The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Roseann's Task

Comments Showing 1-50 of 192 (192 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Hey everyone - I'm having trouble finding a book that relates to my current job. I'm an apartment community manager. I don't think there ARE any books about apartment managers!!! Any ideas??

message 2: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) I'm having the same problem...I'm a business analyst in software development. I guess I could look for something in the software development arena. I just don't really want to read a text book for this challenge.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Krista wrote: "I'm having the same problem...I'm a business analyst in software development. I guess I could look for something in the software development arena. I just don't really want to read a text book fo..."

Would Microserfs work for you?

message 4: by Alice (last edited Aug 18, 2009 11:21AM) (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments The task says it has to relate to your job. That doesn't mean that it has to have your specific job in it. So it doesn't have to have an apartment manager in it. I don't have a clue what your job entails Candace but for example I am a receptionist and administrator but for a department in a university so I could read a book that is set in a university for example. Krista your job is related to IT so you could read a book that has any kind of computer relatedness in it. I don't know if that gives you any ideas or helps but it may widen your search a bit. Just think of something that is related to your job in someway.

message 5: by Cait (last edited Aug 18, 2009 11:46AM) (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Candace wrote: "Hey everyone - I'm having trouble finding a book that relates to my current job. I'm an apartment community manager. I don't think there ARE any books about apartment managers!!! Any ideas??"

After Alice's post, maybe you could check out
High-Rise
or Everyone Is Beautiful A Novel (one of the characters is the landlord/owner of the other characters apartments).

message 6: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Oh awesome! Thanks so much guys!!

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Aug 18, 2009 11:54AM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 773 comments Candace wrote: "Hey everyone - I'm having trouble finding a book that relates to my current job. I'm an apartment community manager. I don't think there ARE any books about apartment managers!!! Any ideas??"

Candace, these are some books which have an apartment as the main setting:

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen

Krista wrote: "I'm having the same problem...I'm a business analyst in software development. I guess I could look for something in the software development arena. I just don't really want to read a text book fo..."

Krista, this is a great book that uses a software protection firm in the plot. It's a wonderful thriller by my favorite author, Michael Connelly.

The Scarecrow (Jack McEvoy, #2) by Michael Connelly The Scarecrow

message 8: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Cait wrote: "Krista wrote: "I'm having the same problem...I'm a business analyst in software development. I guess I could look for something in the software development arena. I just don't really want to read..."

I think it would, just not sure I'm that excited about it. I'll have to do some more thinking about this one. Thansk for the suggestion!!

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments I will soon be starting a new job as a secretary to a Child Psychiatry Team ... I was wondering if We Need to Talk About Kevin would fit for this task? I'm not sure ....

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 773 comments I have We Need to Talk About Kevin, but haven't read it. I'm not sure if there is any child psychiatry involved in the book. The Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman would fit your criteria, since Delaware was a practicing child psychiatrist.

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments well i would say kevin needs a psychiatrist but it's a bit tenuous. a book with any type of psychiatrist would count though as it is still related to your field.

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Ok thanks, I'll find something else ... I wasn't sure if there was much of a link or not! Trying to use books I already have, but I'll find another :)

message 13: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments and of course you could find a book with secretaries in it going away from the psychiatry angle.

message 14: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather Candace wrote: "Hey everyone - I'm having trouble finding a book that relates to my current job. I'm an apartment community manager. I don't think there ARE any books about apartment managers!!! Any ideas??"

Maison Ikkoku

Krista wrote: "I'm having the same problem...I'm a business analyst in software development. I guess I could look for something in the software development arena. I just don't really want to read a text book fo..."

Infoquake

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Books about finance/banking are one of my nerd things, so I can recommend Sara Paretsky (VI Warshawski series), Peter Spiegelman, and Stephen Frey as sources for those areas. Jennifer Crusie's Bet Me features an actuary, which is insurance-related. Bookkeepers might take a look at Megan Abbott's Queenpin - it's terrific, but rather on the noir side.

message 16: by Cynthia (last edited Aug 18, 2009 09:16PM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Candace wrote: "Hey everyone - I'm having trouble finding a book that relates to my current job. I'm an apartment community manager. I don't think there ARE any books about apartment managers!!! Any ideas??"Super in the City would probably fit for you...it's about a girl who takes over as super of the building her parents own and she lives in after the current super is arrested. It's a pretty good book. Also I looked it up on Novelist and found that Sky Full of Sand has a main character who manages apartments.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Candace

The Things We Do For Love by Kristin Hannah
This Is Not Civilization by Robert Rosenberg
Nothing but the rent by Sharon Mitchell
Underworld by Don DeLillo

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Krista, I looked up business analyst and got...

The Analyst by John Katzenbach
False Profits by Patricia Smiley
Short Change by Patricia Smiley
A Perfect Crime by Peter Abrahams
Idoru by William Gibson
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

For software development I got

Dog Days by Daniel Lyons
Big If by Mark Costello
The Zenith Angle by Bruce Sterling
July and August by Nancy Clark

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Candace wrote: "Hey everyone - I'm having trouble finding a book that relates to my current job. I'm an apartment community manager. I don't think there ARE any books about apartment managers!!! Any ideas??"

Hi Candace
I was out shopping today and saw this book: The Elegance of the Hedgehogabout a concierge of a Parisian apartment building - I know it's not the same as an apartment manager, but is in the same area, and from the reviews on the back it looks really good! (I had to buy it! lol)

message 20: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 888 comments Help! I'm an administrator in a local government - not too many interesting books in either of these fields. But I do have accounting, budgeting, and property management people that I supervise. Can anyone help me with some ideas?

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Alice wrote: "and of course you could find a book with secretaries in it going away from the psychiatry angle."

Good point ... so any recommendations for books about secretaries (fiction)? Preferably not ones who sleep with the boss lol!

message 22: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Sarah wrote: "Krista, I looked up business analyst and got...

The Analyst by John Katzenbach
False Profits by Patricia Smiley
Short Change by Patricia Smiley
A Perfect Crime by Peter Abrahams
Idoru by William ..."

Hey Sarah, cool! I'll check these out. Thanks for the info. -Krista

message 23: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Tammy, I'm nearly in the same boat as you except I do strictly administrative duties. I was going to peek in at the chick-lit novels to see if there's an "office" environment or "secretary" type setting/character out there.

message 24: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Oooh, I've just found Then We Came to the Endwhich I *think* would fit for an office environment?

message 25: by JSou (last edited Aug 19, 2009 11:27AM) (new)

JSou Hey guys, I'm really stuck on this one. I'm currently employed as a dispatcher for the towing units of Highway Patrol and the sherriff's office. I have absolutely NO CLUE where to even begin to look. The only things I've found so far are children's books about tow trucks, and the highway patrol's trooper learning manual (yawn).

Any ideas? Thanks so much in advance.

message 26: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 19, 2009 02:46PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Candace wrote: "Hey everyone - I'm having trouble finding a book that relates to my current job. I'm an apartment community manager. I don't think there ARE any books about apartment managers!!! Any ideas??"

YES! Size 12 Is Not Fat (and sequels), in which the main character is an assistant dorm director at one of New York's top colleges... a girl's residence hall. (She's also an ex-pop star... think Tiffany...) It's a mystery/chick-flick and super cute.

message 27: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Sara wrote: "Candace wrote: "Hey everyone - I'm having trouble finding a book that relates to my current job. I'm an apartment community manager. I don't think there ARE any books about apartment managers!!! ..."

Oh Sara thanks so much, but sadly... I've already read all of the Heather Wells books! Maybe I should re-read one... I did love them so :)

message 28: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments :) Well, I'm glad we're on the same page, at least!

In Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot, the main character works in Human Resources... I'm not sure if that relates to anyone's job. I just love that book. She's also got one with a screenwriter and one with a girl who writes for a newspaper.

I'm a currently-unemployed Civil Engineer. I already read a Civil Engineering book for last Winter's challenge (Pompeii), which was really good... but I think I'd rather do the unemployment route.... Anyone know of a book for that? Can I reread Emma? ;)

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Jessica wrote: "Hey guys, I'm really stuck on this one. I'm currently employed as a dispatcher for the towing units of Highway Patrol and the sherriff's office. I have absolutely NO CLUE where to even begin to l..."

Check this one out it would work...Black Like Blood An Esbeth Walters Mystery

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) Sara wrote: ":) Well, I'm glad we're on the same page, at least!

In Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot, the main character works in Human Resources... I'm not sure if that relates to anyone's job. I j..."

For unemployment, you could try Bitter Is The New Black by Jen Lancaster - her memoir about going from six-figures to zip, and how she adjusted. I found it very funny, especially since I was recently unemployed when I read it.

message 31: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Barnes & Noble has some novels categorized by occupations, such as:

Teachers

Civil Servants

Housewives

and others (look at the links on the left)

message 32: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 888 comments SuzieR wrote: "Oooh, I've just found Then We Came to the Endwhich I *think* would fit for an office environment?"

This looks like a good one - I think I'll use it!

message 33: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Jennifer L. wrote: "For unemployment, you could try Bitter Is The New Black by Jen Lancaster - her memoir about going from six-figures to zip, and how she adjusted. I found it very funny, especially since I was recently unemployed when I read it. "

If I can find it, I think I'll try it! Looks funny!

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori  (batchelorxyz) | 229 comments Does anyone know some good books about authors or the publishing business?

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Lori (BNPL) wrote: "Does anyone know some good books about authors or the publishing business?"

Chris Ewan has two books The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam & The Good Thief's Guide to Paris about a novelist who moonlights as a thief for hire that are really good.

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori  (batchelorxyz) | 229 comments Cynthia wrote: "Lori (BNPL) wrote: "Does anyone know some good books about authors or the publishing business?"

Chris Ewan has two books The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam & [book:T..."

Thanks!!

message 37: by JSou (new)

JSou Cynthia wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Hey guys, I'm really stuck on this one. I'm currently employed as a dispatcher for the towing units of Highway Patrol and the sherriff's office. I have absolutely NO CLUE where to..."

Oooh, thanks so much Cynthia! I'll check that one out!

message 38: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Jessica wrote: "Hey guys, I'm really stuck on this one. I'm currently employed as a dispatcher for the towing units of Highway Patrol and the sherriff's office. I have absolutely NO CLUE where to even begin to l..."

http://www.chud.com/articles/articles...

I found this one, the main character is a tow truck driver

message 39: by Rora (new)

Rora Liz wrote: "Barnes & Noble has some novels categorized by occupations, such as:

Teachers

Civil Servants

Housewives

and others (look at the links on the left)
"

That's funny, pirate is listed as an occupation. : )

message 40: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) Krista wrote: "I'm having the same problem...I'm a business analyst in software development. I guess I could look for something in the software development arena. I just don't really want to read a text book fo..."

Krista; Perhaps you could read one of Douglas Coupland's books. He has created a few characters who work in the computer industry. Perhaps "JPod" or "Microserfs".
Good luck!
Jennifer

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments For anyone working in retail..I'm going to be reading this one..looks funny..

Retail Hell How I Sold My Soul to the Store Confessions of a Tortured Sales Associate

message 42: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 107 comments I have a question about this task. I'm a college student, so for my current profession, do I look for a book with a student or do I relate it directly to my major?

message 43: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 65 comments Since I'll be student teaching during the Fall challenge, can I use teacher as my job?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) So - If we are retired, do we use that or our last job. Sorry if this has already been answered, there is so much going on I am getting lost.

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Don't think this has been asked yet... Can the books be fiction or nonfiction?

message 46: by JSou (new)

JSou Teresa wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Hey guys, I'm really stuck on this one. I'm currently employed as a dispatcher for the towing units of Highway Patrol and the sherriff's office. I have absolutely NO CLUE where to..."

Oh, you rock Teresa! That defiantely looks like my kind of book! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :)

message 47: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Nicole wrote: "Don't think this has been asked yet... Can the books be fiction or nonfiction?"

Nicole, I'm pretty sure they can be either, just so long as they relate to the two different jobs :).

message 48: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 140 comments Nicole wrote: "Don't think this has been asked yet... Can the books be fiction or nonfiction?"

Yes, they can be either.

message 49: by Roseann (last edited Aug 22, 2009 03:01AM) (new)

Roseann | 140 comments Hi everyone!

Sorry, I took a week away from my computer without thinking that you guys might need some answers.

As far as relating to your specific job, all you need to do is make sure that it is in your job setting. Ex-If you work as a Bank Teller, something set in the banking field would be fine.

If you haven't had your question answered yet, or are still having any problems. Please ask, and I will answer asap.

message 50: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Roseann, was the retirement question settled? Do we use that if it our current status, or our former job?

« previous 1 3 4