The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Type 1,2, or 3 Civilizations

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (last edited Oct 05, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Chris Campbell (foshizol) | 4 comments I didn't know where to put this. Sorry if it ended up in the wrong place.

I'm looking for Science Fiction books that involve type 1,2, or 3. civilizations written in the last 10 years. I've already read The Three Body Problem series.

Thanks for any help you can give.

message 2: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2192 comments For those unfamiliar with the scale Chris mentions, read this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardash...

Chris - Stephen Renneberg Mapped Space books. The first (The Mothership) is set now-ish on Earth and is very good but an introduction to the setting. The next 3, starting with The Antaran Codex are set in a galaxy with many levels of civilizations.

Of course, whether you like them will depend on why you're looking for books like this - what you want out of say a book about various Kardashev level civilizations, etc. More info about that will help people guide you. For example, Iain M Banks Culture novels are about a highly advanced civilization.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Campbell (foshizol) | 4 comments Thank you Rick,

Rick wrote: "For those unfamiliar with the scale Chris mentions, read this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardash...

Chris - Stephen Renneberg Mapped Space books. The first (The Mothersh..."

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 4910 comments Why the last 10 years? Just a style thing?

Pretty sure the Culture is Type II or III. Lensman is almost certainly Type III.

The Puppeteers (Niven) are a solid Type II. The new books are fairly recent. Fleet of Worlds, etc.

There must be some Type I and Type IIs in the Star Trek books.

message 5: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (Iain_Bertram) | 605 comments Trike wrote: "Why the last 10 years? Just a style thing?

Pretty sure the Culture is Type II or III. Lensman is almost certainly Type III.

The Puppeteers (Niven) are a solid Type II. The new books are fairly r..."

I don’t think any book has type III. Even lensman with its ludicrous weapons. Galaxy spanning but not type III. Now Skylark where it gets really 😜

The power output of a galaxy is probably 10 orders of magnitude or so greater than a star...

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 871 comments I don't know if you'd call Olaf Stapledon's titular Star Maker a Type III, a IV or V, or essentially The Creator God of All Things and thus beyond categorization, but there it is.

message 7: by Brad (new)

Brad Haney | 131 comments Peter F. Hamilton has a good amount of Type 1 civilizations in his work and some touch on Type 2.

message 8: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 474 comments Alastair Reynolds "Revelation Space" series has II and IIIs