Play Book Tag discussion

Where the Crawdads Sing
This topic is about Where the Crawdads Sing
Archive: Other Books > Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens--4.5 stars (round down to 4)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
4.5 stars (round down to 4)

Beautiful and heartbreaking, in turns, Where the Crawdads Sing tells the story of the Marsh Girl, Kya, who finds herself living alone in the salt marsh at the tender age of 10 after her entire family, for one reason or another, has left her. With the help of a few kind souls who later become friends—namely an older black couple Jumpin' and Mabel, and a local boy Tate—Kya survives and learns to read, all the while withdrawing into herself and trusting people no farther than she can throw them. She craves human interaction and connection, but when she makes a tiny step in that direction she finds herself in the center of a murder investigation, accused of brutally killing the town it-boy Chase Andrews.

This was a debut novel and I cannot wait to see what Delia Owens comes up with next. Her writing was beautiful and captures the delicate yet resilient nature of the marsh perfectly. She drew me right into the story and I particularly loved the natural history descriptions and mini ecology lessons as told through the eyes of Kya and Tate. The ending was poetic yet bittersweet.

It was oh-so-close to a 5 star rating from me, but Kya's trial slipped into court procedural, which I typically love but was a bit jarring here when set against the rest of the story. It had a bit of an Atticus Finch flair to it with Kya's lawyer standing up for her against town prejudice and misunderstanding.

I definitely recommend this to people who enjoyed books like Prodigal Summer by Kingsolver or Remarkable Creatures by Chevalier.

***Note that it could fit this month's tag of friendship, but I am not putting it there as I am reserving that for books where the friendship is more central to the story even though I would say that Kya and Jumpin's friendship was a driving force through the first half of the story.

Susie | 4488 comments It sounds great. Thanks for your review. I’m adding it.

message 3: by Jeremiah (new) - added it

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Debated adding this one to the TBR list. Your review made it official.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I hope you both like it! It is getting great reviews on GR and Amazon.

message 5: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 254 comments I've seen lots of buzz about this book and am glad it seems to meet the high praise it is getting.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. I've been seeing this book pop up in several places. Its seems to be very popular right now. I love that this is a debut novel and seems to be doing so well for her.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Reese Witherspoon just selected it as the September read fir her Hello Sunshine book club, so you’ll probably see more and more about it!