School Librarians & Teachers discussion

MIKE LUPICA

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John | 10 comments I am a male literature teacher, and I constantly struggle to help male students find books that they might like.

Sportswriter Mike Lupica has started writing young adult sports themed fiction in the past few years. TRAVEL TEAM, SUMMER BALL, THE BIG FIELD, HEAT, and MIRACLE on 49th Street are all male friendly, sports themed books that explore the father/son relationship. Travel Team & Summer Ball explore overcoming obstacles.

A librarian or teacher interested in helping their male students feel motivated to read should check these books out.

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb Keltner (barbkeltner) | 9 comments Have you read "Deadline" by Chris Crutcher? LOTS of football action but also a tear-jerker, so it will appeal to many types of readers.

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb Keltner (barbkeltner) | 9 comments If you'd want to pair a nonfiction with your fiction, a good choice might be the new "Our Boys: A Perfect Season on the Plains with the Smith Center Redmen" by Joe Drape. It's been compared to "Friday Night Lights" but shows a town with a more positive type of support.

message 4: by Ms. Graves (new)

Ms. Graves (msgraves-librarian) | 5 comments I agree about Mike Lupica's books. They are very popular at the middle school I work at. Also worth checking out is Tim Green, who has written "Baseball Great", "Football Genius" and "Football Hero". He is a former NFL player for the Falcons.

message 5: by John (new)

John | 10 comments I like all of the ideas that have been listed. I am going to check with my librarian at school to see if she has them.

I have not read Deadline, but I will look for it. I have read Friday Night Lights, but I have not seen Our Boys (I don't really peruse book stores very often). I am also going to see if we have some Tim Green in our library.

Last year, I started counting pages with my kids. We read 400,000 pages as a class (130 kids), and one student read over 50,000 pages alone! This year, we are shooting for 500,000 pages with fewer kids in the class (110).

Eight of my top ten readers last year were girls, so that is why I focus on finding books that may interest boys.

message 6: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristin_michelle) | 4 comments I just started as a middle school librarian... have any of you had success with reaing to middle schoolers? I have class with 5th adn 6th graders and have thought about reading short stories. What's your opinion?

message 7: by John (new)

John | 10 comments I have read to my 6th graders and my 8th graders, aloud.

I have read MANIAC MAGEE (I love that one because you can do voices.) I read Rick Riordan's THE LIGHTNING THIEF aloud. I read HOOT by Carl Hiaasen aloud. I read THE HUNGER GAMES aloud. It takes about 15 or 20 minutes a day, and I have my kids work on something while I am doing it (a reading journal or a reaction to what I am reading).

Short stories would be great because you could work on the elements of plot with them, and consistently stop to check for understanding.

message 8: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristin_michelle) | 4 comments Hey, I totally posted that question on this discussion topic, then realized it was about Mike Lupica books. Sorry about that, and thanks for answering anyways! I am thinking about reading Hoot. I loved the Hunger Games, but I am unsure about reading it to 6th graders. Having them do something at the same time is a good idea. Thanks!

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb Keltner (barbkeltner) | 9 comments I just finished a GREAT baseball fiction book one of my 6th graders recommended to me -- "Stumptown Kid" by Carol Gorman (c2005). Set in the 50's and includes an African American main character, so it tackles race relations of the time too. Very, VERY exciting! A great read for anyone, even those of us who aren't big baseball fans!