I Read Comic Books discussion

Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends
This topic is about Revival, Vol. 1
BotM Discussions > October BotM Discussion - Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 301 comments Mod
What did you think of Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends? Was it spooky enough for you? What did you like? Were you creeped out a little bit?

Reminder: This discussion thread is FULL SPOILERS for volume 1! If you have read farther in the series, please be careful not to share spoilers for anything that happens after volume 1.

Tune in to the IRCB Podcast on Wednesday, October 31st, 2018, to hear our discussion of this book. If it's ok to read your comments on the show, please post them by August 25th and include "OK TO AIR" in your post!

message 2: by Vojtěch (new)

Vojtěch Rabyniuk | 9 comments Revival was a pleasant surprise for me. I cannot say it was spooky but it for sure caused some chilling which is always great achievement for comics. Here it is mostly cause of great art but Tim Seeley for sure knows how to built a horror story :)
OK TO AIR

Chad | 125 comments I love this series and have read through it a couple of times now. It's like a horror version of Fargo. Seeley and Norton do a great job of furthering the mystery with each arc. Those Jenny Frison covers are works of art! Jumping ahead a bit the ending of the series did feel a bit rushed to me though. My only complaint about the whole series.

My Review of Vol. 1

For those of you that aren't aware, this is being turned into a movie. Here's the trailer.

OK TO AIR

Paul Porry | 2 comments I really enjoyed Revival, horror with supernatural elements. I enjoyed the entire series, and recommend it.

message 5: by Kait (last edited Oct 08, 2018 06:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kait (KaitL) | 96 comments Mod
Chad wrote: "I love this series and have read through it a couple of times now. It's like a horror version of Fargo. Seeley and Norton do a great job of furthering the mystery with each arc. Those Jenny Frison ..."

Oh man, I either forgot this was happening or never heard about it. I got chills at the end of the trailer! Thanks for sharing!

--

I am really glad I finally had some force pushing me to read this, because I have been meaning to for a while. And now to find out there's so much of it! I certainly should not stay up until 2 in the morning again to read another volume...but I might. I am very thankful that this is available on Hoopla.

I also grew up in a small town, although it wasn't as much of a farming community as Wausau. This book certainly grasped the feeling of a small town--particularly the gossipy social tension and how we did things for people because our grandparents knew them (and my grandparents knew everyone).

I am really intrigued by the physical class/race divide in this town and the backstory there, and I'm curious if it's going to become relevant to the main plot later. The diversity certainly lent to my enjoyment of this book.

I really enjoyed the art in this book. The majority of the characters and setting feel very real-world, but then there are the glowing elongated creatures. I think the artist did a very good job at making them look believable in the real-world setting. Also, even though the teeth and violence scenes were disturbing, it wasn't overdone to the point that I was actually disgusted.

I also really appreciate the artist's ability to make the sisters look SO similar, but at a glance I can still somehow tell which is which. There have been so many other books where I didn't know which character I was looking at.

I definitely want to read more of this series!

OKAY TO AIR

Chad | 125 comments Kait wrote: "I definitely want to read more of this series!"

I blazed through the series in a week. It's one hell of a read.

Stephanie | 17 comments I.............................. have mixed feelings. They border more towards positive, as evidenced by the fact that I immediately put volumes 2, 3 and 4 on hold, but I'm not 100% sold. Part of my not loving it is a very personal thing--I don't read a ton of horror and I also tend to notice when violence against women happens, and there was quite a bit of that in these pages. The introduction of Mr Abel, the awful demonologist guy with the horrid ringtone was especially notable, and he kept getting worse. I absolutely get that this is who he is as a character, but it ended up highlighting that most of the violence in this was directed towards women.

All that said: a lot works in this volume! The setting, the art, the mystery of the revivers, and the characters--it's all very well done and compelling AF. I read this while in transit to and from work so there were a lot of starts and stops, and every time I put the book down, the stuff I'd just read stuck with me and I found myself wondering what would happen next. I'm looking forward to reading more, and seeing where this goes.

Also, does anyone else feel really terrible for the poor Rush-loving crematorium tech? If only he'd become a professional bowler....
Also: Lester, I appreciate that you wanna get out of your house because of the creepy sounds, but don't leave your dog! so rude!

(okay to air)

message 8: by Daniel (last edited Oct 27, 2018 01:02PM) (new) - added it

Daniel | 176 comments OK TO AIR

I also have mixed feelings about this book, I think my main issue is that what makes it interesting, the mystery about the revivers is also what takes away from the stakes of the book.
The art is definitely my favorite part of this book, it fits so well, by really building up suspense and not holding back on the Gore, and also making sure that all the characters are distinct.
I am not very on board with one of our main characters, Em is not a character that I feel like I want her to s May due to the way she is approaching the situations.
It’s actually tough to put into words why I could not get into this book as much as I wanted after the first issue. I will probably not keep reading, but I may revisit this in the future

I will end in a positive
The covers for this book are amazing!

Robert | 39 comments I'm only so-so on the book. I like the concept and enjoyed reading the story. The art is good. But, I really hate volumes that don't resolve anything. What makes the end of this book the end of an arc? We don't know anything more at the end than we did at the beginning. Maybe I missed it, but it didn't seem anything was "resolved" by the end of this. Maybe I am not reading it right, but I sort of expect a "volume" to be like a season of a TV show. The B or C plots should have some resolution, if not the main A plot.

For me, it didn't make me run out to get the next chapter. Rather, it seemed a bit forgettable.

Stephanie | 17 comments Robert wrote: "I'm only so-so on the book. I like the concept and enjoyed reading the story. The art is good. But, I really hate volumes that don't resolve anything. What makes the end of this book the end of an ..."

I recently read The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (vol 1) and visited the old thread for that in this forum, and one of repeated comments was the annoyance at the way the volume ended. like this one, it was kind of a cliffhanger type thing. I honestly don't tend to mind too much because I think of comics much more episodic than full arc, and if the comic was successful, the "OH NO! What's in line for our poor heroes?" ending will work its magic and entice me to check out the next volume. That said, I definitely appreciate the idea that if the volume as a whole doesn't work, a cliffhanger type ending won't work