Book Cougars discussion

Readalongs > Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 80 comments Mod
We will be discussing this book on Episode 63 which will be recorded on November 9, 2018.
We hear the audio version, which is narrated by the author, is wonderful!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 14 comments Mod
It is! : > D

message 3: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 5 comments I listen to it, loved it, learned more about the history of South Africa then I already knew. I'd love to learn even more.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobusaolcom) | 7 comments It is good on audio. So happy as I have read both books in the readalongs. I'm ready!

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 14 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "It is good on audio. So happy as I have read both books in the readalongs. I'm ready!"

Yeah, isn't it nice to be ahead of the curve for a change, Robin?

message 6: by Deb (new)

Deb | 16 comments Have been wanting to read this! Might try my hand at my first audio book :-)

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 14 comments Mod
Deb wrote: "Have been wanting to read this! Might try my hand at my first audio book :-)"

Trevor Noah reads it himself, Deb and does an excellent job.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hofle | 1 comments This was great on audio! So glad I am ahead of the curve for once.

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb (beebeereads) | 4 comments Listened to this on audio in 2017 and loved it! Then read it in print for my RL bookclub this year. I loved it just as much the second time around. I was glad I had his voice in my ear though. It really enhances the setting and the dialogue.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (ChrisWolak) | 65 comments Mod
Deb wrote: "Have been wanting to read this! Might try my hand at my first audio book :-)"

I just started listening and it is fantastic!

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments My library system does not have this in audiobook format, so I read the hardback. What a fascinating read- I am looking forward to hearing it discussed in the podcast! And I will definitely be suggesting that my library system purchase multiple copies of the audiobook so that I, and many others, can hear Trevor Noah tell his story himself!

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 80 comments Mod
Just finished listening!
I loved hearing Trevor narrate these essays about his childhood. I'm so thankful to Bianca Marais for recommending this as a companion read for our next readalong of her book - Hum If You Don't Know the Words. It definitely paints a picture of what it is like to grow up in a country where race is a defining aspect of life. Trevor's life was also impacted by abject poverty. Such a complete dichotomy from the world he inhabits today as a famous comedian and talk show host, I imagine. Looking forward to discussing with Chris tomorrow, and the continued discussion in this thread. Thank you all for participating!

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 80 comments Mod
Deb - did you listen, and if so, how was your first audio experience?

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (ChrisWolak) | 65 comments Mod
I listened to about 80% and read about 20%. It was fantastic to have Noah's voice in my head while reading. I loved hearing all the accents and pronunciations of various languages. What he has to say about language was fascinating -- that language is the primary definer of identity and what gives us a sense of belonging. Was anyone else surprised at how open he was about his "criminal" activity?

message 15: by Deb (new)

Deb | 16 comments Emily - I ended up reading Born a Crime. Loved it. So, so honest and heartbreaking at times. Chris - I was surprised on how open he was about his criminal activities!

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 13 comments I am listening on audio (had to actually get CDs from my library, add them all to my iTunes and then upload to my iPod!), and it is so AMAZING!! My son introduced me to Noah's TV show and stand-up comedy, but his memoir is so moving and real. Fascinating look at what South Africa was/is like, powerful and insightful...and of course, absolutely hilarious at times! I am loving it, especially hearing him tell his own stories in his own voice. I agree - all the stuff about language is fascinating, as well as the completely different way that race is seen there - black, white, and colored, and how as a mixed-race person raised in a black community with a black mom and white dad, he felt like he never fit in. His stories of not being able to walk next to his dad in the park were stunning (and of pooping on the floor like a puppy to avoid the outhouse just laugh-out-loud funny). I just lent it to my son, whose girlfriend has a concussion, so she is really limited to what she can do (but audio books are OK). Can't wait to hear the episode!

Thanks, Chris & Emily, for the extra motivation to get me to listen to this NOW and not put it off any longer :)

message 17: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Salmon | 4 comments I had to get it from audible since my library did not have it in audio. From all of your comments I wanted to listen to it. I agree some books are best read by the author with their dialect and inflections. Found the book provoked so many different emotions. What an example of resilience despite so many obstacles. I really enjoyed it.

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia | 2 comments I’m a little late to the party but wanted to say how much I enjoyed this book. Thank you for the recommendation. I’ve heard from many podcasts that this book was excellent. Thank you for motivating me to listen!

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 13 comments Finally wrote my review - absolutely loved this memoir, especially on audio:

https://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2018/...

Thanks for encouraging me to move it up my list!