All Things Medieval discussion

Book Give-away The Greatest Knight

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments I see Amy over at Passages to the Past has a give away going, http://passagestothepast.blogspot.com...

message 2: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I left a comment at Amy's site. I signed it as anonymous b/c it has been ages since I wrote in my blog. Does that mean I cannot win a book? And who are followers? Thanks Misfit!

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb | 9 comments Thanks for the post Misfit.
That's the only EC book I have read.

message 4: by Nona, compulsive reader (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 151 comments Mod
The Greatest Knight is a wonderful book, if you get a chance read her other books they are just as good.

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb | 9 comments I was a little disappointed...
I thought it was a bit on the dry side.
But I did enjoy the details on the tournaments and knights in general.

message 6: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments The way the book comes across is very different from other EC books, as William's life at that time was pretty much made up of tourneys, etc. Give her one more shot, I'm sure you can get them via ILL.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb | 9 comments I actually checked already this morning and there are a bunch I can get locally.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura After reading A Place Beyond Courage, I look forward to read The Greatest Knight which is arriving pretty soon...

message 9: by Nona, compulsive reader (new)

I'm currently re-reading The Champion, I think this is the third or fourth time now, I absolutely love EC books.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments I'm with you there. Her older books can have more of a romance feel to them, but I enjoy a good romance. Although I'm forever spoiled now when I do try a new medieval romance. They tend to fly....

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura ... poor books, they don´t deserve such fate..

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments I have good news for those of you who haven't heard yet. Elizabeth's The Greatest Knight has its American pub. date on September 1st; Sourcebooks is also planning to publish her second book about William Marshal, too. I haven't read them yet because I try not to read other writers' treatment of characters I'm writing about so I won't be influenced, even subconsciously. So I have to wait till I finish Lionheart to plunge into Elizabeth's books about William. But I really enjoyed A Place Beyond Courage and The Falcons of Montabard. The Conquest is also a wonderful read.
Sharon

message 13: by Nona, compulsive reader (new)

you should try The Champion if you have not already Sharon, I know that it was one of my earliest of Chadwicks book I read and have sinve revisited several times, I have to say besides The Marsh Kings Daughter I think it is my favorite. It might be that those twobooks are about lesser known people or the story I'm not sure but they tend to be my top two.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments Thanks, Nona. I will definitely add The Champion to my To Read List. I really enjoy Elizabeth's books. Not only can she turn a phrase with the best of them and create believable, three-dimensional characters, I trust her research, and I have always found that her books were firmly rooted in the 12th or 13th centuries. No modern people in medieval clothing, and we know--sadly--that we can't say that about all writers of historical fiction.

message 15: by Nona, compulsive reader (new)

very true Sharon, I think I like the Champion so much because of that, it's true to the times and she recreates the tourney feild and the camps so well. Course your books are the same way, they bring them to life for the reader and that is a gift.

message 16: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments There are very few authors that can really bring you into another century like Sharon and EC can. Then there are some authors who try too hard to do it and I feel like I'm being clubbed over the head with too many tiny details. Picky, picky I know :)

message 17: by Nona, compulsive reader (new)

lol, our reading tastes are so similar. I admitt after Sharon's and Elizabeth's books I feel slightly ruined for others. I'm also ashamed now that I read and loved PG(though years before EC/SKP), what was I thinking!?!

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura well, I badly managed to read one book by PG which was more than enough for me.

message 19: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Another give away plus an offer for out of US readers as well. Go go go go,

http://historicaltapestry.blogspot.co...

message 20: by Nona, compulsive reader (new)

Thanks Misfit now I might get a chance to read the few I cannot get, if I'm lucky.

message 21: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Thank you again Misfit! In fact my google/Blogger account still worked. The day is starting off really good! I am like such a little kid - I wanna win one! Stupid huh! When will I grow up........

message 22: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Pssst, new post up there and the guest poster is yours truly.

message 23: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Another give-away (two books) plus a guest post from EC at A Reader's Respite, http://readersrespite.blogspot.com/20...

message 24: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Misfit, that Respite article was interesting. Maybe Alison's name ought to me mentioned somewhere too in the books. What I like is Elizabeth's attitude that she doesn't understand how it works but just accepts it and uses this knowledge. Does it really matter that we do not understand HOW it works? There is so much we do not understand, that doesn't make those things false. I also like that she checks the results with scholars. Very interesting. Too bad the give-away is not offered internationally this time. And thanks for the tip about the site too!

message 25: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Chrissie, once you read her later books you'll see how the experience with Alison enhances the reading experience. It's like time travel.

message 26: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Misfit wrote: "Chrissie, once you read her later books you'll see how the experience with Alison enhances the reading experience. It's like time travel."

You are referring to books published 2005 or later, right? She had that first conversation with Alison in 2004. Or is there a book from which this "time travel" experience becomes obvious? You know, books published before a particular title versus those published after it. I am curious to knpw where you draw the line.

message 27: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments I think the work with Alison started with The Greatest Knight, but I could be mistaken. Perhaps we can get her here to answer. As to how you notice a difference I'm afraid it's not something I can put into words. There's just that feel of being there, as in her later books are based on real people and she picks up on "real" experiences through Alison.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie OK - it started with the Greatest Knight - that is what I was after. Thanks, Misfit!

message 29: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 28, 2009 02:07AM) (new)

Elizabeth | 42 comments Misfit wrote: "I think the work with Alison started with The Greatest Knight, but I could be mistaken. Perhaps we can get her here to answer. As to how you notice a difference I'm afraid it's not something I can ..."

Yes, it did start with The Greatest Knight, but not until I was about three quarters in and Alison suggested she could go look for John Marshal II's mistress if I was stuck. We were in the midst of ordinary coffee and chat at the time. So although it's there in TGK, it contains the least as we were still very much feeling our way. The Scarlet Lion has more, A Place Beyond courage takes it into a fuller stride and by The Time of Singing we were using digital recorders too. The forthcoming To Defy a King is very strong on the Akashic input. There's a bathtub scene in that (non rude) which willl haunt Alison for a long,long time (LOL!). You will know what I mean when you read it. Sometimes I wish I had not asked things because they turn out to be a novelist's nightmare re fitting into the conventions of a novel, but what I do find out, even if sometimes I wish I hadn't, emphasises to me that these were people who once lived and loved, fought, argued and had daily lives, full of the small incident and the larger moments. Even the hero was capable of stumbling on a bad day or of having an ignoble thought. I realise how strongly they are owed integrity. 'Do not defame the dead' indeed.

message 30: by Chrissie (last edited Aug 28, 2009 03:00AM) (new)

Chrissie Thank you Elizabeth for clearly explaining to what extent your work with Alison is reflected in your different titles. I have purchased Shadows and Strongholds, and now I kind of wish I had Chosen A Place Beyond Courage. Doesn't matter - I can read that later. Anyhow, due to your interest in the medieval period, I also wanted to mention the castle of Godfrey de Bouillon, who led the first crusades. I wish you could visit it with Alison. It is located in Belgium, where we currently live. It is located near the French border. It is impossible NOT to feel something in this marvelous ancient castle. If you ever wrote a book about it I would just HAVE to read it. Dogs are allowed in. I know you have a dog. Or maybe make it a family/friend outing with your dog and return later with Alison if it interests you..... If you have seen the movie Ronja Rövardotter by the Swedish author Astrid Lindgren, well then you get an idea of what I am talking about. Marvelous place!

message 31: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Thanks EC, and have you ever whetted my appetite for To Defy a King with the bathtub scene.

**grumble** I can't believe I have a Fall approaching and no EC book to look forward to. **end grumble**

message 32: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Another give-away at the Tome Traveller,

http://thetometraveller.blogspot.com/...

message 33: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Misfit it is very nice you tell us about these give-aways! So many are limited to only US residents so I really like it when you tell us if they are possible for those living elsewhere. Maybe others think like me?!

message 34: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Did you check the giveaway at A Reader's Respite? I think Michele's often includes international readers.

message 35: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I think it was no, but I may have mixed this up with another, you have suggested so many!