The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > In 1492 Columbus Sailed The Ocean Blue...

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Can anyone suggest any key words or phrases for finding books like these? I have nothing but Moby Dick in my TBR field that would fit this and it's too many pages to read for 5 points. Thanks!

message 2: by Katie ATX (new)

Katie ATX (katieatx) I'm going to read Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway

message 4: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Sarah,

Below is what other people are reading for that task (I just copied them from the 2009 Plans topic).

Plunder of the Sun - David Dodge
Sea of Poppies - Amitav Ghosh
A Pearl In the Storm: How I Found My Heart in the Middle of the Ocean by Tori Murden Mcclure
KINGSTON BY STARLIGHT by CHRISTOPHER JOHN FARLEY
Lady Pirate By Lynsay Sands
The Princess Bride by William Golding
Moby Dick by Hermann Melville
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Love Overboard by Janet Evanovich
Billy Budd, Sailor by Herman Melville
In The Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick
The Hungry Ocean A Swordboat Captain's Journey
Patriot Pirates The Privateer War for Freedom and Fortune in the American Revolution
A Pirate Looks Fifty by Jimmy Buffett
Booty: Girl Pirates on the High Seas
Vanished at Sea: The True Story of a Child TV Actor and Double Murder by Tina Dirmann
Ellen Macarthur
Deception- John Altman

Looks like pirate, sea, ocean are all good key words. Several people are reading The Life of Pi (I'm assuming they knew by word of mouth that it was about a boy who finds himself adrift in the Pacific Ocean with a few animals).

message 5: by Leslie (last edited Aug 18, 2009 09:51PM) (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments Oh my goodness, I looked at that list of nautical novels and found a mystery book from my childhood that I thought I may have imagined, my memories of it are so bizarre.

Check out this description: "Amy, as an infant, was left on the steps of St. Anne's Home for girls with a basket containing a sailor doll and loaf of bread. Later, she changes into a doll and the doll changes into a sea captain, and they sail the pirate-ridden high seas with a crew of Mother Goose animals, in search of gold treasure."

Oh yes, I will be reading Amy's Eyes, to find out if it's as cracked out and fabulous as I remember.

message 6: by Nicki (last edited Aug 19, 2009 06:49AM) (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments I might read English Passengers A Novel - it's been vaguely on my TBR list for a while.

message 8: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 822 comments I think I'll be going with Voyage of the Dawn Treader or a Hornblower book.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Thank you!

message 10: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Star of the Sea would also work for this I think. (At least I have it tentatively selected for this task.)

message 11: by Beth (last edited Aug 19, 2009 10:27AM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments I'm plannong to read Billy Budd, Sailor by Melville because I alread own it and it is short. :)

GR says it only has 160 pages but my copy is much, much less...maybe more like 130?

I've heard it's boring but if I read it, then I can say I read it AND get rid of it--it's been sitting unread on my bookshelf for way too long, and I don't usually keep books after I've read them.

message 13: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea is also on my TBR shelf, and would work for this task.

The Perfect Storm A True Story of Men Against the Sea would also work. I haven't read that on yet either!!

message 14: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Sea of Poppies was great.

message 15: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 842 comments Krista wrote: "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea is also on my TBR shelf, and would work for this task.

The Perfect Storm A True Story of Men Against the Sea would also work. I ha..."

Oooh The Perfect Storm - I never re-read and would definitely re-read this one!

message 16: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Nicki wrote: "I might read English Passengers A Novel - it's been vaguely on my TBR list for a while."

That is what I'm going to read for this task as I bought it in a Penguin Books bundle a month or so ago.

message 17: by Katie (last edited Aug 25, 2009 09:20AM) (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments I'm thinking of using Decked by Carol Higgins Clark.

I have A Pirate Looks at Fifty on my TBR shelf, but when I read the description it sounds like it takes place more in a seaplane than on a ship. Would that still count?

message 18: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 25, 2009 09:20AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments There are SO MANY romance novels you could read, I'm sure. The one that comes to mind is An Improper Proposal by Patricia Cabot. There's also a YA romance... Catherine and the Pirate by Karen Hawkins.

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) | 228 comments I'm reading Jack Nastyface Memoirs of an English Seaman for this task, but would A Wizard of Earthsea work? Most of the story is at sea.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Anyone read Red Sea by Diane Tullson?

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would a book taking place on a cruise ship or a voyage count?

message 22: by El (new)

El If it takes places on a body of water, it works.

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan | 15 comments Master and Commander was my original plan for this task, but there are some pretty good suggestions here, I may switch.

message 24: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments Has anyone read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? According to the description the main character "sets sail for Guernsey". Does this book work for this task?

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Manday, I wouldn't think it would work ... it's only a short trip and the book is set mainly on the island of Guernsey. I think Cynthia has said the majority of the book needs to take place on the sea. It's a great book though! Try and fit it in somewhere!

message 26: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments It is my book club book for September. I am trying to fit it in but am running rapidly out of slots!

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Manday - I used it as for the 2 authors task

message 28: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Manday wrote: "Has anyone read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? According to the description the main character "sets sail for Guernsey". Does this book work for this task?"

It's really really good! Fit it in somewhere! Two authors would work great. Or the main character is a writer, if that happens to be your dream job...

message 29: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I wonder if Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters will have sea travels!?

message 30: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Tanja wrote: "I wonder if Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters will have sea travels!?"

*thinks about S&S* I'm not sure how they'd work the sea monsters in if they didn't add in any sea travel, too... ?

message 31: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Unless it's strictly focused on an island with limited sea travels. If that's the case then, I'll need to shove this novel elsewhere. Probably the ABC one.

message 32: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1040 comments I think I am going to find a book about the Titanic, or that takes place on the Titanic, and read that. I have always been a bit obsessed with the Titanic!!!

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) I hope that she hasn't been counting The Princess Bride for this task. Very little of the action in this book takes place on the ocean.

I decided to read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. It's been years since I read this book, and I loved it.

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) Liz wrote: "Sarah,

Below is what other people are reading for that task (I just copied them from the 2009 Plans topic).

Plunder of the Sun - David Dodge
Sea of Poppies - Amitav Ghosh
A Pearl In the Storm:..."

I wouldn't suggest reading "The Princess Bride" for this task. They don't really travel on the ocean for very long. I would say it only occupies a few chapters at best.

I have another suggestion to add, though:

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

The majority of this novel takes place on the ocean and it is a very enjoyable read. It is young adult, but it's well written.

message 35: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 648 comments My name is Janice, and I am new to The Seasonal Reading Challenge. I have a few suggestions for this task:

The Floating Brothel: The Extraordinary True Story of an Eighteenth-Century Ship and its Cargo of Female Convicts
by Sian Rees

Hen Frigates: Wives of Merchant Captains Under Sail
by Joan Druett