Book lovers discussion

Challenges > TBR List Mission

Comments Showing 1-50 of 148 (148 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jo (last edited Mar 01, 2010 07:16AM) (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
My TBR list is getting bigger and bigger everyday, so i went through it and picked out the books i most want to read and the books i have at home already. I am going to list them here so that i can cross them off when i have read them. I hope that this will give me inspiration to get through the ever growing list!

If anyone else wants to add their list here then feel free. The more the merrier :)

In no particular order....

Salems Lot
The Time Travelers Wife
Dead until Dark
The Bell Jar
The Great Gatsby
Paint It Black
White Oleander
A Million Little Pieces
The Awakening
The Reckoning
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Choke
Fight Club
The Stand
Stardust
The Eye of The Moon
The Book With No Name
Fragment
The House Next Door
Apathy and Other Small Victories
Perfect Chemistry
The Road
The Fellowship of The Ring
The Two Towers
Return of The King
Lolita
The Memory Keepers Daughter
My Sisters Keeper
Middlesex
Lovely Bones
One
Doing It
Hater
Labyrinth
I am Legend
Interview With A Vampire
Dracula
A Certain Age (Pure)
The Gargoyle
Bitten
The Van Alen Legacy
Eyes Like Stars
Parasite Positive (Peeps)
The Last Days
Uglies
Hunger Games
Try Me
Ghost World
Ritual
Legacy
High Stakes
Hunted
Lulluby
Do The Creepy Thing
Vampire Academy
City of Bones

...and thats just some of them!!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I have over 500 listed on goodreads TBR and they are all on my bookcases in my library! When I need a new book I never know which one to pick so I just shut my eyes and go along the shelves and stop at one!

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Lol thats a lot of books! I keep buying new ones and not reading the ones that i have got so i thought that if i made a list of the ones that i want to read most then i can cross them off as i go along and being able to cross them off will give me motivation to read them before buying more. It probably wont work but oh well

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 17, 2009 05:40PM) (new)

I am going to post a new list every month with my top 10 TBR and I will cross off as I read them.

In September I plan to read:

1. The Host 9/10/09
2. Something Borrowed
3. The Girls from Ames A Story of Women and Friendship
4. Blue Moon 9/1/09
5. The First Man in Rome
6. Chasing the Horizon Our Adventures Through the British Isles and France
7. Girl with a Pearl Earring 9/2/09
8. A Northern Light
9. Rebel Angels 9/17/09
10. The Sweet Far Thing

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Thats a good idea. Will you read those 10 in one month?

message 6: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Jo wrote: "Thats a good idea. Will you read those 10 in one month? "

Wow, wish I had the time!

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Me too. I can never find enough time to read!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to try. I have a few of the books as audiobooks, so that should help me finish the list. If I don't finish it, then the unfinished books will move on to the next month. At least that's the plan for now.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah. I always find making a list of what you plan to read gives you more motivation because you want to be able to cross as many off as possible. I look forward to seeing how you get on!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Jo.

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Today i have crossed off my fourth! Only LOADS more to go :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jo, I was reading through your list and here are a few I think you definitely read soon:

The Hunger Games
Vampire Academy
Uglies
The Great Gatsby

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Out of them i only own Great Gatsby so that narrows it down a bit lol

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hehe oh okay. Well, that one I read in high school, but I remember I enjoyed it more than most of the books required for school.

I wonder if our TBR is meant to get bigger (like it does) or not? It would be awesome to read them all and be caught up, but does anyone ever catch up? Just a thought...

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
If you did catch up though, you would be out of things to read. The one i put on here isnt anywhere near all of my TBR list, its just the ones that jumped out most.

We didnt read many books at school or at least i can't remember reading many books at school! Great Gatsby is quite small so i might give it a go soon

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I know. I would like to be able to read new books as they come out, but I can't seem to catch up on books I've been wanting to read in order to do that.

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah same here especially with groups having group reads and challenges! I find myself having books on my shelf that i really want to read but having to leave them ages before i read them

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly, but I'm working on it. Someday I will get closer to where I would like to be and then it won't be so overwhelming.

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Good luck! lol

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Jo, oh good you read WHite Oleander! How did you like it??? You haven't read city of bones?!?! You need to get on that...right after American Psycho and the Bell Jar of course...;)

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Linda Grace wrote: "I'm going to try. I have a few of the books as audiobooks, so that should help me finish the list. If I don't finish it, then the unfinished books will move on to the next month. At least that's..."

That is such a smart move! I have all teh Sookie Stackhouse books on audio! I just keep forgetting to transfer them from my home to my car! I hear it's a great version because the reader has a nice thick accent and does all the voices really well! Can you recommend any good audio books to me? The voice is EVERYTHING!

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "Jo, oh good you read WHite Oleander! How did you like it??? You haven't read city of bones?!?! You need to get on that...right after American Psycho and the Bell Jar of course...;)"

I LOVED it! So good! I loved the film but the book was better! I bought City of Bones recently so i am one step closer to reading it but have so many i want to read!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Jo wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Jo, oh good you read WHite Oleander! How did you like it??? You haven't read city of bones?!?! You need to get on that...right after American Psycho and the Bell Jar of course...;)"..."

Woop woop! SO good! :) I am still working on a classic that I am re-reading for the sake of a thread. I should be starting American Psycho by the end of this week! Excited for Dracula and Frankie though! Every night I wait for Pash to start falling asleep before I whisper in his ear (in my most creepy voice) I vant to suck your blood! He is rarely amuzed when I do this but it brings a smile to my face so...WORTH IT!

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Lol i like that! I am sure he loves it really, he just doesnt want to encourage you! I am really looking forward to reading Dracula and Frankie! Good times!

message 25: by Jo (last edited Oct 07, 2009 02:36AM) (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I decided that my list was way too big and have come up with one like Linda Grace

Dracula
Frankenstein
City of Bones
Marked
Shiver
Catching Fire
The Beach

I want to get all of these read by the end of october but i doubt i will be able to!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooh... good list! I hope you get a chance to read them all. Are you going to read Dracula and Frankenstein closer to halloween?

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 30, 2009 01:33PM) (new)

Here is an update since I read a few off the list.

In September I plan to read:

1. The Host 9/10/09
2. Something Borrowed
3. The Girls from Ames A Story of Women and Friendship
4. Blue Moon 9/1/09
5. The First Man in Rome
6. Chasing the Horizon Our Adventures Through the British Isles and France
7. Girl with a Pearl Earring 9/2/09
8. A Northern Light
9. Rebel Angels 9/17/09
10. The Sweet Far Thing 9/30/09

Books read not on the list:

Marked 9/18/09
Blood Promise 9/22/09
Catching Fire 9/27/09

message 28: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah they are my halloween reads. I have lots of stuff going on in october and i think because of their age, they will take me longer to read. So i thought i would aim to finish them around halloween time and start them earlier on in october. I have 2 books on the go at a time so i will figure out the best way to do it.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

2 Books at a time huh? Do you keep them in separate places or just switch back and forth when you feel like it? I usually have 2 or 3 books at a time because I keep one at home and have one at work. Then I usually also have an audiobook I am listening to while working.

message 30: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
How was Marked? I have had that at home for a while.

message 31: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I take one to work and keep one at home. I tend to read a fair bit at work. Sometimes i will stop reading one if a certain books comes along that take priority... like Catching Fire lol

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

It was okay. I liked the story line, but the wording was very immature. I'm hoping as the series goes the wording will get better because my husband bought me the entire series. I am hoping to get through the rest of those after Catching Fire so I can also read Tempted when it comes out at the end of October.

message 33: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I read a book that was like that actually. I still liked it and it was a break from the better worded stuff it just wasn't amazing. Well i only bought the first book so i can stop if i don't like it lol

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

:) I liked the story, I think the series has potential.

message 35: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Cool :) I will try and get round to reading it soon!

message 36: by Dean (last edited Nov 03, 2009 11:35AM) (new)

Dean (cowboys86) | 122 comments I might as well make one, I'll do one for what I aim to read by the end of the year. I'm probably being a tad bit optimistic, especially with how slowly I'm reading Dracula right now.

Blood of the Fold
Blood Meridian Or the Evening Redness in the West
Dracula
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
Frankenstein
Gulliver's Travels
REAL Ultimate Power The Official Ninja Book
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Tale of Genji

message 37: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Good luck Dean! I hope you reach your goal! I will be starting Dracula soon and i think i will be reading it slow too!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Dean wrote: "I might as well make one, I'll do one for what I aim to read by the end of the year. I'm probably being a tad bit optimistic, especially with how slowly I'm reading Dracula right now.

[book:Blood..."

The Picture of Dorian Grary is one of the creepiest things I ever read! You're going to LOVE it. Great list! A few of those are on my TBR for October as well! Happy reading!

message 39: by Dean (new)

Dean (cowboys86) | 122 comments Thanks! I've heard great things, I'm really looking forward to it.

message 40: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Dean wrote: "I might as well make one, I'll do one for what I aim to read by the end of the year. I'm probably being a tad bit optimistic, especially with how slowly I'm reading Dracula right now.

[book:Blood..."

Hi Dean which edition of"The Tale Of Genji"are you giong to read?Have you ever read "The Diary of Lady Murasaki"unfortunately The Princeton Press no longer publish the version of this with her Poems included...

message 41: by Dean (new)

Dean (cowboys86) | 122 comments I was thinking of getting this one The Tale of Genji (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by Murasaki Shikibu . Not sure if it's a good version or not.

No, I've never read it but I will certainly look out for it. I love stuff to do with Japanese culture ( so if you have anything else to recommend feel free!), I'm really hoping The Tale of Genji is as great as I've heard. Have you read it? What did you think of it?

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Dean wrote: "I was thinking of getting this one [image error]. Not sure if it's a good version or not.

No, I've never read it but I will certainly look out for it. I love stuff to do with ..."

Have you read Sei Shonogan's Pillow Book? She was considered the rival to Murasaki Shikibu, the writer of "The Tale of Genji." I thought that was an interesting book as it talks of court life and gives lists and bits of gossip and so on...

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 07, 2009 10:55AM) (new)

In October I plan to read:

1. Chosen
2. Untamed
3. Hunted
4. The Last Song
5-6. Wicked Witch & Curse
7. Inkheart
8. Inkspell
9. Inkdeath
10. Fire

Betrayed 10/4/09
Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason 10/7/09

message 44: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Ahh i am getting so behind! I don't think i am going to get all the books read that i wanted to too for Halloween. I went away at the weekend for my birthday but other than that i have no excuse

message 45: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT TIME....

message 46: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Thank you :) I did

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

In October I plan to read:

1. Chosen
2. Untamed
3. Hunted
4. The Last Song 10/12/09
5-6. Wicked Witch & Curse
7. Inkheart
8. Inkspell
9. Inkdeath
10. Fire

Betrayed 10/4/09
Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason 10/7/09

message 48: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I am like you and always end up reading books that aren't on the list i make

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

:) Yeah, it really depends on what the library gets first for me.

message 50: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Lol i always just end up buying something or remembering about one that i already have that i want to read

« previous 1 3