Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Talk Genre > SF romance or romance w/ lil SF

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Athena (new)

Athena (athenaweeena) | 10 comments Mod
I've only read a few SF romances so far, but there seems to be two kinds. Good SF where the main plot is romance and a romance book that just happens to have SF as the setting. I feel cheated if the SF is no good.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Macatee | 12 comments I agree. I've read SF for years and recently discovered SFR. Since I read a lot of romance, it was the best of both worlds. But I try to stick to books where the romance and sci-fi balance out.

message 3: by Athena (new)

Please share your favorite authors or books. I would love to to avoid some bad reads if possible.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Macatee | 12 comments The last three SFR books I read are Susan Grant's Moonstruck and The Warlord's Daughter and Linnea Sinclair's Games of Command.

I would hightly recommend all three.

message 5: by Athena (new)

I'm currently working through Sinclair's books, but I've never heard of Susan Grant. Thanks!!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Macatee | 12 comments She's great! I've read other books by her including, Contact, Once a Pirate, The Legend of Banzai Maguire and The Scarlett Empress. These are all older releases, but worth the read just the same.

message 7: by Sej (new)

Sej (sejrose) | 6 comments I agree about Linnea Sinclair and Susan Grant, although I prefer Susan Grant's older books. The last couple trilogies - not so much. But then again I read her years ago and my tastes have definitely changed, so I'd give her a try.

I also love CJ Barry. She's written the "Un" series but stopped writing for awhile. I'm glad she's coming back but unfortunately it's not SFR.

Stobie Piel is another. I read Lord of the Dark Sun first and I really loved it.

Susan Krinard's two SFR books - she only wrote 2 darn it! Kinsman's Oath and Star Crossed were simply amazing!

Catherine Spangler's Shielder series are another. I read hers long ago and loved them a lot.

There's a blog called Galaxy Express that lists a ton of authors.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Macatee | 12 comments Yes, I've read CJ Barry and, years ago, I read Catherine Spangler, although I haven't read anything recent from her. I'll have to check her new stuff out. I just finished reading Linnea Sinclair's Gabriel's Ghost and am starting on the next book in the series, Shades of Dark.

I also hang out at The Galaxy Express! It's a great place to find out new happenings in SF romance!

message 9: by Sej (new)

Sej (sejrose) | 6 comments I just finished Games of Command and started Gabriel's Ghost. Sully is hilarious!

Spangler's new series - well let's just say that I'm not all impressed.

Have you discovered any new authors in SFR? I really love Linnea Sinclair's 50/50 with romance and SF.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan Macatee | 12 comments Haven't had time to read it yet, but I did purchase one book recommended on The Galaxy Express, The Hidden Worlds by Kristin Landon. I think it's the first in a series, so once I read that, I'll decide if I want the next one. But for now, I'm trying to work my way through Linnea's series. And yeah, isn't Sully a fun guy? Games of Command was awesome too! I also have Finders, Keepers on my TBR pile.

message 11: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 44 comments Hello I'm new to the group.

I love Susan Kearney, Catherine Spangler and CJ Barry. Although I have to confess it's been a while since I read a CJ Barry.

I have Linnea Sinclair on my paperbackswap reminder list for when I trim my TBR a bit.

I also like erotica with a sci-fi twist-you know where the sexy aliens need Earth women to save their race from extinction type books.

message 12: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 44 comments Oh and I joined this group the other day in hopes of getting some new to me author names to try.

message 13: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (elainereads) | 1 comments Jayne Ann Krentz has several SFR books out under her pen name Jayne Castle. A new one is due out in August I think.

Elizabeth Lowell writing as Ann Maxwell wrote the Fire Dancer series back in the 1980s. Unfortunately, she never finished it. A fact I have never forgiven her for!

I am currently re-reading Johanna Lindsey's Ly-san-ter family trilogy. Warrior's Woman is the first one. These are a lot of fun.

All of these are romances that happen to be science fiction.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan Macatee | 12 comments Have you read anything by Susan Grant, Mary?

message 15: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 44 comments I have read a couple of hers. I recently acquired a Linnea Sinclair but I haven't read it yet. I like Susan Kearney. I've also read various erotic authors like Michelle Pillow and Lauren Dane that do some sci-fi stuff.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan Macatee | 12 comments If you like sci-fi that's not romance, one of my favorites is Elizabeth Moon. I absolutely love her Vatta series and she has a new book out, which I think begins a new series, but the first book is only available in hardback. I'm waiting for the paperback version to come out.

message 17: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments Hi all. New to this group, but not SFR. I'll chime in with my recs:

Any of Linnea Sinclair's books are great, with GAMES OF COMMAND my favorite, followed by GABRIEL'S GHOST and SHADES OF DARK. I'm reading AN ACCIDENTAL GODDESS now, the only one of hers I haven't yet read.

If you like military SFR check out THE OUTBACK STARS by Sandra McDonald. An awesome read that interweaves romance, suspense, mystery, Australian mythology and has an amazing hero in Terry Myell.

If you like erotica and great humor, Barbara Elsborg's LUCY IN THE SKY is highly entertaining, (and sounds like what you're looking for Mary.)

If you like snarky, spunky heroines and a dark romance, don't miss Ann Aguirre's Sirantha Jax series, GRIMSPACE, WANDERLUST and DOUBLEBLIND.

If you like Susan Grant, she just recently re-released her STAR series--including STAR KING and STAR PRINCE--with new covers. I haven't read them yet but others have said they're excellent reads.

message 18: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Hi, I'm new to this group too. I'm taking part in the 2010 SFR Reading Challenge so I have a lot of recs. LOL. (The challenge is here: http://raelori.blogspot.com/p/2010-sf... )

Athena, I understand what you meant by the two types of SFR. I'm finding that I'm slowly working toward liking the latter but adore the former. I've always been an SF girl. LOL.

Some recs that are more toward SF than R:

The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald--first in a trilogy. If you like this one I highly recommend getting both of the others before starting book two because, like me, you'll probably want to go straight to the next one. The first book is more romantic than the second but I've a feeling the romance comes back in the third. I've read the first two, not the third yet.

Linnea's books have a good balance of SF and R. I haven't read them all but did like Finder's Keepers and the more fanatsyesque Accidental Goddess (because the "fantasy-like" elements were explained with plausable science).

Primary Inversion by Catherine Asaro. All of her books are keepers for me. This one, Skyfall, and Quantum Rose are three of the most romantic.

Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold. This is the two books Shards of Honor, and Barrayar combined. Read them in a row or just get the combo book. This book will forever be a keeper for me.

If you like military SF with just a hint of Romance until the last book (but the books are very fast reads) check out The Lost Fleet Series. I can't remember the author but if you google it it will show up. Jack something. Excellent series that hooked me immediately and every book peeled back layers of the big SF picture until a satisfying ending in the last book.

message 19: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments I haven't read the Catherine Asaro novels you mentioned, Anna, but I loved ALPHA. More for my leaning tower of TBR. :)

I'm in the 2010 SFR Reading Challenge, too.

message 20: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Hi, Laurie! Cool about the challenge!

I'm nearly done with CJ Barry's Unraveled. And despite an, to me, awful bodice ripper cover (seriously, my kids were laughing at the boobies falling out) the story is really good.

The hero reminds me of Han Solo. It's interesting and fast paced.

But am I the only one who gets annoyed when the cover models look nothing like the characters? Ah, well. I like this one enough to read by flashlight after hubby goes to sleep. LOL.

message 21: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments Hi Anna,

Yeah, covers can be a real aggravation for authors--most have zilch input into the end product. A friend of mine had a character with short, spiky dark hair and they gave her a cover that showed a blonde with long flowing hair.

Susan Grant has (IMHO) gotten some of the worst covers in SFR, and yet she's one of the best writers in the genre (again IMHO). Her latest, Sureblood, wouldn't give you a clue it's SFR. But you've probably heard that discussion already. :)

Unraveled sounds intriguing. (Han Solo hero? Cool!) I'll have to check it out.

message 22: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Hi Laurie,

Yeah I know what you mean about author's having no input on covers. I remember Linnea being upset about the red skinsuit on Accidental Goddess.

The hero in Unraveled reminded ME of Han Solo. He was the tough guy with a soft heart and a cute, cocky grin. His coloring was a little different though--black hair and blue eyes.

message 23: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments I'm reading that one (Accidental Goddess) now. Somehow I missed it. It's the only one of Linnea's I haven't read, and I'm totally enjoying it. I love Admiral "Mack." He's my kind of hero too.

message 24: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I loved Accidental Goddess.

message 25: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Yeah, Grimspace has a good mix of sometimes gritty adventure and dark romance. The rest are not really romantic, I found, LOL.

message 26: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 345 comments Ditto Linnea recs.
Loved LOST FLEET BOOKS by Jack Campbell. He just released book that finished main story line in April.
Laiden Series - just read five, starting Agent of Change. Very fun.
Meluch's Myriad series. Kind of over the top, fun.
Also like Alpha and Sunset Alley - Catherine Asaro
Hurricane Moon by Alexis Glynn Latner, if you like your romance with hard sf.
Darkship Thieves by Sarah A Hoyt

My TBR is in pain. Have my SFR challenge posted here:

http://paulinebjones.livejournal.com/...

message 27: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Thanks for the new recs, Pauline!

Hi to the people new to here.

message 28: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 345 comments I'm still pretty new at this, but loving the genre. I get my TBR sort of down, then shoot it back up again. lol

message 29: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments LOL, me too, Pauline. My TBR's out of control.

I think I'm in the "Good SF where the main plot is romance" category too.

message 30: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 345 comments LOL! I'd be buried if most it of weren't on my kindle. LOL!

I think I'm in the "take me somewhere fun, make me sigh and laugh and want it to never end and if you blow something up, cool" category. (grin)

message 31: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I think I'm in the "Good SF where there's ANY Romance" category. I don't really care if it's the main plot or a subplot.

message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments LOL. There must be things blowing up!

message 33: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments So, on the eve of the release of Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay--could the Hunger Games trilogy be SFR? It's a bit of stretch. Maybe Science Fiction, Romantic Elements?

message 34: by new_user (last edited Aug 23, 2010 11:13PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments Well, I've seen dystopian fiction grouped with scifi, and I think the Hunger Games trilogy in particular has been labeled as scifi sometimes, so it's not too much of a stretch, but just for myself, I wouldn't really consider it scifi since it's missing some of those elements.