duration:
1 - 30 November 2018

Progress: 9 out 10

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE. There is no page limit.

November

autopilot

Blunt: "The effect was absolutely electrifying; Robin drew a breath and held it as he very carefully turned her hand over, so that her palm was facing up, and with one blunt finger, wordlessly traced the path of her life line to her wrist, scoring her with his touch, sparking a river of fire that ran down her arm and straight into her heart." Page 182
Material Girl by Julia London - ***** - 11/6/2018 - 482 Pages

bittersweet

Crisp: "The pages were made of paper of the finest quality, thin and crisp and edged in gold foil." Page 17
Cold Days by Jim Butcher - ***** - 11/1/2018 - 515 Pages
Duel: "I couldn’t have won a magical duel with Mab or Titania—probably not even against Maeve or Lily." Page 316
Explicit: "And some other part of me abruptly filled my mind with a violent and explicit image—my fist tangled in Lily’s hair, that soft gentle mouth under mine, her body writhing beneath my weight as I took her to the ground." Page 239
Magnet: "His hand closed tightly around her fingers, and Robin took a step forward, drawn like a magnet to the circle of his arms, attached by a powerful, physical current running between them." Page 182
Moon: "She just flipped her long blond ponytail over her shoulder and smiled all moon-eyed at Michael." Page 114
Nurse: "A nurse walked up just then, thirtyish and sandy-haired."
Against the Fire by Kat Martin - ** - 11/19/2018 - 408 Pages

rival

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

audacity
barren

Diary: “She had notes, like a computer diary or something.”
Parrot: "The walls were painted with brightly colored parrots and huge banana plants."

refugee

and a bonus bonus
bovine

Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14) by Jim Butcher Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1) by Julia London Against the Fire (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #2) by Kat Martin

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

Examples for 'Reversal'
Reverse - Laser Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

message 38: by Chan (last edited Nov 30, 2018 07:26PM) (new)

Chan | 3201 comments Hoping for a better month :o)

November
1. autopilot - Fighting for Flight | Nov 20
Page 16: I went through the rest of my day on autopilot

2. blunt - Disorderly Conduct | Nov 19
Page 26: Charlie's blunt fingertips

3. bittersweet - Blind Faith | Nov 17
Page 15: the bittersweet moment her body met his stole her breath away

4. crisp - Rock Chick Reawakening | Nov 13
Page 99: a crisp light-blue shirt

5. duel - Beneath These Scars | Nov 16
Page 4: This ain't an fuckin' duel

6. explicit

7. magnet - Fighting for Flight | Nov 20
Page 331: My eyes slid back to Raven like they're magnetized

8. moon - Rock Chick Reawakening | Nov 13
Page 96: Your penthouse on the moon?

9. nurse - Fighting for Flight | Nov 20
Page 380: the good doctor and his unsuspecting nurses

10. Rival - A Husband's Regret | Nov 18
Page 298: seemed to consider both rival and friend

Bonus
1. audacity

2. barren - Cold As Ice | Nov 21
Page 301: Was she ready to die on this strange, barren hillside?

3. diary - Blind Faith | Nov 17
Page 19: his brothers had found Audrey's mother's diary

4. parrot - Beneath These Scars | Nov 16
Page 14: Parrot

5. refugee

ROLLOVERS
August Bonus
1. hoof - Immortal in Death | Nov 4
Page 49: Hoof

2. unequal

September Reg
1. armchair - Rock Chick Reawakening | Nov 13
Page 72: Settling himself in my armchair

September Bonus
1. bloke

2. burial - Wide Open Spaces | Nov 22
Page 90: Sleeping right next to a burial site

3. pyramid - Immortal in Death | Nov 4
Page 224: Clever choreography that had her stepping nimbly onto a pyramid of hard male bodies

October Reg
1. halloween - Immortal in Death | Nov 4
Page 11: They looked like participants in a halloween parade

2. pumpkin - Trust | Nov 23
Page 30: One decaf pumpkin spice latte

October Bonus
1. gurgling - Blind Faith | Nov 17
Page 259: Blood gurgling out of his mouth

2. macabre

Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) by J.D. Robb Rock Chick Reawakening (Rock Chick, #0.5; 1001 Dark Nights #52) by Kristen Ashley Beneath These Scars (Beneath, #4) by Meghan March Blind Faith (Sin Brothers, #3) by Rebecca Zanetti A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2) by Natasha Anders Fighting for Flight (Fighting, #1) by J.B. Salsbury Disorderly Conduct (The Academy, #1) by Tessa Bailey Wide Open Spaces (Shooting Stars, #2) by Aurora Rose Reynolds Cold As Ice (Ice, #2) by Anne Stuart Trust (Wrong, #3) by Jana Aston

message 39: by Anabell (last edited Nov 30, 2018 02:27AM) (new)

Anabell | 32 comments Regular: 9/10 - Bonus 5/5 - BB 1/1
Leftover: 2/4

Regular
√ autopilot - Wicked Sexy Liar
Page 273/591 ''I drove here on autopilot…''

√ blunt - Born in Fire
Page 185/340 '' Her voice was blunt and dismissive, but Maggie sensed a little frisson of fear beneath.''

bittersweet

√ crisp
Born in Ice
page 77 ''...the pricey boots, worn jeans and crisp shirt.''

√ duel Born in Fire
Page 240/340 '' Cars, buses, motorbikes screeched and swerved and sped, their drivers seemingly bent on challenging each other to endless roadway duels.

√ explicit Sea Swept
Page 164/359 ''He leaned forward and murmured a higly charged and sexually explicit suggestion in her ear. ''

√ magnet - Blood Bound
page 39/636 magnetic ''He tapped a finger on the box and the light turned green just as if he'd swiped a magnetic card through it.''

√ moon Sea Swept
Page 141 '' Then hesimply sat down and in rhe moonlight simply cried.''

√ nurse Sea Swept
Page 20/359 ”The Nurse'll page him”

√ rival - The Good, the Bad, and the Undead
Page 1 ''Mr. Ray was a Den boy, a rival of Cincinnati's all Inderland baseball team.''

Bonus

√ audacity - The Good, the Bad, and the Undead
Page 238/453 '' If it had found a way past my circle it would have killed us both fir the audacity of calling it from the ever-after – wether it had been intentional or not.

√ barren - Born in Fire
Page 298/340 '' The landscape would change as soon as winter set it, become barren and swept by bitter wind''

√ diary - Born in Ice
page 77 ''...the pricey boots, worn jeans and crisp shirt.''

√ parrot - The Good, the Bad, and the Undead
Page 247/453''I have an African gray parrot as my familiar''

√ refugee - Blood Bound
Page 28/636 ”He ought to have looked like a refugee from a bad Dracula movie.''

bonus bonus
√ bovine - Born in Ice
Page 343 ''”Looks like porcelaine” Maggie mused, eyeing the glossy black-and-white body and foolishly grinning bovine face.

Leftover Okt
Scarecrow

√ pharaoh - Blood Bound
Page 130 ”Adams second stood watch at the door like a nubian guarding the Pharaoh”

leftover sep
√ Ladybug - Bedding the Wrong Brother
LOC 82 of 2848 ''No one to call her ladybug or practise tricks on''

Leftover Aug
Imposter

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 986 comments Ok just to be sure I am clear on this for the bonus words; if it is a singular noun like refugee, I cannot use the plural form refugees to claim it.

message 41: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19170 comments That’s right Roger - you can’t use the plural form if I have a singular form word on that list. But only for the bonus words. If refugee was a regular word, you could use the plural version 🙂

message 42: by Nicole (last edited Nov 21, 2018 05:58AM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I finished all the words for November. Including the bonus bonus word. And I managed to find two orphan words. Woohoo!

2018 November Word Hunt

Regular Words: 10/10 found

✓ Autopilot: In a Bind by Tess Oliver (09/11) ★★★
"...because my horse was on autopilot and I didn't need..." Page 91

✓ Blunt: Sacred Sins by Nora Roberts (01/11) ★★★
"His fingers were blunt and wide..." Page 94

✓ Bittersweet: The Real Deal: A Novel by Lauren Blakely (02/11) ★★★★
"...movie train romances are also bittersweet , so those don't fit." Page 59

✓ Crisp: Sacred Sins by Nora Roberts (01/11) ★★★
"...outside into the crisp bite of the November morning." Page 211

✓ Duel: Vampire Thirst by Ella J. Phoenix (06/11) ★★★
"If a duel is inevitable..." Loc 698

✓ Explicit: Cowboy and the Captive by Lora Leigh (13/11) ★★★
"...he talked to him, in explicit terms." Loc 389

✓ Magnet: Dirty Headlines by L.J. Shen (10/11) ★★★
"...he seemed to have a magnetic power over me every time..." Loc 4113

✓ Moon: The Real Deal: A Novel by Lauren Blakely (02/11) ★★★★
"...sent a man to the moon and invented stain remover." Page 92

✓ Nurse: Vampire Thirst by Ella J. Phoenix (06/11) ★★★
"...leaving the nurse to his chores." Loc 2984

✓ Rival: In a Bind by Tess Oliver (09/11) ★★★
"...with a yawn that could rival that of a male lion..." Page 5

In a Bind (Plaything, #3) by Tess Oliver Sacred Sins (D.C. Detectives, #1) by Nora Roberts The Real Deal by Lauren Blakely Vampire Thirst (Dragon Heat #2) by Ella J. Phoenix Cowboy and the Captive (Cowboys and Captives, #1) by Lora Leigh Dirty Headlines by L.J. Shen

Bonus Words: 5/5 found

✓ Audacity: The Hook-Up Experiment by Emma Hart (07/11) ★★★
"....the more their audacity pissed me off." Page 65

✓ Barren: And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (18/11) ★★★★
"...his family staying on a barren field near the old..." Page 381

✓ Diary: The Hook-Up Experiment by Emma Hart (07/11) ★★★
"...idea until I read the diary I had no idea she kept..." Page 60

✓ Parrot: The Real Deal: A Novel by Lauren Blakely (02/11) ★★★★
"...that Disney turned into a parrot in Aladdin." Page 246

✓ Refugee: Dirty Headlines by L.J. Shen (10/11) ★★★
"...uploaded this video, documenting a Syrian refugee trying to smuggle..." Loc 3559

The Hook-Up Experiment (The Experiment, #1) by Emma Hart And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini The Real Deal by Lauren Blakely Dirty Headlines by L.J. Shen

Bonus Bonus
✓ Bovine: And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (18/11) ★★★★
"...willfully taking on a muted bovine expression..." Page 124

Orphans
✓ Ladybug: The Real Deal: A Novel by Lauren Blakely (02/11) ★★★★
"...B and B with a ladybug theme." Page 100

✓ Macabre: Vampire Thirst by Ella J. Phoenix (06/11) ★★★
"...it were added to the macabre memories from the past..." Loc 1202

✓ Scarecrow: Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts (21/11) ★★★★★
"He was, well, the zombie scarecrow with a vulture..." Page 178

message 43: by Peri (new)

Peri June (perijune) | 54 comments Done! Msg. #12.

message 44: by Sapphire (last edited Nov 20, 2018 03:01PM) (new)

Sapphire  Bells (coldprincess) | 86 comments WORD HUNT
1st - 30th November

Words found : Regular 9/10 Bonus 3/5

Autopilot -
√ Bittersweet - Fight or Flight
pg.189 "I almost smiled at the bittersweet memory."
√ Blunt - Fight or Flight
pg.105 "Her dark brown hair was cut short and blunt so that.."
√ Crisp - The Book of Scandal
pg.90 "The air was crisp and cool, perfect for riding."
√ Duel - Forever His Texas Bride
pg.247 "Bob and the sister hushed their prayer duel."
√ Explicit - A Ruthless Proposition
pg.208 "I’ve left him with explicit instructions to ensure you get home safely."
√ Magnet - A Ruthless Proposition
pg.174 "..he exuded sexual magnetism and supreme self-confidence."
√ Moon - A Ruthless Proposition
pg.28 "...wasn’t enough to make her moon over a guy or she’d.."
√ Nurse - A Ruthless Proposition
pg.97 "Blue was a nurse and had first met Luc eight years before..."
√ Rival - A Ruthless Proposition
pg.194 "Gigi’s shriek was impressive and could rival anything Coco had in her bag of screeches."

BONUS

√ Audacity - Fight or Flight
pg.191 "...back that they couldn’t believe I’d had the audacity to show up."
√ Barren - The Book of Scandal
pg.3 "..missing. The corridor looked a little barren."
√ Diary - Fractured
pg.262 "..binding. It was the diary I'd tried to keep back then, a habit.."
Parrot -
Refugee -

Bovine -

message 45: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19170 comments Congrats Nicole and Peri!!

message 46: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 594 comments Finished! See message 13! :)

Till December, last one of 2018!

message 47: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19170 comments Rissa wrote: "Finished! See message 13! :)

Till December, last one of 2018!"

Congrats Rissa!!

message 48: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1390 comments Finished, and much faster than I have in a while! See post #27.

message 49: by Tammie (new)

message 50: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1370 comments Found a leftover book, but gained a new one. Oh, well...

Words found: 10/10
Bonus words found: 4/5
Bonus Bonus words found: 1/1
"Leftover" words found: 1/2
Books completed: 7

1. AUTOPILOT — The One You Fight For by Roni Loren ✓ 9 Nov
LOC 2997: They sang their way throught the chorus on autopilot, their gazes locked.

2. BLUNT — The One You Fight For by Roni Loren ✓ 9 Nov
LOC 2575: But I also thing your plan kind of sucks," she said bluntly.

3. BITTERSWEET — Lonely Planet Chile Easter Island by Carolyn McCarthy et al. ✓ 4 Nov
p. 423: Chilean director Andrés Wood's hit Machuca (2004) depicts the bittersweet coming-of-age of two very different boys during the class-conscious and volatile Santiago of 1973.

4. CRISP — Fodor's Essential Chile: with Easter Island & Patagonia by Amanda Barnes et al. ✓ 2 Nov
p. 43: Vineyards from Elqui to Bío Bío also produce this exciting white with fresh fruit, crisp acidity, and often and enticing mineral edge.

5. DUEL — Insight Guides: Chile & Easter Island by Ruth Bradley ✓ 1 Nov
p. 68: Payadores are grassroots poets and musicians, who engage each other in witty, passionate poetic duels whenever and wherever they meet.

6. EXPLICIT — Tempt the Flames by Marnee Blake ✓ 11 Nov
LOC 2417: Because she hadn't said it, not explicitly, but it was implied.

7. MAGNET — Fodor's Essential Chile: with Easter Island & Patagonia by Amanda Barnes et al. ✓ 2 Nov
p. 203: The windswept coast south of the town is almost completeldy undeveloped and a magnet for seabirds; it's also ideal for surfing, paddleboarding, and paragliding.

8. MOON — Insight Guides: Chile & Easter Island by Ruth Bradley ✓ 1 Nov
p. 20: The Valley of the Moon in northern Chile.

9. NURSE — The Rough Guide to Chile by Shafik Meghji & Anna Kaminski ✓ 2 Nov
p. 390: The Chilean federal and local governments do not regulatory provide animal control services, but Punta Arenas has a bone fido (!) Centre Rescate Canino that gathers up strays, nurses then back to health, neuters them and tries to find them a new home.

10. RIVAL — Fodor's Essential Chile: with Easter Island & Patagonia by Amanda Barnes et al. ✓ 2 Nov
p. 97: Although it can't rival Buenos Aires or Rio de Janeiro, Santiago buzzes with increasingly sophisticated bars and clubs.

Bonus
1. AUDACITY — The Rough Guide to Chile by Shafik Meghji & Anna Kaminski ✓ 2 Nov
p. 505: Sheila Cassidy Audacity to Believe (o/p). Distressing account of the imprisonment and horrific torture of a British doctor (the author) after she'd treated a wounded anti-Pinochet activist.

2. BARREN — Insight Guides: Chile & Easter Island by Ruth Bradley ✓ 1 Nov
p. 20: Among the brown, barren hillsides and parched Atacama Desert are places where no rain has ever been recorded.

3. DIARY — The Rough Guide to Chile by Shafik Meghji & Anna Kaminski ✓ 2 Nov
p. 507: Also of not by Alegria is The Chilean Spring, a fictional diary of a young photographer coming to terms with the coup in Santiago.

4. PARROT — DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Chile & Easter Island by Wayne Bernhardson ✓ 4 Nov
p. 147: Here, colonies of the burrowing parrot, Ioro tricahue, can be seen nesting in the canyon wall.

5. REFUGEE —

Bonus bonus
1. BOVINE — DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Chile & Easter Island by Wayne Bernhardson ✓ 4 Nov
p. 128: Displays include exhibits from the early 1900s that feature Chile's marine flora and fauna, stuffed animals from around the world, and rows of curiosities including bovine conjoined twins conserved in tanks of formaldehyde.

August 2018 "leftover"
Bonus
1. AMBIENT — Lonely Planet Chile Easter Island by Carolyn McCarthy et al. ✓ 4 Nov
p. 312: Service could be more attentive, but it is the most ambient option in town.

September 2018 "leftover"
Bonus bonus
1. LADYBUG —

Insight Guides Chile & Easter Island by Insight Guides The Rough Guide to Chile by Shafik Meghji Fodor's Essential Chile with Easter Island & Patagonia (Travel Guide) by Fodor's Travel Guides DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Chile & Easter Island by DK Publishing Lonely Planet Chile Easter Island by Lonely Planet The One You Fight For (The Ones Who Got Away, #3) by Roni Loren Tempt the Flames (The Smokejumpers #1) by Marnee Blake

« previous 1