Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > November 2018

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlene (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:09PM) (new)

Charlene Morris | 1278 comments Mod
"On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month", it will be the 100th anniversary of what was suppose to be the war to end all wars. World War 1 will be the theme for November. Any book published from 1915 to 1922 written by a woman will be eligible for nominations unless it has previously been read by the group.

I do realize this is a narrow time frame (for example a memoir), so if you have a suggestion for World War 1 and it is outside the time frame please let me know so it can get approval before being nominated.

Nominations will be open until September 17.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 709 comments I nominate Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain. It was first published in 1933, however, so please advise on whether it is an approved nomination.

message 3: by Charlene (new)

Carol wrote: "I nominate Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain. It was first published in 1933, however, so please advise on whether it is an approved nomination."

That one is definitely approved.

message 5: by Charlene (new)

Camille wrote: "What about The Return of the Soldier?"

Return of the Soldier is in the time frame so it is fine.

message 6: by Charlene (new)

I set the theme up this way just because the time frame would allow us to look at how the war affected what was published then.

But from everything I looked at, there are some works about World War 1 that just fall outside of the time frame and shouldn't be excluded like memoirs, fiction based on personal experience and even a couple of nonfiction research type books. There are so many other books I may not even know about. So that is why I decided to go with the get approval for nomination.

I want to make sure the group gets to pick what they feel is the best selection to represent World War 1 that they will hopefully enjoy reading. It may not have been expressed in the simplest and most understandable way.

message 7: by Charlene (new)

My nomination is Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf (1922).

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 709 comments Charlene wrote: "Carol wrote: "I nominate Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain. It was first published in 1933, however, so please advise on whether it is an approved nomination."

That..."

Thank you!

message 9: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1241 comments Mod
A Son at the Front by Edith Wharton

message 10: by Charlene (new)

Last day for nominations.

message 11: by Charlene (new)

Poll is open until September 28th.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 12: by Charlene (new)

Voting ends on Friday!

message 13: by Charlene (new)

November is The Return of the Soldier

message 14: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda (dewluca) Charlene wrote: "November is The Return of the Soldier"
I read this in 2014 (the 100th anniversary of the START of WWI). Very moving. The book I always think about related to WWI is Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf because of the character who is suffering from "shell shock". What amazes me is how long it took people/doctors/soldiers to acknowledge the tragedy of PTSD. My dad was in WWII and his ship was hit by a kamikaze plane diving into the flight deck. I think he had undiagnosed PTSD his whole life. I won't be rereading The Return of the Soldier, but will check in on the discussion.

message 15: by Charlene (new)

I will get a better look at this tonight and try to get some discussion threads up on Friday.