The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 20.6 - Seasoned Reader – Kathy P's task: Careers

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5312 comments Mod
20.6 - Seasoned Reader – Kathy P's task: Careers

One board game that I played as a child that my children also enjoyed is Careers. There are many ways to win this game since you get to choose your formula for success. There are three types of points, Fame, Fortune and Happiness. The total number of points required to win is 60. The twist is at the beginning of the game you secretly choose the specific number of each type of points you need which will add up to those 60 points. The winner is the first one to reach or exceed all three goals.

For this task choose one option based on these categories and read a book that fits the requirements.

Required: Indicate which option you chose when you post.

Books with the Main Page Genres of Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, and Manga may be used for this task.

Option 1. Fame – Famous people often have biographies written about them. For this option, read a book with the main page genre Biography. Books must be written by a different person than the person the book is about. Memoirs or autobiographies will not work.

Option 2. Fortune – Businesses can lead to fortunes. Read a book with a main page genre Business or Finance. Genres may be stand alone or embedded.

Option 3. Happiness – Relationships often bring happiness. Read a book with more than one person on the cover. The people on the cover must look like humans.
Required: Include the cover when you post.

message 2: by Kathy (last edited Nov 28, 2018 07:40PM) (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Reserved

Works for option 1
Prairie Fires The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Caroline Fraser Fear Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward

Works for option 3
Homicide The View from Inside the Yellow Tape by Cloyd Steiger Gates of Paradise (Blue Bloods, #7) by Melissa de la Cruz The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett The Arab of the Future 3 A Childhood in the Middle East, 1985-1987 by Riad Sattouf Ways of Going Home by Alejandro Zambra Speak Easy, Speak Love by McKelle George Cadence to Glory by Mary Beth Dearmon Noir by Christopher Moore

message 3: by Kathy (last edited Sep 11, 2018 05:57PM) (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Reserved

Does not work for option 1
Slice Harvester A Memoir in Pizza by Colin Atrophy Hagendorf

Does not work for option 3
Saga, Vol. 3 (Saga, #3) by Brian K. Vaughan

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5312 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Kim (last edited Sep 10, 2018 09:22PM) (new)

Kim | 690 comments I just want to clarify something. You can't just go by the MPG. Even if the book has the MPG biography, it won't qualify if it was written by the person that the book is about. example: Slice Harvester: A Memoir in Pizza.

Conversely, if a book has the MPG memoir, but it was written by a different person, it will work. Example: Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder This book has MPGs Biography and Biography Memoir (whatever that is).

Is that correct?

Thank you.

message 6: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2744 comments I just want to confirm that there are at least 2 people on this cover. When i look on screen it is quite difficult to tell but i see one person in centre and another to right on the cover

Homicide A View from Inside the Yellow Tape by Cloyd Steiger

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber J (amberisreading) | 38 comments Will Gates of Paradise by Melissa de la Cruz work for Option 3?

Gates of Paradise (Blue Bloods, #7) by Melissa de la Cruz

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Kim wrote: "I just want to clarify something. You can't just go by the MPG. Even if the book has the MPG biography, it won't qualify if it was written by the person that the book is about. example: Slice..."</i>

Correct.
[book:Slice Harvester: A Memoir in Pizza
does not work but Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder does.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "I just want to confirm that there are at least 2 people on this cover. When i look on screen it is quite difficult to tell but i see one person in centre and another to right on the cover

[bookco..."

I see two definite people so it works.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Tiffani wrote: "Will Gates of Paradise by Melissa de la Cruz work for Option 3?

Gates of Paradise (Blue Bloods, #7) by Melissa de la Cruz"

This will work.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Wayne wrote: "Do persons have to be human, or can they have some nonhuman aspects, such as horns on their heads?Saga, Vol. 3 (Saga, #3) by Brian K. Vaughan"

They have to be human so this doesn't work.

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 1069 comments Can I get Fear: Trump in the White House ok'd as a Bio-right now on MPG, but it could fall off.....

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Joanne wrote: "Can I get Fear: Trump in the White House ok'd as a Bio-right now on MPG, but it could fall off....."

MPG of Biography is noted.

message 14: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 717 comments Will The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett work for option 3?

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Ed wrote: "Will The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett work for option 3?"
Yes. There are definitely two people here.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 370 comments Will The Arab of the Future 3 A Childhood in the Middle East, 1985-1987 by Riad Sattouf work? There are four people, but they are cartoon figures.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Stephanie wrote: "Will The Arab of the Future 3 A Childhood in the Middle East, 1985-1987 by Riad Sattouf work? There are four people, but they are cartoon figures."

Yes these will work.

message 18: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1792 comments Does this cover work for option 3?

Ways of Going Home by Alejandro Zambra

message 19: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Calhoun | 211 comments Does Speak Easy, Speak Love by McKelle George work for option 3?

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Does this cover work for option 3?

Ways of Going Home by Alejandro Zambra"

Yes

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Kayla wrote: "Does Speak Easy, Speak Love by McKelle George work for option 3?"
Yes

message 22: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Berry | 370 comments Cadence to Glory by Mary Beth Dearmon Scooter&Siam

Does the cover above work for option 3 ?

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments S.L. wrote: "Cadence to Glory by Mary Beth DearmonScooter&Siam

Does the cover above work for option 3 ?"

Yes it will.

message 24: by Emurphy (new)

Emurphy | 559 comments Would this work for Option 3, more than one person on the cover?
Noir by Christopher Moore

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 607 comments Emurphy wrote: "Would this work for Option 3, more than one person on the cover?
Noir by Christopher Moore"

Yes