Anne Rice lovers! discussion

Other works > The OTHER books by Anne Rice

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie T.G. (crochetmom65) | 12 comments Hi. While I have enjoyed reading of the vampires and witches, I have to say a few of my guilty pleasures are the Beauty books, Belinda and Feast of All Saints. I would really love to know what brought on these books written under A.N. Roquelaure. [image error]

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Sorrentino (sorrentinoj) | 5 comments I absolutely LOVE the beauty books. I must say at first it shocked me but wow they were amazing! I lvoe her writing.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 16 comments I enjoyed Exit to Eden, but I HATED a Cry to HEaven

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie T.G. (crochetmom65) | 12 comments I didn't care for Cry to Heaven, either. I tried reading that several times and could not get into it.

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie T.G. (crochetmom65) | 12 comments Jennifer (JSweetieXO) wrote: "I absolutely LOVE the beauty books. I must say at first it shocked me but wow they were amazing! I lvoe her writing. "

I was suprised by these books and at first, I was ashamed that they made me think outside the box when it came to D/s or however it's to be categorized. While I could not see myself doing anything like that, I found myself becoming aroused by it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

for people that loves anne rice all sure do hate her books

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

i am reading the vampire armand by anne rice

message 8: by Jena (new)

Jena (bibliofilth) The Mummy is pretty good too.

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 16 comments I LOVE the Mummy - it is my favorite of her books

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina J (Pearlsgirl1919) | 7 comments The Mummy was great, I could not put it down.

message 11: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 21 comments Valerie wrote: "Jennifer (JSweetieXO) wrote: "I absolutely LOVE the beauty books. I must say at first it shocked me but wow they were amazing! I lvoe her writing. "

I was suprised by these books and at first, I..."

They are challenging superb reading

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Champagne | 9 comments The Beauty books are great. And just like all of you, some of my favorites by Anne Rice exclude the chronicles. The Mummy and Servant of the bones are both beautifully written pieces. Cry to Heaven and Christ the Lord, I must also agree are... difficult.

message 13: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 21 comments The sexual imagination at play in the Beauty series is extrordinary

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Jerwood | 2 comments I love "Servant of the Bones".
Cry to Heaven.. yup couldnt get into that, or Violin.

Vampire Chronicles more or less love them all. Midway books like Memnoch not so much, but the Quinn books seemed to make up for it - plus they crossed over with the Mayfair series which was great!

Have read all the Beauty books. Not one I pick up very often but very well written.

As for her new books. I tried with "Christ The Lord" but put it down - no way could I force myself to read more than a few pages. Seemed very preachy.

message 15: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 21 comments Cry to Heaven is okay but does not reach the heights of the Beauty series

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina J (Pearlsgirl1919) | 7 comments I loved the Vampire Chronicles and the Mayfair series as well. They are all so wonderfully layered. I had a hard time with Cry to Heaven and I have never finished The Feast of all Saints, and I've had the book for years. I'm looking forward to what comes next.

message 17: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 21 comments The subject matter of Cry to Heaven is slightly odd. with Beauty it is a very full on erotic fantasia

message 18: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Champagne | 9 comments So, perhaps we can all come to a conclusion as to WHY so many of us seem to have such a hard time reading Christ the Lord and the others.
Is it just me, or did it almost seem out of Anne Rice's style? I didn't start to "feel" the immdiate passion I've felt for her other works. Does anyone else agree or have a different reason why?

message 19: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 6 comments @Tina: I just tried to read Feast of All Saints. Got about halfway through it and couldn't go any further. I really tried. I love the beautiful world of the gens de colour that she creates and the characters are magnificent. I just have a hard time with books that are all characters and conversation and nothing else really pushing the book along.

Thank you to everyone for not recommending Cry to Heaven. That was gonna be my next library pick up.

Does anyone recommend any of the Songs of Seraphim books or Exit to Eden?
Besides her Life of Christ trilogy, Cry to Heaven and Violin those are the only ones I have yet to read.

message 20: by Nich (new)

Nich | 1 comments Well i read the 2 books of the songs of the seraphs and loved i think the the lead caracter toby was realy passionate you can't totaly compare him to lestat but they have some feelings in common but with a human touch. but what i still can't stand are the damn cliff hangers i mean god knows when the next book will come, probabry this year but rs but still a long road.
anyway i recomend the books, they're kinda hard to abandom
the other books i hant read yet.

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina J (Pearlsgirl1919) | 7 comments Jenn: I know How you feel. I got about halfway as well and tried two more times, still couldn't finish. The movie is pretty good. I enjoyed Exit to Eden, hated the movie. Rosie O'Donnell and Dan Aykroyd are in it, just stupid. Did you enjoy the Witching Hour?

message 22: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 21 comments I loved Exit to Eden but glad I never saw the film now.

message 23: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 6 comments @Tina: I didn't know there was a Feast of All Saints movie. I will definitely pick that up when I get the chance. Thanks!

I really enjoyed the Witching Hour when I read it for the second time a few months ago. The first time I read it, I didn't enjoy it as much. Kinda goes to show how our tastes change over time. I really really loved the Taltos!

Thank you for the Exit to Eden recommendation! Whats your favorite Anne Rice book?

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina J (Pearlsgirl1919) | 7 comments Jenn: I have to admit it's hard to pick just one. The Witching Hour and Queen of the Damned are right at the top for me. I read the first 3 Vampire books so long ago I would love to reread them some day, as well as The Witching Hour. I enjoyed The Mummy so much I read it in one day. I didn't enjoy Cry to Heaven or Violin, but at least I finished them. Oh, Blackwood Farm was really good too. How about you?

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina | 7 comments I really liked Blackwood Farm.

message 26: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 6 comments @Tina: Blackwood Farm was definitely a kick butt book!! Anne Rice did a great job on tying everything together and ending it all.
My absolute favorite is Blood and Gold. IMHO it's the only book I've ever read that reads like a symphony, a beautiful work of art and a novel all in one. Blows my mind every time I read it!
I also enjoyed Taltos and Memnoch the Devil (I loved Lestat's conclusion on God and the Devil).
Do you have any other authors that you really like that you would recommend?

message 27: by Tina (new)

Tina | 7 comments I'm a huge Alice Hoffman and Joyce Carol Oates fan.

message 28: by Tina (new)

Tina J (Pearlsgirl1919) | 7 comments Hi, Jenn: I am so glad we've had the chance to chat about Anne Rice's books. You have inspired me to reread them. Thank you! I don't remember Blood and Gold, maybe I'll start there. I enjoyed Taltos very much, Memnoch not so much.
Jeanne Kalogridis has three good reads. Lord of the Vampires, Children of the Vampires, and Covenant With the Vampire. Just for fun try reading Vampyres of Hollywood by Adrienne Barbeau and Michael Scott. If you like history Daughter of York by Anne Easter Smith. I'm looking forward to reading another book by her. What do you recommend and what are you reading now?

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina J (Pearlsgirl1919) | 7 comments Courtney: I have only read Christ the Lord Out of Egypt. IMHO we didn't "feel" the passion because it wasn't there. The characters and story lines in the other books were so well developed, layered and rich, they came to life right on the page. Christ the Lord was just a nice little novel.

message 30: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 6 comments Hey Tina: I've never read any of the authors you've recommended but I love trying out new authors! I will definitely look into the those three. Thanks! I love recommendations! Helps me get outside my reading box.
I actually just finished The Mummy and loved it! Classic Anne Rice. Before that, I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy by Stieg Larsson and recommend it to everyone! There's a reason these are the most internationally read books right now. You just gotta get past the first 150 pages of the first book and they are phenomenal!!
I loved them so much I am currently reading Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason on recommendation from someone on a group discussion for the trilogy here on Goodread's.
What are you reading right now?

message 31: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Champagne | 9 comments Tina wrote: "Courtney: I have only read Christ the Lord Out of Egypt. IMHO we didn't "feel" the passion because it wasn't there. The characters and story lines in the other books were so well developed, laye..."
Well I suppose we don't read Anne Rice because she writes "nice little novels" do we? lol Tina, thank you as well for the recommendations. I'm having trouble getting out of my comfort zone of reading as well- so much literature out there seems so shallow to me compared to all of the works we've been talking about here on goodreads! I'm glad to hear that the Girl With the Dragon Tattoos series are good because I've been thinking about picking those up.
Thanks everyone! :)

message 32: by Tina (new)

Tina J (Pearlsgirl1919) | 7 comments Hi Jenn: Thanks for your recommendations. I get in the book store or library and like a kid in a candy store I don't know which way to turn first. I just finished The Last Days Of The Romanovs, took me forever. Now I'm reading Nora Roberts' Irish Born, fun. I have The Templars by Michael Haag and Dan Brown's Lost Symbol waiting in the wings. Have you read Bram Stoker's Dracula?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to say, I adored Cry to Heaven. The amount of detailed research into the lives of the 18th Castrati, and Venician partricaty is unrivalled by any other author or historian. Even the medical research she went through was invaluable to the imagery of the novel.

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan Rutherford-Estes | 1 comments I loved The Mummy and the Witch Series in addition to her Vampite novels. I recently finished The Wolf Gift. I have mixed feelings on that book.

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Molloy (lesliemolloyphx) | 4 comments I haven't read the Beauty series, but I'm interested in them. My favorite "other" book, I think would have to be Servant of the Bones. I love that book!

message 37: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 21 comments They are a must read for the open minded

message 38: by Valerie (new)

Valerie T.G. (crochetmom65) | 12 comments I really enjoyed the Beauty series. At the time I was reading them, I was curious about "The Lifestyle" of D/s and s&m. I remember bringing the book on the bus with me and blushing at what I was reading. Not sure how it would affect me now. I'm debating on whether or not to read the Shades books. She also wrote Belinda which might be for the open minded, also.

message 39: by Tina (new)

Tina | 7 comments Valerie wrote: "I really enjoyed the Beauty series. At the time I was reading them, I was curious about "The Lifestyle" of D/s and s&m. I remember bringing the book on the bus with me and blushing at what I was ..."

IMO, having read both the Beauty series and *gags* the Shades series, you will be disappointed with Shades. It's poorly written. It's NOTHING like the Beauty series at all.

message 40: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 21 comments Thats brave reading that on the bus!

message 41: by Valerie (new)

Valerie T.G. (crochetmom65) | 12 comments Nigel wrote: "Thats brave reading that on the bus!"
When I started it, I had no idea of what I was going to be reading. I'm glad I did read them. I think after the people heard me saying 'OMG' a few times, they just ignored me.

message 42: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 21 comments They dont know what they missed

message 43: by Valerie (new)

Valerie T.G. (crochetmom65) | 12 comments Nigel wrote: "They dont know what they missed"
No they didn't know ;-)

message 44: by Valerie (new)

Valerie T.G. (crochetmom65) | 12 comments Tina wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I really enjoyed the Beauty series. At the time I was reading them, I was curious about "The Lifestyle" of D/s and s&m. I remember bringing the book on the bus with me and blushin..." I won't waste my time, then. Thank you.

message 45: by Gini (new)

Gini (chickenhawk) I wish Anne would write a book on the Talamasca. Their history and secrets. It would be so cool and could tie into other books easily.

message 46: by Gini (new)

Gini (chickenhawk) My favorites of Annes are Queen of the Damned (love the history of it), Witching Hour/Lasher/Taltos and Blood and Gold.

I finished but did not like Cry to Heaven, Violin, Feast of All Saints. Just could not connect with those books.

I'm wondering what you guys think of The Wolf Gift? Is it more Anne Rice style or the trilogy style?

message 47: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Molloy (lesliemolloyphx) | 4 comments I haven't read Blood and Gold, I don't think. But I agree that I love the history in Queen of the Damned - that was something I loved about Servant of the Bones - the whole ancient Babylon aspect was so fascinating.

Another favorite was Memnoch the Devil - loved that book. I need to re-read all those.

message 48: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 21 comments The problem with Cry to heaven is it never really goes anywhere. The Beauty series are an adventure that takes the characters on a wild wild adventure

message 49: by Valerie (new)

Valerie T.G. (crochetmom65) | 12 comments Gini wrote: "My favorites of Annes are Queen of the Damned (love the history of it), Witching Hour/Lasher/Taltos and Blood and Gold.

I finished but did not like Cry to Heaven, Violin, Feast of All Saints. J..."

I'm reading The Wolf Gift right now and I have to say, I'm really liking this book. It is a different take on the whole werewolf legends we've all read in books or seen in movies. Once I finish, I'll post what I fully think of it.

message 50: by Gini (new)

Gini (chickenhawk) I read the Beauty series years ago and enjoyed them, although they aren't for the faint at heart. LOL

I haven't read the more religious books, Christ the Lord, etc. think I will just skip those.

I am now trying to get all my fav books on my kindle, so eventually I'll reread her books and enjoy them all over again.

« previous 1