UK Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
Is anyone a member of an offline book club? Such as one at their local library?

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments No wish I could find one though! I run a cross stitch and needlecraft group here in Gillingham, Dorset and have done for the past 13 or 14 years. Maybe I should start a book club too!

message 3: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Ooh, that's impressive! Starting a book club might not be a bad idea! Your local library might help you out.

I was researching my local libraries earlier and found that Portsmouth Central library has a book club that meets up once a month so was wondering whether anyone had any experiences of a book club! I had a look at the reading list, and there were two books on there that I'd read, one was really good and one I gave up on because I got bored, so I'm not really 100% sure I want to join, but I guess I can't lose anything by going once!

message 4: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3398 comments Mod
I've wanted to join a bookclub for years but held back thinking I might be intimidated by a room full of Eng Lit graduates!

Moving to Singapore, I joined a mum & toddler group and found out they also held a monthly bookclub, so I joined. It's fantastic (and mercifully child-free). Women from all over the world, arguing over a book, gossiping and enjoying more than a little red wine. Wish I'd been braver sooner!

If I can't find a good one when I return to the UK, I will definitely start my own!

message 5: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

That's a good point... Being a university city it's quite possible that there are lots of english graduates there! Hopefully they're fed up of books by the time they've finished their degree that they don't want to join a book club :P

message 6: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) Hello,

does anyone know of a book club near Guildford (Surrey)?, I had a look in google and only found a couple of them, but haven't answer back to me...

Liz: I've never been in a book club before, and I also think like you, specially because I'm Spanish and English is not my first language, but then I thought "if I don't try, I'll never know"... and I really want new friends I can talk about books with!!!!!!!

message 7: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Nov 23, 2009 03:47AM) (new)

Liz | 3398 comments Mod
Deni wrote: "Hello,

does anyone know of a book club near Guildford (Surrey)?, I had a look in google and only found a couple of them, but haven't answer back to me...

Liz: I've never been in a book club befo..."

Absolutely! I find we start talking about the book and then the conversation goes off in all sorts of directions. It's always a good night; we laugh alot and the red wine flows...

message 8: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I live near Guildford Surrey at times but don't know of any book clubs I'm afraid! You could probably ask at your nearest library, they might know where one is?

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 50 comments I've always been a bit scared of joining a real life book club. I guess I always imagine them as being mostly mums or older ladies reading chick lit or romance stories. I don't think I'd fit in very well.

message 10: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah same here! I'm also not sure I like the idea of discussing it out loud. Online you have time to write your answer and then change it if you want to!

message 11: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I think that if the group was too big it would feel more like an English lesson rather than a voluntary book club!

message 12: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Haha, wine is a good reason to join a proper book club!

message 13: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Hi Lynne
If you start a book club I'm be you first member once We have moved back to england hehe! But I will have a long way to travel from Lowestoft to dorset mm LOL.
chat soon

message 14: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Yes, I'm a member of a book club that takes place in my local Waterstones in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. I've been going for a few months now (the first meeting I attended was September), and I'm really enjoying it. It's really opened my eyes to different genres and authors that I wouldn't have otherwise read.

message 15: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Kathryn wrote: "I've always been a bit scared of joining a real life book club. I guess I always imagine them as being mostly mums or older ladies reading chick lit or romance stories. I don't think I'd fit in ver..."

I'm only 18 (19 in 2 weeks, wheey), and I'm the youngest in my group by over 30 years! It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference :)

message 16: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Dani wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I've always been a bit scared of joining a real life book club. I guess I always imagine them as being mostly mums or older ladies reading chick lit or romance stories. I don't thin..."

Hi Dani
I feel the same as you about joining book clubs. But I think what is realy putting me off the most is that I am Dyslexic so reading can be quite difficult at time. I understand the books that I read and I really enjoy reading them. I get imbarest though when people me about the story after I have finished it because I find it hard to tell them about it. That is one thing good about being online though no one can see me I can hind behind my laptop hehe. However I did have a good at wsriting a review on the book that i have just read The Maze of Cadiz by Aly Monroe.

your bookwarm friend nick

message 17: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Nick wrote: "Dani wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I've always been a bit scared of joining a real life book club. I guess I always imagine them as being mostly mums or older ladies reading chick lit or romance stories...."

Hi Nick :)
I wouldn't feel embarrassed at all about joining a book club. Sometimes I find it difficult to talk about the books too. All we really talk about in the club is the bits we enjoyed the most. We sometimes talk about characters etc but it's nothing that's too in-depth, so I'm sure you would be absolutely fine! As I said, I'm the youngest in my group by over 30 years, and sometimes that does put me at a disadvantage as I don't have as much understanding or experience with certain topics, but I learn a lot from the other people in the group. It's a really good experience.
You could always try going to a group and if you don't feel comfortable, just stop going - I'm sure you'd enjoy it though!

I read your review and I really liked it :) I may even put to book on my to-read list from your review!

Dani x

message 18: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Dani wrote: "I'm only 18 (19 in 2 weeks, wheey)"

Exactly a year younger than me! :) I was a bit unsure of joining a book club as it felt I was getting weird enough looks just by signing up to my library!

message 19: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Lol zoe Once i get back home to england going to try and join the library if I can the only thing is I had still got load of my own books to read as it is. Yesterday I started to box some up ready for when we move back home which I hope will be soon.

message 20: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Zoe wrote: "Dani wrote: "I'm only 18 (19 in 2 weeks, wheey)"

Exactly a year younger than me! :) I was a bit unsure of joining a book club as it felt I was getting weird enough looks just by signing up to my l..."

I really wouldn't worry. The first session I went to felt a little odd, but only because I didn't really know anyone there. I get on really well there and do feel as though I'm a valued part of the group. It's always worth a try, I say!!

message 21: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I may have a look into it after exams then :)

message 22: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Zoe wrote: "I may have a look into it after exams then :) "

I would, it's really great fun and I've read some fantastic books that I wouldn't have otherwise read!

message 23: by Sean (new)

Sean Perry (perrydigital) I'd love to find a book club in Liverpool but a google search gives me liverpoolbookclub.com - a book club that meets in one of my favourite pubs! Except it's all about the lesbian books.

0_o

message 24: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Haha, that is a little strange!

message 25: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) I found a book club in Guildford, it's called "The after work book club" and it meets once a month in The Stoke pub. Next meeting will be Tuesday 9th of February (next Tuesday!) at 6.30 pm.

I'm thinking of giving it a go... if any of you are around Guildford come as well!!

message 26: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Oooh I like The Stoke! Lots goes on there :)

message 27: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments A few years back I went to a book group at Borders in Bristol and I was really nervous about it - but it was worth while and great to meet people who love reading - got great recommendations and gained alot from it. I was disappointed when I couldn't go anymore but since then me and some friends (and friends of friends) have started our own small group. We've been meeting every month for 2 and half years and take in turns to host and cook. It's got to be said, we love chatting about the book but we're largely about the food!!

message 28: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

That sounds like really good fun! None of my friends really like reading :(

message 29: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments There used to be one run by Borders in stockport but obviously disbanded with the closure of the store. There is a bookclub in my neighbouring village but when I looked at it I found it to be a church book group reading the bible, Whilst I respect other peoples beleifs I was frowned upon when I said I was wiccan.
I would have loved to continue the borders group, we met weekly and paid £2 and that covered refreshements and made sure we all could get the next book too.

message 30: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments That's a shame about your Borders book group and I'm just guessing that Bible reading wasn't what you had in mind? Maybe you could set up your own instead.

message 31: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments I'll speak to the council about it, I'm currently campaigning for youth groups and toddler groups in the area to be more accessable (ie when people can actually attend them)

message 32: by Lea (new)

Lea | 18 comments Kimberley wrote: "There used to be one run by Borders in stockport but obviously disbanded with the closure of the store. There is a bookclub in my neighbouring village but when I looked at it I found it to be a chu..."

Do you leave in the Stockport area?

message 33: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments I don't live in Stockport (live near Buxton) but I do work in Stockport Lea, do you?

message 34: by Lea (new)

Lea | 18 comments I leavein Stockport and like waterstone's there. Great store.

message 35: by Lea (new)

Lea | 18 comments I leavein Stockport and like waterstone's there. Great store.

message 36: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments Only thing I found about watersones is that they don't have a lift so if I have my son with me I can only see what is downstairs. Same as WH Smiths, where else do you go?

message 37: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Here in Bristol I used to have a nightmare getting into certain shops - have twins so double pushchair meant I couldn't handle stairs or narrow doorways. That's why I loved Borders I could get in, they had a lift and a cafe to stop and feed the babes. I'm ok now, girls are 5 now but it's definately a consideration when they're small.

message 38: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Em wrote: "Here in Bristol I used to have a nightmare getting into certain shops - have twins so double pushchair meant I couldn't handle stairs or narrow doorways. That's why I loved Borders I could get in, ..."

em I know how you feel as I have to use a wheelchair as it is easy for me to get nocked over. Some places I cant get to, book shops is hard to get round but the people who work is the shops have all ways been help ful. I think its my charm and my blue eyes hehe!

message 39: by Lea (new)

Lea | 18 comments Kimberley wrote: "Only thing I found about watersones is that they don't have a lift so if I have my son with me I can only see what is downstairs. Same as WH Smiths, where else do you go?"

If there isn't a lift it should be an escalator. Most Waterstone's do have one.

message 40: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 50 comments That is terrible that they don't have lifts! My local Waterstones and WHSmiths both have lifts. Although, we have 2 Waterstones and think it's only the one that has a lift.
You would think they would want to cater for everyone.

message 41: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 50 comments Yeah one of my Waterstones used to be Ottakers too. It was so much nicer then. They used to have a seating area where you sit and read. As soon as Waterstones took over they got rid of that.

message 42: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments The Waterstone's in Cardiff does actually have seating areas where people can have a sit and a bit of read including a number of comfy armchairs up on the second floor (to which there is also a lift). It's the same in the Waterstone's in Newport, which was an Ottakar's originally. And I have to say I've had many a long book discussion with the Waterstone's staff. Maybe it all depends where you are, although the one in Northampton had seating and good staff too...I don't know...

message 43: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Mar 19, 2010 02:03AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments My local Waterstones in Yeovil are great, there is one particular assistant who is very knowledgeable and we have many a discussion when he is not so busy! I tend to go just to have a chat with him!

He was very good when I needed to purchase a good Dictionary and Thesaurus for my course and sold me £60 worth! I would never have dreamt to spend so much but I am so glad I did as they have been a godsend!

Sadly, it is only a small store and no seating area but I have some good disscusions in Starbucks, just up the road!

message 44: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments I miss borders, I could spend a full day in there (but I would spend too), the staff were always helpfull and commited to their jobs (I remember when they were busy and my son was upset at being stuck in the cue so one shop floor girl walk round the store with him in his buggy to calm him while I paid for my books, couldn't ask for more than that.
The stockport Waterstones is only little so I think they would loose too much space with a lift, WH Smiths although it has no lift you can get to the upstairs if you go to the carpark lift and walk down, is just a pain really. Manchest one is bigger but is always too busy for me.

I think we should campaign to bring borders back.

message 45: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Our local library operates a book club, however the reading material is limited to the number of books available to lend ie there have to be enough for each member of the club to have a copy. I used to find that whilst the reading material was ok, the members would end up relating the book to their own lifetime experiences and the convo would go off on a tangent....suggest to revert back to the book at your peril.... so I ended up leaving. I think it would be a nice idea for this group to have a group read much in the way that many other groups do, perhapes our mod could PM a few members for a book suggestion, as wider varity of genres as possible and then a selection could be compiled to put out to a vote? they would need to be books we could borrow from a library as no one wants to go to too much expense. then once everyone has the books allow a month for it to be read and discussed on a thread. Just an idea.

message 46: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I'd love that Adrienne, great idea!

message 47: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Thanks Em, I'll try to organize something in a few weeks as we're a ittle busy here at the moment. Get your thinking hat on for some book suggestions:) If I forget to ste up a thread remind me!!! I wont be offended.

message 48: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Aug 02, 2010 07:30PM) (new)

Liz | 3398 comments Mod
Adrienne, Yes, we started off chosing a monthly read by/for everyone. Zoe, our creator/moderator organised it, but I think she must be rather busy at the moment as we haven't heard from her for a while. Are you still out there Zoe????? How are you doing?

I'd definitely be up for it... Do we need the moderator to set up a poll?

message 49: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3398 comments Mod
Just looked - anyone can set up a poll...
Can I propose that we start with suggestions for a book for September, allowing time for those interested to reserve a copy at the library or whatever?

We could either keep the choice for suggestions wide open or choose a specific genre or subject each month. Then perhaps shortlist 6 books to poll.

Any thoughts?

message 50: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I think it would be great to get organised on this, I'm inclined to say keep it open but I'm easily persuaded so be interested to know who other people think! Perhaps we could have a thread to nominate and then set up a poll once we have six suggestions...

« previous 1 3