Play Book Tag discussion

When Christ and His Saints Slept (Plantagenets #1; Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, #1)
This topic is about When Christ and His Saints Slept
Archive: Other Books > When Christ and His Saints Slept(Listopia) 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8428 comments When Christ and His Saints Slept 4.5

This is the first book of Penman's Henry II/Eleanor of Aquitaine series.

The story begins shortly before the death of Henry I. Henry's male heir has died in a shipwreck, and Henry makes his daughter Maud(Empress of Germany and Countess of Anjou) his heir. No one believes a woman could/should rule thus leaving the door open for her cousin Stephen to usurp the throne. Maud spends nearly 20 years fighting for the crown that was rightfully hers. Sadly Maud would never be Queen but her long fight does secure the crown for her son Henry II, which is the point in time this book ends

This was a fascinating story of life in the 12th century, and the horrible conditions and warfare the common people lived through. Whole villages burned, the people left homeless and hungry-all over the right to the throne.

Penman is one of my favorite authors. She always explains her reasoning on facts/fiction at the end of her books, which I appreciate I held back at giving it 5 stars because it is not a book I would recommend to everyone. It is historical fiction at it's best, that said at 784 pages you really have to want to know about the subject to invest the time

Booknblues | 6865 comments I love Penman's books.