Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Book Club Nominations > September Winners: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater and A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 2: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi Category 2 - King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

I'm not sure if this is YA or Children's, but I think it'll work for either.

message 3: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) DragonEyedOnePieceFan wrote: "Category 2 - King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

I'm not sure if this is YA or Children's, but I think it'll work for either."

I looooved this book as a kid!!

I can't think of one to nominate... so will leave it up to better minds than mine!!

message 4: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I got one I got one!!

Cat 2 The Witch of Blackbird Pond Eliz. George Speare

message 5: by Misty (last edited Aug 19, 2009 11:09AM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I nominate Thirteenth Child by Patricia Wrede for Cat 2!

It's a kind of sci-fi/historical combo. Pretty neat.

"Eff was born a thirteenth child. Her twin brother, Lan, is the seventh son of a seventh son. This means he's supposed to possess amazing talent -- and she's supposed to bring only bad things to her family and her town. Undeterred, her family moves to the frontier, where her father will be a professor of magic at a school perilously close to the magical divide that separates settlers from the beasts of the wild.

With wit and wonder, Patricia Wrede creates an alternate history of westward expansion that will delight fans of both J. K. Rowling and Laura Ingalls Wilder."

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

message 7: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) Cat 1 - The Giver by Lois Lowry

message 9: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 126 comments Cat 2: Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

message 10: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 274 comments cat 1: Aurelia by Anne Osterlund

(Although I am not sure if this is historical or not. If so, it should be in Category 2).

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica category 2: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica sorry- thanks, i'll have to check that out

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo Category 1: Paper Towns

message 14: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments Category 2 - Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers

Here's the blurb:

A coming of age tale for young adults set in the trenches of the Vietnam War in the late 1960s, Fallen Angels is the story of Perry, a Harlem teenager who volunteers for the service when his dream of attending college falls through. Sent to the front lines, Perry and his platoon come face-to-face with the Vietcong and the real horror of warfare. But violence and death aren't the only hardships. As Perry struggles to find virtue in himself and his comrades, he questions why black troops are given the most dangerous assignments, and why the U.S. is there at all. Fallen Angels won the 1989 Coretta Scott King Award.

message 15: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Oops. Coulda swore I did. It's in there now, as well as a little info...

message 16: by Krys (last edited Aug 19, 2009 12:05PM) (new)

Krys (incognerdo) | 7 comments For Cat 2:
Number the Stars by Lowis Lowry

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Nolan Category 1: Midnight Veil by Rebecca Nolan.
Here is an interesting coming of age story that takes place in Newport RI. Most people think of mansions and glamour of Newport but Midnight Veil takes you on the other more common side of this historical little city.
Reba is pregnant, poor, uneducated, alone, and unsure of what to do. She is sober for the first time in a long time. Her mind wanders off taking us on her flashbacks and life lessons.
Get the inside scoop of one average young woman's perception of relationships, trust, strength and beauty throughout all the dysfunctional drama that goes along with sex, love, booze and insecurities!

message 19: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Here, here!

message 20: by Beth (last edited Aug 19, 2009 01:30PM) (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments Are you kidding me?

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Nolan I feel like I am already getting ousted here. I wasn't trying to be sneaky or get away with anything. I read the rules and there were no rules about nominating your own book. I was in the process of trying to figure out how to start an introduction without replying to someone else's. I thought you said this was a friendly group? Good gracious I apologize!

message 22: by Julia Trotter (new)

Julia Trotter Category 1: My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison

Category 2: The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant

message 23: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments We have had lurkers before who start randomly pitching their book in every thread. So we may be a little sensitive to the issue... If you're serious about the group, then don't run away, Rebecca. Welcome!

message 24: by Luann (new)

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments I'm sorry too, Rebecca, but like Misty and Fiona said, we've had a lot of postings from people who only want to pitch their books and have no interest in being a part of the group. We really are a nice group of people!

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Nolan To be honest I actually like the fact that you guys really seem to be keeping up with this discussion here. On a lot of other sites it's hard to connect with anyone because there are so many people and most don't probably have the time or whatever the reason, but they don't keep up with discussions. And reading earlier posts here it seems you are a friendly group to one another. I think that's cool.

message 27: by Kandice (last edited Aug 19, 2009 07:04PM) (new)

Kandice Thanks, Rebecca. We DO feel close to one another:)

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan | 12 comments Heather wrote: "category one: Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones"

I second this nomination!

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan | 12 comments Fiona wrote: "I forgot to add the nominations will be ending on the 22nd.

My nomination is: Cat. 2: The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley Holland #1 in the Arthur trilogy."

I second this nomination.

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Susan you can only nominate one, and they will include ALL nominations, seconded or not:D

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) nothing wrong with being enthusiastic though ;)

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan | 12 comments Oh, I thought that since they were for different categories it would be okay. I guess I need to go reread the rules instead of speed read the rules ;)

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) You can second or promote anything you want to, but she's saying that it's not necessary for it to be seconded to get in the poll. :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) right!

I often second, third...even TENTH my own nominations ;) LOL.

message 35: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Your own nominations? Like:
"I agree with Allison, we should read ___"
"Good call, Allison. Excellent taste."

Hmm...

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Allison always agrees with herself when she recommends The Name of the Wind. :D

JG (Introverted Reader) Does Allison ever disagree with herself? Then she might have a problem. :-)

For Category 1, I nominate Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. I just bought it and it needs to be read.

message 38: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty JG wrote: "Does Allison ever disagree with herself? Then she might have a problem. :-)

For Category 1, I nominate Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. I just bought it and it need..."

Mmmm.. that's on my TBR list :D

message 39: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty JG wrote: "Does Allison ever disagree with herself? Then she might have a problem. :-)

For Category 1, I nominate Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. I just bought it and it need..."

Mmmm.. that's on my TBR list :D

message 40: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 20, 2009 06:06AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I LOVED Poison Study. A lot. I think I even said something about running through the streets naked yelling at people to read it in my review...

I hope it doesn't come to that. :P

message 42: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I think that this book is historical fiction.. A Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. I've always wanted to read that one.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) hmm Andrea, I don't think that would be considered YA.

message 44: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I know it is at my library, but i can see how it's not also.

message 45: by Veronica (new)

Veronica category 1: Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand
recommended translation: Lowell Bair

message 46: by Veronica (new)

Veronica I second The Giver and The Witch of Blackbird Pond

message 47: by Veronica (new)

Veronica I apologize- You're right, i probably wouldn't put it in the YA category, now that i think about it. I just thought about how much I enjoyed it, and got ahead of myself.

message 48: by St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures (last edited Aug 20, 2009 05:41PM) (new)

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| Hi I would like to recommend Kay Kennon's "The Seeds of Time" under Science Fiction Category 1

message 49: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi I already recommended one, but I want to know: Would you consider Water for Elephants as a YA? I got it from the adult section at my library, but I could see it as either.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| And for Category 2 I would like to recommend "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott

« previous 1 3 4