Historical Fictionistas discussion

Favorite HF Authors > Lucia St. Clair Robson

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kandice (last edited Aug 18, 2009 02:23PM) (new)

Kandice I have red each and every one of Lucia St. Clair Robson's books and have loved them all. They include Tokaido Road, Ghost Warrior, Light A Distant Fire, Tiana, Mary's Land, Fearless, Ride the Wind, Walk in My Soul. My favorites are the ones about America's past. Not only the American Indians found in a few, but the settler's she focuses on in Mary's Land.

Each time I read one of her books I feel I have gained so much while being entertained. She must be an exhaustive researcher. I really feel familiar with the culture she is showing me by books end.

Anyone read any of hers?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments As you know K, I have Tokaido Road but I promise not to read it until I finish Shogun :)

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Well, I guess no one else has read any of her books:(

That's sad, because they are so, so good. Informative, in a not beaten over the head with info, way, too! You learn so much about each culture she tackles that you feel you would almost be at home there. (well, usually filthy, but at least not lost)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I had never heard of her. I have to admit I haven't read much Western historical fiction, but, thanks to this thread, I just added three of them to my TBR list.

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice HOORAY!!!!! I feel so much better:D

I read Ride the Wind when I was 13, and have read it about 10 or 12 times since. Cry every single time, too.

message 6: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Kandice, Ride the Wind looks really good. Its on my TBR now.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments which ones have you read K?

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice All of them. Well, I can't be certain of Fearless. My mom has all her books, and does have that one, so I probably did, but I don't own it myself. It's the only one I don't, so I can't be sure. The covers listed here don't look familiar.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I think there are a couple others you haven't added to your read list then...

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I kind of stopped adding books to my already read list when I started keeping track in TNBBC of how many I am reading this year. There are probably hundreds I have read but not added, but if I do add them now, it kind of looks like I JUST read them. Should I do it anyway?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments sure, I would add like crazy. You have read tons and tons! That way all your friends can see what you've rated everything.

message 12: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I guess...just feels like cheating. Like maybe I need to put a note saying "read a long, long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away..." LOL

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments since you keep track at TNBBC anyway...doesn't matter in my opinion.

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Enabler...

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I just want to be super impressed with everything you've read! <3

message 17: by Pat (new)

Pat (plwebb) | 1 comments I've read some of Robson's books but my sister in law has read most of them. One that she hasn't read and wants to is Tiana. She tried ordering Tiana from Amazon market place but when she got it, it was in German and she doesn't read German!
Does anyone know where to purchase Tiana for less than $30?

message 18: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Hime (wendyhime) | 10 comments I love her writing style, but not what I would consider easy reading. Well worth the time and effort though! She has renewed my thirst for history; fact and fiction.

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I started Devilish by Lucia St. Clair Robson her knowing it was contemporary, so not her usual fare. I really don't care for it. It's a bit like the movie Magnolia, where there are all these characters narrowly missing each other in lots of threads, but you know they will meet up at the end.

I'm sad to have finally found something of hers that doesn't blow me away. :*(