Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's August 2018 Reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Sep 03, 2018 01:29PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments I got a LOT of reading done last month!! And several were on Kindle. I requested several on NetGalley, thinking I'd get approved for maybe a couple. I got approved for every one, but one!

Dead Man Running (Alex McKnight #11) by Steve Hamilton Dead Man Running by Steve Hamilton: 11th Alex McKnight and different from others in the series. The biggie for me was that this didn't take place in the UP, which I missed. Anyway, a thoroughly evil serial killer is caught in AZ, but when the FBI questions him he'll agree to talk to only one man: Alex McKnight. When Alex is brought in, he has no idea who the guy is, has never seen him before in his life. Like I said, this guy is just plain evil and the things he does are completely over the top. This one turns into a cross-country chase before Alex finds out what his connection is to this guy. Grade: 8.75

Joanne Fluke's Lake Eden Cookbook Hannah Swensen's Recipes from the Cookie Jar by Joanne Fluke Joanne Fluke's Lake Eden Cookbook: Hannah Swensen's Recipes from the Cookie Jar by Joanne Fluke: I used to love her Hannah Swensen books, but stopped reading them awhile back when they got on my last nerve. This had been in The Pile for awhile and I didn't realize there was a story that ran through part of it, as well as it being a cookbook. The story was so-so, but this has most all of the recipes from a lot of her early books. Nice to have them all in one place so I'm not scrounging for my recipe cards. Grade: 9

The Man Who Came Uptown by George Pelecanos The Man Who Came Uptown by George Pelecanos: not your typical Pelecanos! And after the last couple of his, that's good. I was so disappointed with them, it was nice to have him redeem himself! Michael Hudson has developed a love of reading thanks to a prison librarian while he's been locked-up. One day he finds himself unexpectedly released. Unknown to him, a private detective manipulated a witness and he's a free man. He finds his DC has changed while he's been locked up, but he has vowed to change his life...but the private detective is looking for some payback for his part in getting Michael sprung. Grade: 9.25

Christmas Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #23) by Joanne Fluke Christmas Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke: 23rd Hannah Swensen. This is one I got from NetGalley. It's a prequel, so I thought it might be like the early books I enjoyed so much. It wasn't. Absolutely awful dialogue and a silly story. There were 2 recipes I think I might try, but that's the only thing good about this! Grade: 3

A Deadly Brew (A Tourist Trap Mystery #9.5) by Lynn Cahoon A Deadly Brew by Lynn Cahoon: 9.5 in her Tourist Trap series and actually a novella. I had never read this series before, but know several people who really like it. This was another NetGalley read and it's set at Halloween in a supposedly haunted house. Fun! Grade: 7.5

An Easy Death by Charlaine Harris An Easy Death by Charlaine Harris: 1st in Gunnie Rose series. An alternate history tale set in the US in the 40s. In this history, the US has suffered heavy death tolls in 2 flu epidemics and then FDR is assassinated before he could be inaugurated. The US collapses and is picked off by Canada, the UK, Mexico and the Holy Russian Empire. Lizbeth Rose lives in the Southwestern states area, now known as Texoma. Life is a pretty much hand to mouth existence for most people and Lizbeth is a "gunnie", a hired gun who hires out as security for people traveling from one area to another, especially to Mexico where things are better and there is more work. Magic is real and prevalent in this alternate history, and she is hired by 2 sorcerers from the Holy Russian Empire to take them into Mexico to search for another sorcerer whose blood may be able to save their emperor. Too bad Lizbeth hates sorcerers, for good reason, and she may know something about the man they're looking for that they don't know. This one reads almost like an Old West novel. Interesting premise and well thought out. Grade: 9

To Catch a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #8) by Heather Blake To Catch a Witch by Heather Blake: 8th Wishcraft. It's been a while since the last one and, boy, has a lot happened!! Darcy has been hired to help organize the Wicked Mad Dash, a high profile running event. On the day of the run the Enchanted Village is hit with a blizzard, but that doesn't stop elite runners! When Abby, Darcy's friend who hired her, doesn't return from a warm-up a search ensues. Of course, it doesn't end well. The search for the killer makes a great story, but what's going on with Darcy's sister's life is even more interesting. The stage is set for major upheavals in the next one! Grade: 9.5

Treacherous Is the Night (Verity Kent, #2) by Anna Lee Huber Treacherous Is the Night by Anna Lee Huber: 2nd in Verity Kent series. I didn't read the first in this series as the description just didn't grab me, even though I love Ms. Huber's Lady Darby series. This is set in England, just after the WWI. Verity had thought she was a war widow, but her husband, Sidney, is very much alive. They're trying to get used to being a couple again when Verity agrees, against her better judgment, to attend a seance with a friend. The medium "channels" a woman who Verity worked with during the war and she refuses to believe the woman is really dead. Shortly thereafter the medium turns up dead. In a search for where the medium got information that should have been top secret, Verity & Sidney head to worn torn Belgium looking for answers. Grade: 8.25

A Catered Mother's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #11) by Isis Crawford A Catered Mother's Day by Isis Crawford: 11th in Mystery with Recipes series. This is another series I hadn't read in awhile and got through NetGalley. I haven't been missing much. Used to like them, but then the 2 sisters who run a bakery & catering business started constantly sniping at each other and totally taking away from the mysteries. This one was more of the same and not even a single interesting recipe. Grade: 3

Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham: this was a really good read. It takes place in Tulsa, OK, in present day and in 1921 in the time immediately leading up to and during the Tulsa massacre in the all-black Greenwood section of the city. Rowan Chase is a 17-year-old well-to-do daughter of a wealthy white man with deep Tulsa roots and a black lawyer mother. When human remains are found on her family's property, Rowan is determined to find out who the victim was. The story becomes interwoven with William's story in 1921. Along the way, Rowan learns a valuable lesson about the "haves" and the "have nots" and what it means to stand up for wrongs against others. Great read! Grade: 10

The Bishop's Pawn (Cotton Malone, #13) by Steve Berry The Bishop's Pawn by Steve Berry: 13th Cotton Malone and the first one written in first person. This one deals with assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr, 50 years later and turns on an incident from 2000 during Cotton's first assignment for the Justice Dept and Stephanie Nelle. Did James Earl Ray kill the man or was there something more going on? This was slow in parts for me, but the ending brought up interesting suppositions and things to think about. Grade: 9

Twice Dead (The Necromancer's Song, #1) by Caitlin Seal Twice Dead by Caitlin Seal: another from NetGalley and an interesting premise that was very poorly executed. Imaginary lands with complicated and boring politics weighed it totally down. Skimmed a lot of it. Grade: 2

Samhain Secrets (A Wiccan Wheel Mystery, #4) by Jennifer David Hesse Samhain Secrets by Jennifer David Hesse: 4th in Wiccan Wheel series. I didn't much care for the 1st in this series, but this one was much better. Keli's aunt is found dead and what at first looks like an unfortunate accident turns out to be murder. She's trying to balance an extra workload after a promotion and learning to live with her now live-in boyfriend, but is determined to find who killed her aunt. Grade: 7

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3839 comments great month, melodie. totally agree about the pelecanos- i really liked it- it was different from his usual stuff.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15089 comments Wow Melodie- great looking month! You’ve given me some great recommendations here. I didn’t realize Charlaine Harris has a new series, so interesting sounding too. Great to see you enjoyed the new Pelecanos and Hamilton.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1238 comments Like Ann said, lots of great recommendations.

The new Charlaine Harris series looks very interesting and I am also going to look into Dreamland Burning.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8310 comments A great month for you, Melodie! Some interesting titles there.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1657 comments Melodie! You've been a busy girl :) I keep meaning to catch up on Fluke. This is one of those series I really should just quit. I did quit Isis Crawford a long time ago. I do want to try Lynn Cahoon!

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Susie wrote: "Melodie! You've been a busy girl :) I keep meaning to catch up on Fluke. This is one of those series I really should just quit. I did quit Isis Crawford a long time ago. I do want to try Lynn Cahoon!"

I hadn't read a Fluke book in a few years as the last one I did read just got on my very last nerve. For free I thought I'd try the new Christmas one, but was worse than awful. Won't try again. I like the cookbook, though!

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1657 comments Melodie wrote: "Susie wrote: "Melodie! You've been a busy girl :) I keep meaning to catch up on Fluke. This is one of those series I really should just quit. I did quit Isis Crawford a long time ago. I do want to ..."
Worse than awful....now that's really bad :)

message 9: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments No fair, Melodie! From your list I added the Hamilton and Pelicanos to my Want to Read List. That was scary! I do NOT need any more books I want to read! Then, when I got to Dreamland Burning I immediately went to Amazon and bought it. I'm glad you had such a great reading month and I'm especially glad your read Dreamland because I hadn't heard of it.

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments OMalleycat wrote: "No fair, Melodie! From your list I added the Hamilton and Pelicanos to my Want to Read List. That was scary! I do NOT need any more books I want to read! Then, when I got to Dreamland Burning I imm..."

Always happy to help!! ;-)