Challenge Corner discussion

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
This topic is about A Darker Shade of Magic
Let's Buddy! - Series > Shades of Magic Series by V.E. Schwab -> Restarting January 1st, 2021

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alaina (ameserole) | 63603 comments Mod
It has been four months since a mysterious obsidian stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Prince Rhy was wounded, and since the nefarious Dane twins of White London fell, and four months since the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift--back into Black London.

Now, restless after having given up his smuggling habit, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks as she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games--an extravagant international competition of magic meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries--a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

And while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night will reappear in the morning. But the balance of magic is ever perilous, and for one city to flourish, another London must fall.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 167 comments Checking in so I can find the thread later. I will be starting book 3 as soon as I am done with my current reads 😀

Anna | 427 comments I’m checking in too - just finished A Darker Shade of Magic so this pretty great timing!

Attack Salmon about time. I didn't have much luck with Schwab lately. I didn't like a darker shade of magic and this savage song

But I would like to see this one through the end :D

Attack Salmon chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 167 comments Started A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3) by V.E. Schwab today

Currently reading part 3 (view spoiler)

♛Vanessa♛ Fangirl Faction (fangirlfaction) | 2590 comments A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) by V.E. Schwab
16% (view spoiler)

♛Vanessa♛ Fangirl Faction (fangirlfaction) | 2590 comments A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) by V.E. Schwab
36% (view spoiler)

50% (view spoiler)

76% (view spoiler)

Finished! (view spoiler)

♛Vanessa♛ Fangirl Faction (fangirlfaction) | 2590 comments Attack Salmon wrote: "chapter 3 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 427 comments Chapter 3

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Anna (last edited Sep 12, 2018 02:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 427 comments Vanessa wrote: "A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) by V.E. Schwab
16% I really loved the opening scene with Lila and the pirate ship heist. It was clever of her. It truly made me giggle. She is so ruthless. And then the..."

End of Part 2

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Anna (last edited Sep 12, 2018 10:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 427 comments Vanessa wrote: "A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) by V.E. Schwab
36% Ned is really growing on me. I didn't think that he would be such a continuous character. I wonder if he will have more significance by the end of th..."

36% (view spoiler)

message 16: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 427 comments 50%ish (view spoiler)

message 17: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 427 comments 95%ish (view spoiler)

message 18: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 427 comments Finished!! (view spoiler)

message 19: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2468 comments A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3) by V.E. Schwab
Parts 1-3: (view spoiler)

Pt 4-6: (view spoiler)

Parts 7-9: (view spoiler)

Finished: (view spoiler)

message 20: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2468 comments @Anna Kell and Holland are my faves with Rhy not far behind <3

message 21: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 427 comments Jenn wrote: "@Anna Kell and Holland are my faves with Rhy not far behind <3"

They are fab characters aren't they! Honestly I'm literally counting down the days until I get 'A Conjuring of Light'. I saw you rated it 5 stars and now I'm even more psyched!! Also I am so happy to find a fellow Hufflepuff 😂

message 22: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

RESTARTING JANUARY 1ST, 2021

message 23: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 24687 comments Mod
A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab
25% (view spoiler)
50% (view spoiler)
75% (view spoiler)

message 24: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished (view spoiler)

message 25: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Starting book 1 now!

message 26: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yay!

message 27: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

I totally forgot about this series lol

message 28: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab
29%: (view spoiler)

message 29: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aly wrote: "A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab
25% [spoilers removed].."

Comment @ 25%, yes - it is so cool seeing all the different places/colors.

message 30: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina wrote: "A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab
29%: Oh hello Kell and Lila! I have missed you both so much. First off, I love both of them. Like so much. Lila just seems like the female version of Ro..."

I like the comparison to Robin Hood!

message 31: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

57%: (view spoiler)

message 32: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina wrote: "57%: (view spoiler)

Haha finders keepers?

message 33: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aly wrote: "Alaina wrote: "57%.."

HAHA yes of course. As it should be.

message 34: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

71%: (view spoiler)

message 35: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina wrote: "71%: [spoilers removed]"

It hooks you in!

message 36: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aly wrote: "Alaina wrote: "71%: [spoilers removed]"

It hooks you in!"

Yes, and the audio is pretty good.

message 37: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Agreed! Too bad the next book is a different narrator, hopefully they're good

message 38: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

93%: (view spoiler)

message 39: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina wrote: "93%: [spoilers removed]"

Burn!!

message 40: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

100%: (view spoiler)

message 41: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina wrote: "100%: [spoilers removed]"

Yes! I'm starting book two today

message 42: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 3828 comments I need to start this asap or you'll be done with the series before I pick up book one ^^

message 43: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly wrote: "I need to start this asap or you'll be done with the series before I pick up book one ^^"

lmao.. I can try to hold myself back. I don't know about Aly though..

message 44: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

They go by quickly, especially the audio

message 45: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I need to start this asap or you'll be done with the series before I pick up book one ^^"

lmao.. I can try to hold myself back. I don't know about Aly though.."

Haha it's the only audiobook buddy I have so I'm super on top of it. Maybe I'll see about reading one of the BOTMs

message 46: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 3828 comments I don't have the audios - just the paperbacks so it'll take me extra time to go through them. And no need to hold back for me lol read at your pace

message 47: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly wrote: "I don't have the audios - just the paperbacks so it'll take me extra time to go through them. And no need to hold back for me lol read at your pace"

I just got the audio in my library app - overdrive! Haven't even looked for the next book yet lol

message 48: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Reading book 2 now

message 49: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) by V.E. Schwab
25% (view spoiler)
45% (view spoiler)

message 50: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

75% (view spoiler)
Finished (view spoiler)

« previous 1