World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Wealth & Economics > Secure jobs

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments With the advent of technology, many human jobs have become obsolete. Which jobs, in your opinion, will be, for the next 25 years, the exclusive domain of humans?

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16032 comments Physical, technical, automatic, monotonous is/will be further delegated to robots. It's the 'cheap labor' that probably hinders it.
The more the degree of creativity, decision-making, inventiveness, the less likely these positions to undergo robotization in the nearest future. Politicians (art, con or work?), writers, inventors, etc may still be of human origin in 2050.
The more protocols (predetermined course of actions) there will be, like legal or medical, the larger will be the segment for automation.

message 3: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Anything connected to art (painting, drawing, sculpting), creative design (architecture, fashion), human expression (acting, singing, dancing), health care (medicine, nursing, nursing home workers, kindergarden workers) and anything else involving imagination, the handling of emotions and care of others.

It may be fashionable to say that machines and robots will replace us in most jobs but I don't believe that. First, robots and machines can't handle anything that was not programmed into them. Second, they are expensive to design and produce and need highly technical skills to maintain and repair them. Third, they positively suck when it is time to serve human customers one on one (you ever tried to get an insurance claim settled through a robot or computer? Or would you let a robot care for your half senile grandmother in a nursing home?). The one thing machines are good at is doing repetitive, unchanging work, like cars assembly or food packaging. I say that the prospect of seeing human jobs evaporate due to machines and robots has been greatly exaggerated. I do write sci-fi, so I am not saying that because of a lack of imagination or foresight, in case someone may try to dismiss my opinion on such grounds.

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Some matters just can't be handled by machines, at least at this point in time, and I don't think they will be until machines function emotionally and can make a connection with human experience. Many times, you just need to talk to a person to get a problem resolved.