Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

THE PRICE OF A FREE MEDIA > Operation Mockingbird declassified (How America's Most Powerful News Media Spread Propaganda for the CIA)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lance, Group Founder (last edited Jun 05, 2017 01:39AM) (new)

Lance Morcan | 1952 comments Excerpt from The Orphan Conspiracies: 29 Conspiracy Theories from The Orphan Trilogy:

From the 1950’s to 1970’s, the CIA covertly funded a number of leading domestic and foreign journalists from numerous major media outlets like The Washington Post, Time, The New York Times and CBS to publish CIA propaganda. This was known as Operation Mockingbird and was first brought to the public’s attention in 1975 by The Church Committee.

Senator Frank Church, after whom the committee was named, claimed that misinforming the world cost American taxpayers around US$265 million a year. Some of that cost was wages as many of the CIA’s journalist-spooks drew a CIA salary over and above their official media salary. Talk about serving two masters!

After the initial revelations, Congress admitted in 1976 that the CIA maintained a network of several hundred foreigners “who provide intelligence for the CIA and at times attempt to influence opinion through the use of covert propaganda.”

The CIA also admitted that these individuals provided the agency with direct access to many media outlets.

Although restraints have since been applied to the CIA’s media-related activities, to this day the agency makes no secret it continues to welcome the voluntary cooperation of reporters.

The CIA’s involvement with media doesn’t end there. In 1977, Washington Post journo Carl Bernstein, of Watergate fame, reported that “more than 400 journalists…in the past 25 years have secretly carried out assignments” for the CIA.

Intelligence agencies’ approach to manipulating news media is probably best summed up by a comment a senior CIA employee made to Bernstein: “One journalist is worth twenty agents.”

Besides messing with news media outlets, the agency has also been known to dabble in other forms of media. For example, the 1954 animated film Animal Farm, based on George Orwell’s classic novel, was secretly funded by the CIA. In fact, three-fifths of the movie’s half a million dollar budget was financed by the agency via one of its shell corporations, Touchstone Inc.

On the film’s listing on the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) site, the following is mentioned under the trivia section:“The CIA obtained the film rights to “Animal Farm” from Orwell’s widow, Sonia, after his death and covertly funded the production as anti-Communist propaganda. Some sources assert that the ending of the story was altered by the CIA (in the book, the pigs and humans join forces) to press home their message”.

The Orphan Conspiracies 29 Conspiracy Theories from The Orphan Trilogy by James Morcan

message 2: by Mikhayla (new)

Mikhayla Gracey | 270 comments Thank you for this information Lance,
“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.” -George Orwell 1984

message 3: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7197 comments I wondered if the CIA named that operation Mocking bird as they feel they are mocking the public with all their lies...

message 4: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 1952 comments James wrote: "I wondered if the CIA named that operation Mocking bird as they feel they are mocking the public with all their lies..."

That did cross my mind.

message 5: by Mikhayla (new)

Mikhayla Gracey | 270 comments It's a fair wonder. I do too.

In the Salt Lake Tribune today there was an article about how the FBI is upset with the cell phone companies for planning to install encryption because it would limit there ability to catch bad guys. It seems to me that given that they are required to have a warrant before spying they should be expected to present such a warrant before receiving access to the private conversation of the public. ...Snowden.... This article was on the last page. Why not the first? I read this article in the newspaper nevertheless.

I sell T-shirts, bumper stickers etc. with my logo on them. I have sold one. My idea is to spread the word the way pink ribbons have come to represent a support for breast cancer survivors and research. I dream that there will come a day that everyone understands what is going on, and will actively choose to stand against this threat. The invisible army would become visible. Conversations could take place regarding the issue, like you are doing here.

Look at the rainbow flag. At one time it was just the LGBT community who understood the meaning. Today it is, for the most part, public knowledge that it represents support for their community. The LGBT community did not have the advantage of the support of mainstay press. They had the advantage of a clear and deserving cause with right and truth on their side. All they really did, was demand to be seen.

There is a secret society guilty of gross crimes. These crimes as we know them can be listed and seen, as facts, not just conspiracy. We have a right to demand that an investigation take place and they be removed from influence. The organization "Believe the Children" was a good one with a good name. Wearing my logo would have that meaning, and more. It implies a vow to save the children.

The victims of this group have been speaking out. It's about time we announced that we hear, and believe them. Survivors are being told they will not be believed or heard, and so far what they are being told is a tragic truth. If mainstream media won't hear them, we can bloody well assure them that We do. No one should believe every account, as told. Not everyone who calls rape was actually raped, but we have finally come to accept that rape is a very real problem. We consider each case individually, but we most certainly recognize that there is no doubt that these atrocities are taking place, and we intend to do our part to put an end to them. When we have our numbers, and a clear objective, then we will have influence, not until. One day I hope to see my logo as readily as I see pink ribbons. On that day the mainstream media will have no choice but to cover the cause. They will be rendered irrelevant regardless.

I am no one of any great recognition. I would have been happy to have lived my life unseen, until the fight came to me, and frankly I'm okay with not being seen regardless. It's my logo I want to be seen, my dream. My dream is the dream of someone who loves a child still trapped in this nightmare. I am a momma bear, wreathing in rage and frustration at these monster's torturing her cub. If media is what is needed to trump up an army to end the reign of monsters, then media I will have, even if I have to drum it up myself. I talk big, because I hurt, but the truth is, I know nothing about media. All I know is how badly I want this pain to turn to victory over this evil stench. The rainbow flag started with pain like this.

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean (madogmarcek) | 10 comments the longer i go without watching tv the more obviouse it is that this "entertainment" is toxic to the mind and hinders free thought and originality. it is much too easy to become down about the way the world is. it makes it all the more refreshing when i find a page such as this. the format and layout is beautiful. james and lance you two have done a wonderful job with this. keep up the good work.

message 7: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7197 comments Sean wrote: "the longer i go without watching tv the more obviouse it is that this "entertainment" is toxic to the mind and hinders free thought and originality. it is much too easy to become down about the way the world is. it makes it all the more refreshing when i find a page such as this. the format and layout is beautiful. james and lance you two have done a wonderful job with this. keep up the good work..."

Thanks mate.

message 8: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 1952 comments Sean wrote: "the longer i go without watching tv the more obviouse it is that this "entertainment" is toxic to the mind and hinders free thought and originality. it is much too easy to become down about the way..."

Cheers mate.

message 9: by David (new)

David Elkin | 452 comments found this article relating Operation Mockingbird and JFK. I am impressed with references to original works: http://spartacus-educational.com/JFKm...

message 10: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 1952 comments David wrote: "found this article relating Operation Mockingbird and JFK. I am impressed with references to original works: http://spartacus-educational.com/JFKm..."

Good one David. A useful site that.

message 11: by Dodie (new)

Dodie Blocker (dodieblocker) | 1 comments David wrote: "found this article relating Operation Mockingbird and JFK. I am impressed with references to original works: http://spartacus-educational.com/JFKm..."

David, I went to your link and was surprised to find an abundance of information on many topics. I did not know this site existed but have now bookmarked it. I found mass information on the subject of slavery in which I am totally engrossed in.

Thank you for sharing it!

message 12: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7197 comments The CIA's war on the mind and manipulation of the media -- https://www.goodreads.com/videos/9986...

message 13: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7197 comments p.s. One of the CIA's nicknames among spooks is Crime Incorporated of America ... So watch and listen to the mainstream media at your own peril ;)

message 15: by James, Group Founder (last edited Jun 05, 2017 01:37AM) (new)

James Morcan | 7197 comments Pullitzer prize-winning investigative journalist and author Carl Bernstein on Operation Mockingbird:

After leaving The Washington Post in 1977, Carl Bernstein spent six months looking at the relationship of the CIA and the press during the Cold War years. His 25,000-word cover story, published in Rolling Stone on October 20, 1977, is reprinted in full here: http://www.carlbernstein.com/magazine...

message 16: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 1952 comments Intelligence agency excerpts from The Black Vault: http://www.theblackvault.com/document...

Operation Mockingbird was a secret campaign by the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to influence media. Begun in the 1950s, it was initially organized by Cord Meyer and Allen W. Dulles, it was later led by Frank Wisner after Dulles became the head of the CIA.

The organization recruited leading American journalists into a network to help present the CIA’s views, and funded some student and cultural organizations, and magazines as fronts. As it developed, it also worked to influence foreign media and political campaigns, in addition to activities by other operating units of the CIA.

Download the Operation Mockingbird Declassified Documents http://documents.theblackvault.com/do...

CIA Records on Operation Mockingbird [6 Pages, 1.46MB] – According to the CIA, these are all the records available on Mockingbird.

message 17: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7197 comments The Nation: https://www.thenation.com/article/why...

"In 1977, Carl Bernstein published an exposé of a CIA program known as Operation Mockingbird, a covert program involving, according to Bernstein, “more than 400 American journalists who in the past 25 years have secretly carried out assignments for the Central Intelligence Agency.” Bernstein found that in “many instances” CIA documents revealed that “journalists were engaged to perform tasks for the CIA with the consent of the managements of America’s leading news organizations.”

Operation Mockingbird - The Black Vault http://www.theblackvault.com/document...

Operation Mockingbird was a secret campaign by the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to influence media. Begun in the 1950s, it was initially organized by Cord Meyer and Allen W. Dulles, it was later led by Frank Wisner after Dulles became the head of the CIA.

The organization recruited leading American journalists into a network to help present the CIA’s views, and funded some student and cultural organizations, and magazines as fronts. As it developed, it also worked to influence foreign media and political campaigns, in addition to activities by other operating units of the CIA.

Declassified Documents http://www.theblackvault.com/document...

The New York Times: Project Mockingbird - Spying on Reporters https://washington.blogs.nytimes.com/...

THE CIA AND THE MEDIA - Carl Bernstein http://www.carlbernstein.com/magazine...

message 18: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7197 comments Conspiracy FACT #3: Operation Mockingbird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YJK9...