The Sapphic Squad discussion

Recommendations! > Discussions - Favorite Other Sapphic Media

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle (ellexamines) (ellexamines) | 70 comments Mod
Hi friends! The discussion boards on here have been a little dead lately, so I thought I'd ask: what are some non-book sapphic media things you adore?

message 2: by Elle (new)

my favorite sapphic movie is Carol [YES, I know everyone has seen this, but it's the best let's be really honest with ourselves]. I'm mostly more into sapphic tv - I was one of those people that watched All The Sapphic Shows in like 2015 - but one of my favorite couples ever is Nomi and Amanita from Sense8! <3 <3

message 3: by chloe (new)

chloe | 2 comments ahh I still need to watch Sense 8!!!

I have to mention the SanJunipero episode of Black Mirror because 1) ITS SO GOOD and 2) sapphic women combined with the song Heaven is A Place on Earth is amazing.

Another favorite is One Day at a Time. I’ve never related to a character more than Elena, and it’s just a really funny show :)

message 4: by Elle (last edited Sep 03, 2018 10:34PM) (new)

chloe wrote: "ahh I still need to watch Sense 8!!!

I have to mention the SanJunipero episode of Black Mirror because 1) ITS SO GOOD and 2) sapphic women combined with the song Heaven is A Place on Earth is ama..."

BLACK MIRROR REALLY WENT OFF. actually that whole show went off i fuckin love it

I still haven't seen ODAAT and I'm such a failure for it!! it looks amazing.

message 5: by lyraand (new)

lyraand | 7 comments Movies:

1. The Handmaiden!!! Some of the sex scenes are arguably a little male-gaze-y but overall it's fantastic.

2. Wild Nights with Emily. I'm not sure if it's commercially available (yet?) outside of film festivals, but I hope it will be at some point! It's sort of a biopic of Emily Dickinson, but a comedy, and it focuses on (what the film portrays as) her romantic and sexual relationship with her sister-in-law. It's about queer joy and queer historiography and women who are allowed to be visibly middle-aged and still have lots of enthusiastic sex. I utterly forgot every single terrible thing happening in the world and every single stressful thing happening in my life while I was watching this.

3. Hearts Beat Loud. This isn't exactly a romcom, I guess, and it's not, like, artistically groundbreaking, but it's about two mixed-race girls falling in love with each other, which I don't think I have literally ever seen before in any other movie or TV show, and they get to fall in love in a simple pure ordinary way uncomplicated by racism or homophobia. It's kind of a basic romance for people who don't usually get to have basic romances on screen, and I hadn't quite realized how much I needed that until I watched it. It warmed my heart and made me smile dopily at the screen! Also it has catchy original songs in it.

Theater:

1. Head Over Heels. This is a jukebox musical with music from The Go-Go's (for bonus sapphic points, it includes the song "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" just like the San Junipero episode!). The script is by the guy who wrote the script for Avenue Q, and it seems like a weird concept at first, but it's really funny and features pure uncomplicated queer joy. When the two women sang "Mad About You" to each other I legit cried in the theater. Also it has a nonbinary character!

2. Radio Island by Liza Birkenmeier. (I feel vaguely pretentious mentioning this because it's so obscure, but I loved it!) I sort of think of this as the lesbian Angels in America, though it's less political and not about AIDS and not as long. An interracial lesbian couple is staying with the mother of one of them because she's recovering from an injury, and one of them is a professional hostage negotiator and has to negotiate a hostage crisis while staying at her mom's, and there's a mystery and a narrator who talks about stuff on a cosmic scale, and I'm not explaining this well but it was beautifully written.

3. Hick: A Love Story. This is a one-woman play about Eleanor Roosevelt and her relationship with a journalist, Lorena Hickok; it's based on their letters to each other. This was...one of the most emotionally resonant live theater experiences I've ever had in my life? Like, when Eleanor and Lorena clearly had feelings for each other but hadn't gotten together yet, you could feel the audience longing and holding their breath for them to get together, and then when they finally did get together, the audience's joy was so palpable. At one point there were direct quotations of passages from the love letters, and everyone seemed so touched and enchanted and sort of stunned by how overtly romantic they seemed. I heard a woman in the audience whisper, "Wow," the way you might if you were looking at a baby you just gave birth to. It was just such an intimate fragile precious moment.

Other:

Is it cheating / too book-like to name a short story in an anthology? It's not its own book, and the anthology isn't all or even mostly queer (I think it has two stories with queer characters), so it super flies under the radar as a work of sapphic fiction, and I hardly ever see it recommended. "Penhallow Amid Passing Things" in the anthology The Underwater Ballroom Society is one of my favorite sapphic things I've ever read. It's a small-scale fantasy with a beautiful sense of setting and this absolutely lovely understated f/f romance between two amazing characters. I am obsessed with it. I haven't done Yuletide since like 2011 but I want to start doing it again in the hope that someone will write me fic for this.

Lulu (the library leopard) (thelibraryleopard) | 10 comments I'm currently obsessed with the podcast Alice Isn't Dead, a creepy American gothic road trip story about a woman searching for her missing wife!

message 7: by Olivia Grace (new)

Olivia Grace | 2 comments My favorite show with sapphic characters is Buffy the Vampire Slayer as it has my favorite ever TV character and couple (Willow and Willow/Tara), though it has some problems. Willow’s plotline has bisexual erasure (arguably, but it’s pretty obvious) and bury your gays (though a lot of straight people die also).

My other favorite is One Day At A Time on Netflix and I’m so excited for season 3!!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVE the Handmaiden (huge trigger warning for physical and sexual abuse though, but it has a happy ending). I also recently started watching Wynonna Earp and the wlw are really cute!

message 9: by Elle (new)

Lizzy_Someone wrote: "Movies:

1. The Handmaiden!!! Some of the sex scenes are arguably a little male-gaze-y but overall it's fantastic.

2. Wild Nights with Emily. I'm not sure if it's commercially available (yet?) o..."

i hadn't heard of any of the theater and i'll have to add them to my list. Wild Nights with Emily looks SO GOOD OH MY GOD!! i can't wait for it to release widely.

message 10: by Elle (new)

Emma wrote: "I LOVE the Handmaiden (huge trigger warning for physical and sexual abuse though, but it has a happy ending). I also recently started watching Wynonna Earp and the wlw are really cute!"

oh my god yeah i never finished WE but the wlw in it are so good! and the Handmaiden is AMAZING. my favorite movie so freaking good the plot twists?? beautiful

message 11: by Damian (new)

Damian Mxyzptlk (sighentist) | 3 comments Lulu (the library leopard) wrote: "I'm currently obsessed with the podcast Alice Isn't Dead, a creepy American gothic road trip story about a woman searching for her missing wife!"

The first season is sooo good! I loved it too!

message 12: by Damian (new)

Damian Mxyzptlk (sighentist) | 3 comments Also, in other media, Gone Home and Life is Strange are some of the best experiences I've had playing video games!

message 13: by aleks (new)

aleks | 16 comments Alice Isn't Dead is great, I've listened to it 3 times already and for a horror podcast it's weirdly calming. And come on Adventure Time and Princess Bubblegum and Marceline which is CANON and made me so happy I literally cried yesterday

TheBohemianBookworm I have recently been watching a lot of lesbian movies.
I really liked Carol. I was worried I wouldn't relate to it but I ended up really liking it. I also LOVED Below Her Mouth. And Blue is the Warmest Color is one of my favorite movies ever. It is so beautifully filmed and the actress were both so expressive.

message 15: by A (new)

A | 2 comments - The Good Place - good tv show
- Indecent - 2nd fave play of all time

message 16: by Alia (new)

Alia Abigail wrote: "- The Good Place - good tv show
- Indecent - 2nd fave play of all time"

I adore Indecent!

message 17: by Alia (new)

Alia Girlship TV's Drunk Lesbians Watch on youtube is great for getting sapphic film recs

message 18: by D (new)

D Dyer | 2 comments I watched the favorite recently with my girlfriend. It was really great even if that was the second time I watched it. Are usually can’t watch The same movie twice in a short period of time but I did that with this movie and still enjoyed it the second time. There is officially going to be more L word I am not quite sure how I feel about this. That show was really important to me when I was younger but it’s sometimes painful to watch now.

message 19: by Iris (last edited Feb 19, 2019 11:44AM) (new)

Iris (mountainlillygirl) | 7 comments D wrote: "I watched the favorite recently with my girlfriend. It was really great even if that was the second time I watched it. Are usually can’t watch The same movie twice in a short period of time but I d..."

I thought it was just me. My mother loved The L Word and I thought 'a show about lesbians? Cool!' But I could only sit through the first two seasons. It just felt disingenuous to me. They couldn't really capture the feeling and I couldn't find myself in any of the gay characters, which surprised me.

But as far as other media goes I like film, mostly:
Heartland
Kissing Jessica Stein
But I'm a Cheerleader
Saving Face
The Children's Hour

Some great TV:
Steven Universe
Glee (I know it sounds kinda lame, but Santana Lopez and Brittany S. Pierce really helped me a lot.)

Some music that reminds me of LGBT:
People Like Us-- Kelly Clarkson
The Backseat-- The Gaslight Anthem
Take Care -- (cover by Florence and the Machine)
All the Pretty Girls-- Fun

message 20: by Summer (new)

Summer | 4 comments hii

message 21: by Laianna (new)

Laianna | 2 comments I love all of the recs here! As previously suggested, Sense8 on Netflix is seriously underrated and wonderful. Nomanita is my favorite relationship on the show!

For anyone with HBO access, I'd highly recommend:

1. Euphoria - like an American, Gen Z version of Skins. AMAZING. Very aesthetically pleasing, with innovative fashion and beauty choices, gorgeous cinematography, a brilliant soundtrack, aaand... the relationship at the heart of the show is beautiful.
2. Mrs. Fletcher - a woman explores her sexuality after her son goes off to college. I don't want to give anything away but the ending is glorious.
3. Gentleman Jack - historical drama based on the diaries of the real-life Anne Lister, an eighteenth-century lesbian landowner.

message 22: by Lucy (new)

Lucy | 1 comments I also love Indecent and Carol so, SO much! Carmen Maria Vega has an amazing song that is probably one of my faves called "J'ai tout aimé de toi". The MV is super cool and very sapphic.

message 23: by Zoe Wei (new)

Zoe Wei Wyse (zwwyse) Movies:

- D.E.B.S.

- Imagine Me & You

- The Half Of It

- Portrait of a Lady on Fire

message 24: by Iris (new)

Iris (mountainlillygirl) | 7 comments Zoe Wei wrote: "Movies:

- D.E.B.S.

- Imagine Me & You

- The Half Of It

- Portrait of a Lady on Fire"

I think Portrait of a Lady on Fire is the greatest Lesbian film ever made. Period. Full stop. I think it captures the wonder of it all very earnestly, while still staying matter-of-fact.

message 25: by Lu (new)

Lu (lucieele) | 5 comments Killing Eve anyone?

BTW just started Alice Isn't Dead. Thanks for the tip guys

message 26: by Lianyu (new)

Lianyu Tan (lianyutan) | 5 comments Killing eve was soooo good albeit inconsistent.

She-Ra and the princesses of power was also amazing especially for those of us who had grown up with Revolutionary Girl Utena.

The Half of It on Netflix was very sweet but it's not a romance, which it warns you about straight away.

Another Alice Wu film, Saving Face 2004--this one is a romance iirc.

message 27: by Dinah Laurel Lance (last edited Jan 17, 2022 02:21PM) (new)

Dinah Laurel Lance  | 2 comments Q-Force on Netflix is great. The show follows this spy force of LGBT individuals- except for their token straight guy Buck- based in Hollywood. Only one season is out on Netflix so far, but hopefully there will be more.

The L Word- and the sequel series Generation Q. ❤️ I love Bette, Carmen, Tasha and Lara in the L Word. Unfortunately, their approach to other sexual orientations and gender identities besides cis lesbian isn't very good in the original, but it seems better in the sequel.

I like the Haunting of Bly Manor. It's a Gothic romance. Jamie is beautiful.

I am not thinking of any other shows that are specifically sapphic.