Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Entire series removed?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.D. (new)

L.D. Lewis (elledeelewis) | 4 comments Why have all the listings for FIYAH been removed?
https://www.goodreads.com/series/2237...

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 7125 comments That link doesn't lead anywhere, so it's hard to see what you are talking about.

A reason a series could be deleted is that it doesn't meet GR definition of a series, i.e. shared characters or setting.

message 3: by L.D. (new)

L.D. Lewis (elledeelewis) | 4 comments Scott wrote: "That link doesn't lead anywhere, so it's hard to see what you are talking about.

A reason a series could be deleted is that it doesn't meet GR definition of a series, i.e. shared characters or set..."

It's a literary magazine. Issues have been uploaded/present for the last two years with no problem. Other lit mags are still up. A reader brought it to our (FIYAH) attention so we're trying to see if it's permanent or something that needs to be resolved.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 5363 comments A literary magazine is not a series by GR standards, and could be a listopia instead. That said, I know there are other literary magazines that have been set up as series. They were improperly set up. Some of them have hundreds of issues. Converting them would take a cooperative effort, because no member can add more than 100 books to a listopia. Sometimes things get left because no one wants to work on them, or because the task is too daunting. Librarians are volunteers.

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian White (FiresideFiction) | 6 comments Why, if it is too daunting to remove magazines, did someone feel the need to go to the extra effort to delete Fiyah, the only all-black speculative fiction magazine on here.

message 6: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 18, 2018 02:01PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 5363 comments Were the magazines removed or only the series? Was a listopia created? I don't know the circumstances and there are literally thousands of librarians.

EDIT: And I note your Fireside Magazine remains a series.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian White (FiresideFiction) | 6 comments All of their magazines were removed. And I don’t mean to point a finger at you Elizabeth I know it’s a decentralized system. It just seems off to me that if policing magazines is so hard, that someone went to the trouble of targeting a black-centered publication.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 5363 comments Are you suggesting there is something racist going on? Because that is a vile suggestion and not to be borne. Some publications are not books on GR and should not be added.

Periodicals such as newspapers, magazines, and comics are not books.

There are exceptions to this, but the publication generally have to have an ISBN/ASIN to be considered such.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian White (FiresideFiction) | 6 comments I understand the rule. Which is exactly why I am asking why the black magazine was targeted. So yes I am suggesting something racist could be going one here.

message 10: by lethe (last edited Sep 18, 2018 02:39PM) (new)

lethe | 12003 comments Brian wrote: "I understand the rule. Which is exactly why I am asking why the black magazine was targeted. So yes I am suggesting something racist could be going one here."

That is preposterous.

ETA I checked the FIYAH website and the issues do not appear to have ISBNs, in which case they were correctly deleted, just like other magazines without ISBNs are deleted when librarians come across them.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Sep 18, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

rivka | 36347 comments Mod
It is doubtful a particular magazine was targeted for any nefarious reasons. Regardless, if it did not meet Goodreads standards for inclusion, deleting it was the correct action.

There have also been complaints when short stories from the New Yorker have been removed, but no one was being targeted there either.

Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.