101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

The New York Trilogy
This topic is about The New York Trilogy
Completed Reads > The New York Trilogy

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mike A clever & at times cryptic trilogy of related novellas.

Irene | 1550 comments Cryptic is a good word for this collection. I just finished it. I was riveted. I loved the strange twists, the atmospheric feel. I am not sure I understood a fraction of what the author was trying to say, but I found the book a great reading experience.

Mike Irene wrote: "Cryptic is a good word for this collection. I just finished it. I was riveted. I loved the strange twists, the atmospheric feel. I am not sure I understood a fraction of what the author was trying ..."

I almost think it is worth reading twice. I think the narrative makes more sense once you have seen it in its entirety.

Irene | 1550 comments Hmmm, maybe. Right now trying to figure out what one story is saying about the others just has my head spinning.

message 5: by Suki (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 24 comments I was so happy when I saw that this book was this month's choice. I bought it years ago because I knew that I would like it, if that makes any sense at all, and it's been sitting on the shelf ever since, waiting for the right time for reading. I'm 100 pages into it, and I'm loving it. The Stillman/Babel puzzle is very intriguing, and I really want to see where it leads. I also like the way Auster has inserted himself into the story, yet remained removed from it. It is frustrating that I have to set the book aside for a few hours, but I must go and adult for a bit. I am hoping to finish City of Glass and maybe Ghosts tonight.

message 6: by Suki (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 24 comments Wow. I took too long to read this-- I recognized some of the pieces of the puzzle, but I had forgotten some of the essential details I need to put it all together. I have some theories, but I'm not sure at this point if they are based in fact or merely idle speculation. I am definitely going to read this again, when I have the time to read it all in one sitting. I'm going to give it 4 stars for now, a reread and ability to put the puzzle together may raise it to 5 stars.

Irene | 1550 comments Hint about putting the puzzle together? I'm stumped.

Mike Irene wrote: "Hint about putting the puzzle together? I'm stumped." I believe Suki is speaking on how the stories are inter-related and told out of sequence.

Irene | 1550 comments I could use help understanding this book. I found the writing terrific and each story intriguing, but I know I am missing what Auster is doing with these stories. Does anyone want to discuss this book? to put forth your thoughts on what is going on? This should be a great book to discuss. If this group's discussion threads are ever going to evolve from "I finished and here is my review", this would be the book to do it.