The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Female gearheads?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 4 comments Can the great hive mind recommend SF/F books with female gearheads, blacksmiths, engineers, and so forth? The only example I can think of right now is Kaylee from Firefly, but I'm sure there must be more out there.

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 4818 comments Mercy Thompson comes to mind, although it doesn’t play a huge part of the books I read.

If comics count, then The Engineer from The Authority, Vol. 1: Relentless and Riri Williams (aka Ironheart) from Iron Man. Also GoGo Tomago of Big Hero 6, but I know her from the movie.

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2589 comments Gearheads, gearheads, nothing is coming to mind...but if you want some Discworld, Monstrous Regiment is subversively awesome.

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 4818 comments Oh, I just thought of a recent one: Cinder, the cyborg mechanic.

message 5: by John (Nevets) (last edited Oct 07, 2018 12:38PM) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (Nevets) | 977 comments Very first thought was Naomi from the Expanse series, and Kizzy from The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. But in looking for others like Svetlana from Pushing Ice or Cord from Anathem I found the TV trope "Wrench Wench", a truly awful name, but the trope seems to the list the type of charcters you are looking for. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 4818 comments Ooh, Kizzy! How could I have forgotten her? And I just bought Pushing Ice, so that’s cool to know,

message 7: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 85 comments Artemis by Andy Weir

message 8: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (Spriggana) | 12 comments Tinker from Wen Spencer’s Tinker and the rest of Elfhome series (and more later on).
Genevieve Lefoux from Gail Carriger’s Soulless and other books from this universe.
Thirteenth Doctor :-)

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Niedzwiecki | 1 comments Megan wrote: "Can the great hive mind recommend SF/F books with female gearheads, blacksmiths, engineers, and so forth? The only example I can think of right now is Kaylee from Firefly, but I'm sure there must b..."
Just read Blind Waves by S Gould = female gearhead protagonist; also his Exo novel (the final in his Jumper series) features a female gearhead (Millicent 'Cent') but the 'gears' in question are borderline TOO hard-hard science for me who generally loves hard Sci Fi. Not sure how Exo would read without some knowledge of the earlier books in the series, but she is the most gearhead female I have ever read/watched ... ever!

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (J-Boo) | 185 comments It’s been a while since I read LIGHTLESS by C. A. Higgins so I’m not positive on the details, but my leftover impression of the book leads me to think the main character there may fit the bill

message 11: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 85 comments Grimspace is the 1st book in Sirantha Jax series. Jax is a female navigator of grimspace. Not necessarily a mech but may fit what you are looking for. Are you planning on reading the books?

message 12: by Joe Informatico (last edited Oct 08, 2018 07:30PM) (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 869 comments Soo wrote: "Grimspace is the 1st book in Sirantha Jax series. Jax is a female navigator of grimspace. Not necessarily a mech but may fit what you are looking for."

I thought of Grimspace too! Jax might not qualify, but Dina definitely does.

Naomi Nagata of The Expanse books, natch.\

If manga counts, Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 has Winry Rockbell and her grandmother Pinako.

Elena Shaw, protagonist of The Cold Between, is chief engineer of her ship.

message 13: by Raucous (new)

Raucous | 14 comments Sophie in Flotsam is an airship engineer (and quite taken with technology in general).

The four women at the center of All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault are all science students. Perhaps it would be of interest.

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan | 4 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "Very first thought was Naomi from the Expanse series, and Kizzy from The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. But in looking for others like Svetlana from Pushing Ice or ..."

This is great! And a general (but hearty) thanks to everyone for dropping suggestions in here. Definitely have some exploring to do.

message 15: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (StephenofLongBeach) | 902 comments Also A Closed and Common Orbit by the wonderful Becky Chambers also has the backstory of Pepper who had a brief appearance in The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet.

message 16: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (SeanSandulak) | 406 comments I put this in the podcast thread but I'll echo it here:
I believe the Vaginal Fantasy book Veronica was thinking of may have been The Falconer by Elizabeth May. While noticeably absent of any actual falcons, it features a main character who creates wacky inventions. Think steampunk Batgirl meets Twilight, but in a good way.

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 147 comments What about B'ellana Torres from Star Trek Voyager television and books?

And as mentioned above Winry Rockbell definitely comes to mind in the series Fullmetal Alchemist.

message 18: by Alex (last edited Oct 23, 2018 09:16AM) (new)

Alex Tang | 13 comments Anailu Xindar from The Sculpted Ship. Anailu is a ship's engineer who goes off on her own to buy a special spacecraft and has to grow not only as an engineer, but as a starship captain on her adventures. It's a good, lighthearted book that's fun.

And Stephen already mentioned Pepper from A Closed and Common Orbit is also a fantastic character in a brilliant book.

message 19: by Shara (new)

Shara (SAVyReader) | 1 comments I just finished reading Artemis by Andy Weir and the lead female character, Jazz, is a welder and a moon smuggler and one heck of a saboteur!