The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 25.7 - M1nks's task: The Games We Played

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2018 05:42AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
25.7 - M1nks's task: The Games We Played

Childhood games always give me happy nostalgic smiles when I think of them. Here are some which have given me many happy hours.

This is a two book task. Pick two books from two different options.

Required: State which options you used when you post.

1. Game of Life - An old childhood favourite. Here you start out and move through the board, getting married, having kids and retiring to a millionaires mansion. Or that is what is meant to happen!

To celebrate 'The Game of Life' read a book which has 'Autobiography' or 'Biography' as a main page genre.

2. Escape from Colditz - A little more obscure, this boardgame was a huge hit with those kids lucky enough to know about it. You play either prisoners trying to escape a German POW camp or the German guards trying to keep them in there.

To recreate the excitement of this wonderful game read a book which has 'World War II' or which has 'Spy' or 'Espionage' as a main page genre.

3. The Smiling Game - I was always hopeless at this one, in fact I always lost before my turn officially started. The challenge was for one person to remain poker faced while everyone else did everything they could to make them laugh (no touching allowed). A guaranteed way to brighten up a rainy afternoon.

To (hopefully) being a smile to your face, read a book with the main page genre 'Humor'

4. Kick the Can - We also played a lot of games outside, some more annoying to the neighbourhood than others. One which was a lot of fun and which didn't disturb anything more than the odd flowerbed, was 'Kick the Can', a night time game. Here one person would be 'it' and the others would scatter. Whoever was 'it' would try to catch everyone in his or her flashlight, sending them to prison (standing by the can). Anyone could free the prisoners by sneaking over and 'kicking the can' which made a loud sound.

To honour this game, played in the dark, read a book with a cover that is at least 50% black according to TinEye. To extract colors in TinEye, use the picture on the book's main page (as-is, not enlarged) and uncheck the box that says "exclude background color from extracted colors," if it is checked. Further directions on how to use TinEye can be found in message 4 of this help thread.

Required: Include the cover in your post.

message 2: by Nicola (last edited Sep 27, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Approved:

Option 2. Ostland by David Thomas , War Dog by Damien Lewis , The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan , In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen ; The Master Plan Himmler's scholars and the Holocaust by Heather Anne Pringle ; The Moscow Sleepers (Liz Carlyle #10) by Stella Rimington

message 3: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 09, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

To use TinEye

• Navigate to the main page of the book you've chosen
• Right click on the picture of your book (as-is on the main book page)
• Choose "copy image address" or just "copy"
• Paste the image address in the box that says "enter image URL"
• As an alternative, you may drag-and-drop your cover image onto the TinEye page. Or, you can choose "open image in a new tab" (or window) and copy the URL in the address bar and paste that into TinEye.
• Go to https://labs.tineye.com/color/
• Click "extract colors"
• Scroll down and uncheck the box that says "exclude background color from extracted colors," if it is checked
• Add the percentages listed beside any color that has black in parentheses beside it

message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 6: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 859 comments Copying this here for Opt 4 so that I don't have to redo it later for The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1) by Daniel O'Malley

https://labs.tineye.com/color/1af7264...

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) For #2, will you accept Ostland? It is a dual timeline story, most of which is set during WWII. The other part is set after the war and is the war crime trial of the Nazi officers. It is all tied in to WWII, though. Thanks.

message 8: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments I will. I've asked the Mods to change the task to reflect that option 2. asks for the WW II genre which your book has.

message 9: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Could you please note War Dog The No-Man's Land Puppy Who Took to the Skies by Damien Lewis for World War II? Thanks.

message 10: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Rina wrote: "Could you please note War Dog The No-Man's Land Puppy Who Took to the Skies by Damien Lewis for World War II? Thanks."

Noted

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3979 comments Please confirm: World War II for The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan

message 12: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please confirm: World War II for The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan"

Confirmed

message 13: by Dee (last edited Sep 13, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments when i used tineye I got 87% black for American War - can someone sanity check for me?

https://labs.tineye.com/color/46a8a9a...

message 14: by Amber (last edited Sep 13, 2018 07:20PM) (new)

Amber (ambrosian) | 345 comments I got the same thing Dee! 86.7% black! (Just to add: I used the thumbnail on the book you linked, I mention this because I noticed that I don't always get the same results with different editions.)

message 15: by Bea (last edited Sep 14, 2018 04:31AM) (new)

Bea | 4264 comments Dee, I got the same using the Main Page cover.

message 16: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Please verify In Farleigh Field WWII MPG. It's currently second from bottom.

message 17: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "Please verify In Farleigh Field WWII MPG. It's currently second from bottom."

Done

message 18: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments Just to double check, for Option 2, is embedded is okay for WWII?

message 19: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Trish wrote: "Just to double check, for Option 2, is embedded is okay for WWII?"

Of course :-)

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16720 comments Mod
For option 2, please verify The Moscow Sleepers for Spy Thriller>Espionage.

Thanks!

message 21: by Trish (last edited Sep 25, 2018 11:30PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments Morning

Could you just confirm that you can see World War II on the MPG page of The Master Plan: Himmler's scholars and the Holocaust. I'm seeing genres, but not number of users, so I'm not sure how close they are to the bottom.

Thanks.

message 22: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Sandy wrote: "For option 2, please verify The Moscow Sleepers for Spy Thriller>Espionage.

Thanks!"

Confirmed

message 23: by Nicola (last edited Sep 27, 2018 07:43AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Trish wrote: "Morning

Could you just confirm that you can see World War II on the MPG page of The Master Plan: Himmler's scholars and the Holocaust. I'm seeing genres, but not number of users, so..."

That's fine.

To find out the number of users you just need to click on the 'See Top Shelves'.

message 24: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments Thanks. Mainly I wanted to make sure you could see it.

message 25: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 212 comments Verifying that The Grey Bastards (The Lot Lands, #1) by Jonathan French is 76% black

https://labs.tineye.com/color/8ec310d...

message 26: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments please verify Captive in Iran as biography

message 27: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "please verify Captive in Iran as biography"

Verified