Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > aug 2018 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1238 comments One of my better months. I really liked everything I read.

Here are my August reads:

Top Reads

The Prisoner (John Wells, #11) by Alex Berenson The Prisoner
Alex Berenson
I always enjoy this series on audio and in this entry John Wells just can't say no when his old colleague Ellis Shafer calls him in to help unmask a mole. George Guidall's narration was excellent, as usual.

If You Can't Be Good by Ross Thomas If You Can't Be Good
Ross Thomas
A fun and engaging Washington D.C. suspense novel published back in 1973. I really liked the main character, the smooth writing style, and the twisty plotting.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles A Gentleman in Moscow
Amor Towles
An excellent historical fiction audio. I really enjoyed the setting at the Moscow hotel, found the characters to be engaging, and thought the plot was very well done. The narration by Nicholas Guy Smith really added to my enjoyment.

Purple Cane Road (Dave Robicheaux, #11) by James Lee Burke Purple Cane Road
James Lee Burke
One of the better books in the series with Dave's past, once again, being the main driver of the plot.

Falling Glass by Adrian McKinty Falling Glass
Adrian McKinty
Another high quality thriller by the author. Most of the book is set in Northern Ireland and the plot had plenty of action and violence but what I enjoyed the most were the characters, the look at the culture of the Irish Travellers, and the outstanding narration of the audio by Gerard Doyle.

Love Story, With Murders (Fiona Griffiths, #2) by Harry Bingham Love Story, With Murders
Harry Bingham
While the plot was pretty good, Wales' most unique and quirky Detective Constable is the main attraction of this series for me.

Good Reads

Prince Of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5) by Daniel Silva Prince Of Fire
Daniel Silva
An entertaining spy thriller that had a fast paced plot and an appealing reluctant hero.

SPQR VI Nobody Loves a Centurion (SPQR, #6) by John Maddox Roberts SPQR VI: Nobody Loves a Centurion
John Maddox Roberts
Decius Caecilius Metellus the Younger has traveled to Gaul to serve under Caesar but still finds a mystery to solve within the Legion. Decius is as fun as usual and the historical details were fascinating. Listened to the audio version which was read by John Lee who always does a great job.

Beautiful Music by Michael Zadoorian Beautiful Music
Michael Zadoorian
A very enjoyable and readable coming of age story set in Detroit in the 1970s and filled with the rock music of the time period.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Good month, Sandi! I have a copy of Beautiful Music that I moved up in The Pile a week or so ago. Glad to see you liked it!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Nice month Sandi! I also really liked A Gentleman in Moscow. I like how you mix in older books. Do you find the audio books on cd for those or digital? ( like the Ross Thomas book from 1973)

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1238 comments Ann wrote: "Nice month Sandi! I also really liked A Gentleman in Moscow. I like how you mix in older books. Do you find the audio books on cd for those or digital? ( like the Ross Thomas book from 1973) ..."

I actually got the Ross Thomas book from inter-library loan. It was the original hardcover and had obviously not been checked out in a while since the pages had come unbound from the cover. My library is usually pretty good about finding copies of older books from other libraries when they don't have the books in their inventory.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1346 comments Good month Sandi

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8310 comments Nice to have such quality reads. I always enjoy the narrations of George Guidall and Gerard Doyle.