What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

On Top of the World
This topic is about On Top of the World
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Autobiography, British woman goes to Finland to teach English - 1960s [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie-Louise (new)

Marie-Louise Karttunen | 4 comments This is an amusing tale of a year or so that a British woman spent in Finland teaching English to adults in either the 60s or late 50s. In it she describes interactions with the locals, learning to cross-country ski and coming last in a local competition, some sedate dating in the company of another English friend who was wearing an incongruous fringed yellow silk shawl.

I think the title is something like 'On top of the world' and the cover (I think) was a semi-cartoonish depiction of a woman tangled in her skis in front of a snowy hill. Maybe moose horns figured.

message 2: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
I believe it's On Top of the World by Lesley Rowlands. It looks like GR doesn't have a page for this book. Give me a few minutes and I'll create one.

message 3: by Marie-Louise (last edited Sep 04, 2018 10:44AM) (new)

Marie-Louise Karttunen | 4 comments Andria wrote: "I believe it's On Top of the World by Lesley Rowlands. It looks like GR doesn't have a page for this book. Give me a few minutes and I'll create one."

I found that when googling this morning, but no content or cover, and when I googled Leslie Rowlands all I got was a cricketer from about a hundred years ago - so I assumed it must be a different subject (there are quite a few books with that title). So thanks very much for this - I went to Finland myself as an English teacher some 25 years later and I've been meaning to track this down ever since.

message 4: by Andria (new)

Hi Marie-Louise, here's the link to the page I created. I couldn't find a summary but did track down the cover and it's as you remembered! On Top of the World
On Top of the World by Lesley Rowlands

message 5: by Andria (new)

And it looks like there's a copy for sale here: https://www.morgansrarebooks.com/coll...

message 6: by Marie-Louise (new)

Marie-Louise Karttunen | 4 comments Well, that's great! Many thanks once again. Should this now go to a different section?

message 7: by Andria (new)

Yes, I'll move it to solved for you :)

message 8: by Marie-Louise (new)

Marie-Louise Karttunen | 4 comments Andria wrote: "Yes, I'll move it to solved for you :)"

Thanks - what a rewarding experience I have had on this site today. And my book is on its way from Amazon UK (where I live). Morgan's postage was going to take a while.