Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

New Librarian here

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Hello, I just got made a librarian a few days ago. Any tips? So far I've edited a few things.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Hi iluvcatz,

Welcome and thanks for helping.

If you haven't done so already, definitely read the librarian manual:

http://www.goodreads.com/help/librarian

I'd start off with what you notice needs editing: incorrect page number listed for a book you have a hand, book editions that need combining, etc. It depends on your interests. If you play the quiz, you might want to work on that.

There are many different ways librarians can help.

message 3: by Katie (last edited Aug 18, 2009 09:53AM) (new)

Katie Thank-you. I've read the librarian manual.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Hi I'm new here! I was going to ask what to do first but I see I should read the librarian manual, so I'll do that and check back

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Amanda, Yes reading the librarian manual is the perfect first step. Then, feel free to come back to this group any time with questions and you'll find plenty of other librarians eager to help.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) | 20 comments I just applied for Librarian. Is there a waiting period? A background check? :-) I did it because the edition I'm reading of a book is the original 1950, not the 1977 reprint and I want to combine them.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Stephen, If you post them, another library can do that while you wait for your confirmation that you're a Goodreads librarian.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42494 comments Mod
Stephen wrote: "I just applied for Librarian. Is there a waiting period?"

Usually less than 24 hours.

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) | 20 comments And thank you, Lisa.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Already found them on your profile and combined. You know you have both listed as currently reading, right?

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Thanks Stephen, and thank you Rivka.

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) | 20 comments I know, I was confused then lol.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi I'm another new Librarian. :)
I've read the manual completely twice. Now do I just start changing bits when I spot it or is there anything that I need to do specifically?
Thanks. :)

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Pretty much. Don't be afraid to ask questions, or ask for assistance. That's how we all learned!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

rivka wrote: "Pretty much. Don't be afraid to ask questions, or ask for assistance. That's how we all learned!"

Ok thank you my love I will do. :)

message 17: by Trice (new)

Trice | 14 comments small(ish) detail, but is there any way to set the year of an author's birth without having to set the month and day? Seems to be all or nothing, but I may be missing something.

Olivia ^^The Awesome Mushroom^^ (canttaketheawesomeness) | 3 comments Hi guys,

I'm a new librarian too (Hii!! :]) and when I recently went into the writing section, a lot of so-called "stories" were advertising to purchase drugs and other, rather vulgar, things. Is there any way I can stop this, or delete these stories? I'm still not too acquainted with being a librarian... :D Thanks!

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hi Olivia,
Those are already being reported here but if you see more, add to the list. :)

Olivia ^^The Awesome Mushroom^^ (canttaketheawesomeness) | 3 comments Okay, thanks!

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Trice - It is not possible to only set a DOB year on a author at the moment

message 22: by Martin Lamb (new)

Martin Lamb | 11 comments Hello everyone! I am a new librarian. I have already read the Librarian Manual. Any tips or pieces of advice?

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Hi Martin

I found it helpful when I stared to read through some of the threads, there is a lot of info in them not in the librarian manual.

If your looking for work, check out the sisyphus list. Lists "fake" authors and we need to research the real ones.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

Lastly - feel free to ask questions if your not sure, there is generally some one lurking around who can help

Paula

message 24: by Martin Lamb (new)

Martin Lamb | 11 comments Ok thanks!

message 25: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Welcome! :)

message 26: by Martin Lamb (new)

Martin Lamb | 11 comments Hello!

message 27: by Meitha (new)

Meitha | 1 comments Hi, I'm new here.
I'm a librarian of law in Bandung, Indonesia.
It's been 6 years, but I still learn how to be a better one.
I've read the librarian manual, and need some advices to be a better librarian.
Is there any advices..?
Thank you.

message 28: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Hi Meitha

Have you requested to become a Librarian on Goodreads, your profile does not say that you are a GR Librarian. The majority of the people in this group are not "real" librarians we just help keep the entries on GR clean.

If you are going to be a GR librarian, then

I found it helpful when I stared to read through some of the threads, there is a lot of info in them not in the librarian manual.

If your looking for work, check out the sisyphus list. Lists "fake" authors and we need to research the real ones.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2066...

Lastly - feel free to ask questions if your not sure, there is generally some one lurking around who can help

Paula

message 29: by Shadazz (new)

Shadazz | 2 comments Hello

I requested to be a librarian basically because the spanish edition of missing kissinger had some mistakes (which I fixed and combined with the hebrew and english edition). And I think I could be useful at finding art cover for spanish editions and other minor jobs. I'll take this slow. Jut wanted to say hi.

message 30: by Raf (last edited May 22, 2010 06:10PM) (new)

Raf (maremaremare) Hi there. Thanks for letting me in. My main gaol is to add some missing books, mostly Polish. I was flabbergasted how many of them are still missing.

message 31: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (nflores) Greeting and Bien Venu. I am one of the newly accepted librarians here. I'd like to thank you for accepting me. I mainly plan on tackling adding author information and the like.

message 32: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 28 comments Hello

Thank you for accepting me as a new Librarian. I'll try and help improve the Goodreads' database as much as I can.

Quick question: What's the correct format for 'setting'? (I mean, should it be "city_name, state_name", or accordingly, "city_name, country"?) It isn't specified in the manual.

Thank you again! ;)

message 33: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments For setting, we often put in what we know (sometimes the book doesn't specify a state or city.)
So, if you know the city name, state name and country, you can put them all in.
HTH!

message 34: by Brian (new)

Brian (furicle) | 23 comments Hi All,

Newly minted librarian here, although after reading some of the discussions I feel more like a fraud :-)

I've got a bunch of older sci-fi on my shelves that Goodreads has no cover images for - I'm going to twiddle away at that for a while.

Thanks to all of you for doing all this work!

message 35: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Welcome Brian! Thank you for adding covers. For me that is the hardest info to get unless you have the book yourself. I'm sure many will appreciate it!

message 36: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Amen.

And welcome! :)

message 37: by Anonymous (new)

Anonymous (insomnicdreamer) | 1 comments hi... i love being a librarian, i manage my home library and i'm a Libra.

i hope i can help here....

message 38: by C.L. (new)

C.L. (cielle) | 1 comments New Good Reads Librarian, but a Librarian in real life. Came across something strange this morning and wasn't sure if I should separate or not. The author Morag Prunty also writes under the name Kate Kerrigan and different editions of her book "Recipes for a Perfect Marriage" were released under both names. They have been combined. Should they be separate?

I'd rather see them separate because I know that down the road when I can't remember the name or title of the book and I'm looking for it, Kate Kerrigan is not going to ring any bells for me because I read one of the editions published under Prunty.

message 39: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments C. L., those books should be combined, but you can list "Morag Prunty" as the primary author and "Kate Kerrigan" as the secondary author with a "Pseudonym" role on the books released under that name. This will show that book under Kate Kerrigan's author profile and turn up the book when Kate Kerrigan is searched for. Books need to have the same primary author in order to be combined (although they can be changed after they're already combined), and all books which have the same content should be combined together -- that way readers can see the other ratings and reviews of the same book and look through all of the ways in which that book's been published.

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura (thatlibrarianlady) I became a librarian a couple of weeks ago. So far, things have been good. I updated the cover art and info for a few books I've read that had little information.

I hope I can help.

message 41: by Morgen (new)

Morgen hi! im not a librarian yet, but i applied. i just will need some help understanding the manual. i read through it, but there is alot of info there and i just need to know what i should start with. :)

message 42: by Lukasz (new)

Lukasz (sowa) | 8 comments Hello librarians. I'm new here and just went through the librarian manual, I hope I'll help and contribute to GR. A lot of work with Polish books and editions. Greetings from Poland.

message 43: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Welcome!

message 44: by J (new)

J (siobhanmaire) | 1 comments YES! I was granted librarian status. I hope to be of assistance here. I did read the Librarian Manual before signing up but will go through it more closely now that I have practical use of it.

Thank you,
Joan

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry hi guys, I've been a librarian for a while but with the hullabaloo of a .7 year old running around the house it's kinda hard to come in and say howdy, but I'm home sick so I might as well come in and say hi while I got the chance.. so hi all. :)

message 46: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23836 comments Welcome Jessica :)

Hope you feel better.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you very much Sandra.

message 48: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 4 comments Hey, just got made a Librarian, so wanted to say thanks. Hope I can be of help :).
And I already have a question: If a book was splitted into two or three parts for translation (or two books of a series combined), how do you merge the book information. I know I can't just combine them with the original, so what to do?

message 49: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Hello and welcome!

Unfortunately, there's no good way to handle a book which has been republished in several parts. As you said, the parts can't be combined with the original work if they aren't the full book, so they have to stand on their own right now. One thing which is useful is to make a note in the "librarian notes" field at the top of the edit page, so that other librarians will know to not combine it.

We have hopes that in the future there will be a way to mark books as being parts of other books, but it's not a feature which will be available soon.