PEACE discussion

"Sisterhood Of The Traveling PEACE"

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 107 comments Mod
OK?

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 37 comments I like that! But, can you explain the concept, I know its a movie but I never seen it.

message 3: by Sharon (new)

HI Molly!
"Peace Be Unto You."

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments Sharon you are so cleaver!
I love the title!!
As sisters in Christ, we can spread PEACE where ever we travel. Like taking the "pants" and sharing them with each other... we can share our PEACE with each other when we each need it most.
Peace and Love to you all!

message 5: by Sharon (new)

God is good... All the time! Hi Vanessa & everyone!
In the movie, there was a pair of "pants" that everyone of a group of friends liked. These ladies stayed friends over the years, and each lady "sent" the pair of "pants/bluejeans" on ahead to another lady, and they shared this pair of "pants".
Then that lady would box up the "pants" and send it forward to another friend in the group. This was a common thread and bond of love between them. Who ever had the "pants", good things seemed to happen to them. They just kept sending this pair of pants forward to each other over the years and good things happened to all of them! I think maybe over the years each lady would sew something to the pants, like some sparkles or decoration or change, to make the pants look better according to the times going by.
Make the pants fit them.

The Peace of God is for us all to own and to forward on to others, yet we are never really without that Peace. The sending the Peace on seems to make the Joy Bigger in ourself.
Amazing how the Lord works

Peace forward & bless Wanda in Texas with good things / "The Sisterhood Of The Traveling PEACE".

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments Each bit or "piece" of Peace in God we provide will sew a bit onto our "pants", so that when everyone adds a little they will fit us all - perfectly! Great summary of the story - thanks Sharon.
I hope to add a little sparkle here and there.
I'm passing the "pants"... who wants to sew on some decoration next?

message 7: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 37 comments I knew I would love this!

message 8: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 13 comments Hey Sharon, Thought I'd add a comment. Just speaking the word PEACE takes on so many facets of my life. Yes, satan (lowercase s, btw) loves to throw those firey darts and I feel disgruntled, but when I give God the glory, those things are revealed thru different eyes and so insignifcant. As Sisters in Christ, we have to keep the PEACE rolling!
Blessings, Jeannie

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments Peaceful state of mind.
I had a dear coworker that was laid off her job. She was so distroyed by it. Her job had become a big part of her life, and she put so much energy into it, that it actually made her ill. It was a great source of pride and self worth for her. I tried to comfort her, I told her that God must have something else in store for her life. To rejoice in the new and exciting posibilities that lay ahead. What an exciting journey this could be.

2 weeks after she was laid off, I was laid off as well. I was distroyed, for I too had given it 100% and it was a big piece of who I was. I spent a few hours very upset, hurt, mad. Then I remembered the advice I had given my friend... and, I gave that advice to myself. I prayed for strength, for forgiveness, for comfort, for a new beginning. The next morning, my hurt was gone. I was free of all of the hurt and negative feelings I had. I was expected to go into my job and train a person to take over my duties that next week. I was afraid that I would be resentful, and hurt and unable to do that without all of those feelings I had. But God answered my prayer and in every way I was free. I was happy, I was truely blessed with the ability to go in with no resentment, no hurt, Only good intentions and train the person to take over my duties, and leave that job with respect from the management that let me go, but more importantly my self respect. I have maintained that calm peace about myself, because I know God will provide me with what I need. I am not afraid of what may come. God has blessed me with a new job, even better than the last!
Peace is but a prayer away, my sisters. You just have to ask.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Good Monday Morning to everyone! You are all about to experience a week of your own choice - choose to make the days bright with the seeing of the wonderful things God provides and creates in all of our lives.
Expect the greastest things - draw the things of God near to your hearts and minds - you are powerfully and wonderfully made in the image of Christ.
Therefore, experience the JOY in the day!

I pass the PEACE on to B. You are on to a new school year and on to the changing of the seasons. Nature girl, hippy friend, go hiking , even if it is in your own back yard to look at a leaf on a tree. You can give that face on that leaf the majesty it deserves in the whole theme of it all.
Hugs and Peace to beautiful Stella Grace!!
B., that photo of Stalla Grace being held up in the air is a "heart throb awwwwww tooo amazingly lovable georgeous little girl"! Eveyone agree?

love, Sharon

message 11: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 13 comments This morning I went for the first time to an exercise class with two wonderful Christain friends at a nearby church. The newfound energy was exhilerating, not to mention to see the joy and peace on everyone's exhausted faces. LOL. But on the way home one of my friends asked for special prayer for a family who has a daughter in college and twins sons starting their senior year. Saturday night the parents went out to eat and on the way home, a friend of one of boys, hit the parents head-on. He was drunk. A good samaritain stopped and cut the mother free with his pocket knife, but the dad, a big, tall man was crushed under the dash. The car burst into flames and he perished. The mother will survive, but with numerous broken bones. Everyone starts school today and it should be a joyous experience. Please pray for PEACE for all involved. The gentleman who tried to rescue the couple is severely depressed and guilt-ridden he couldn't do more. God's PEACE passes all understanding. Please lift them up in prayer. God bless you.
Jeannie

message 12: by Sharon (new)

The terrible passes by as we run to the wonderful. And it all seems to weigh our crushing bodies down under the weight of it all that we do not understand.
Only Passionate Faith ever seems to help in utter dispair.
People's choices. Always the consequences of our choices trail out and bump into others.
For a time Grief, as a companion, will dwell.
And then as God works, even grief will be turned to a flower blooming eternally in His care.
All of us grieve and extend our comfort to these persons, Jeannie.
Jesus grieves.
In the entire picture ministering angels rush to every person involved, even the drunk young guy that now knows his life is forever altered too.
Jesus grieves for those who dwell in dark places of the mind, and He really does want the mind to go to the Light places.
Holy Spirit talks and we listen to how to heal with the time we are given as humans.
God has told us that ultimately we are citizens of Heaven - those who believe in Him are just passing through - and on we go to home and heaven's hearth awaiting.
It seems odd that the hurting ones are the ones left behind, believers who have left this earth are truly not hurting and we must take that knowing to our hearts and hold up the Promise of God that if we love each other, we will Live.
Sharon

message 13: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 13 comments Sharon, your warm, fluid words filled my heart like a sweet sonnet. God has truly given you a gift. Even though I'm far removed from these people, as a child of God, I ache for their aches. Yet when I read your comment PEACE filled my soul, my heart, my mind. The ability to comprehend deeper, sweeter and grander, wrapped around the awesome word 'PEACE' now brings comfort to me and I can share it with others.
God bless you.
Jeannie

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments Our hearts and prayers are with you Jeannie and your dear friends. "Citizens of Heaven" what a beautiful comfort. Thank you Sharon. We can all share these words of PEACE.

message 15: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 13 comments Thank you so much, Diana. I really feel blessed to be a part of this group.
Hugs, Jeannie

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments Prayer for the Nation

With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds... to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

--- Abraham Lincoln, Second inaugural address (1864)

message 17: by Sharon (last edited Aug 28, 2009 09:20AM) (new)

Hi everyone! Peace be unto you!

Wanda F., How are things with you & how is Lake Jackson?
You mentioned that your husband Jimmy plays in a BlueGrass Band & travels? What instrument does he play? Does the band practice at your home? What instruments are there in the band? Does Jimmy Sing?
I love Bluegrass & love music! & would love to hear the band!
We have some Texas girls here. I know you said Jimmy was in Witchita Falls & before that performed in Dallas.
Where else will he be bringing the band to perform?

Wishing Jimmy & band the best as they are traveling! That seems like the Traveling Peace to me!

message 18: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 13 comments Hi fellow Peace-Makers...*smile*, Sounds like Wanda's Jimmy is a real 'picker & grinner'. Love it!
I hope everyone has a blessed weekend. I'm spending saturday afternoon and night with my sister, Faye. She lives up on Caddo Lake. We're gonna wear our Cowboy jerseys and root them on against San Francisco.
We're die-hard fans if they win or lose.
So I gotta say it.........HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!??!!
Hugs!

message 19: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 13 comments Hi fellow PEACE-makers! I like that Jeannie! I want to thank all of you for your prayers and encouragement! I am feeling so much better and I give God the glory, he answered your prayers!

My husband, Jimmy, can play any stringed instrument, except the fiddle, and I used to play that, which is how we met! He mainly plays banjo with his band, but he is a wonderful guitar player too! He started playing when he was 5, he and his twin brother learned from their Dad. We will be at Salmon Lake at Grapeland Texas for the Labor Day festival. This will be our 25th year to be their on Labor day!

I like the Sisterhood of the traveling PEACE! I have not seen the movie or read the book, but I think I would enjoy it.

PEACE my sisters!

Wanda

message 20: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 13 comments Hey Wanda, I love that you shared with us about you and your family's talent, and the fact that's how you met. Would you believe Monte and I met at the dragstrip? I've always had a love affair with cars. Mother and Daddy went to the races while she was pregnant with me so I used to tell her she 'marked' me. LOL!
We both have a dragcar, mine is a white 81 Monte Carlo with PINK racing stripes (her name is Connie. Doesn't everyone name their vehicles? HA.) It says ICE COLD on the windshield. Monte has an 89 Camaro Z28, bright yellow, thus the name Yellow Ice. He says women make better racers, & I have the majority of trophies & $$ earned. So maybe he's right? LOL!

I bet when ya'll are making sweet music it's PEACEful. I know I find PEACE when I'm doing a burnout & especially if I bet the person in the other lane. *smile* All 3 of our sons drag race,too. So it's a family thing like your passion. We've raced at Ennis, right where John Force and other famous NHRA people have.

So, you other PEACE-makers, what 'hobby' brings you PEACE? I wish everyone a blessed weekend and I hope the Dallas Cowboys win...oh yeah, football is PEACEful to me, too.
Hugs, Jeannie

message 21: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments I find that the hobby that brings me the most peace is painting. Little crafty painting projects. I love painting things, furniture, walls, little pictures for the kids rooms. I guess creating things is always very good for the soul.

Wow Jeannie, you and Connie are Radical! You go GIRL! That's wonderful!

So, to carry on Jeannie's question.... What hobby brings you PEACE?

message 22: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 13 comments Oh wow, Diana...want an awesome gift God has given you to be able to paint and crafts. I started some things, but I honestly did better in VBS when I was little. Ha! Just because it's not as "radical" as you say, doesn't mean it isn't amazing!!
Smiles, Jeannie

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments VBS That reminds me of maccaroni art. : )
Thanks Jeannie!

message 24: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 13 comments Doesn't it though! LOL! I don't remember ANY craft in VBS that didn't involve elbow macaroni. ;-)

message 25: by Sharon (new)

OK GIRLS! Its time to get that SIsterhood Of The TRaveling PAnts of PEACE Going Again :) - where are those pants? SOmeone needs to send those forward! :)
Do I have the traveling pants? I just love you each and want us to start talking agin.
Holidays are coming up, there's lots to chat about.
Jeannie I'll pass those traveling Pants on to you girl, give us a shout out girlfriends!
love you Sharon

message 26: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 13 comments Well Sharon and my other sweet Sisters....here's the deal...I couldn't get the dang pants ON! So..I've been working harder at my physical therapy sessions and Ta-Da!!!!....they slipped on this morning. LOL! Seriously, I love this idea and SO...I'm passing the pants to DIANA - your turn girlfriend. They may be a bit stretched out cause I got a lot of 'junk in my trunk'. Love you girls and have a blessed weekend! PEACE and hugs!