Library Lovers discussion

Archived > No Fines

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 169 comments Our library recently instituted a policy of no fines. The books still have due dates but if you dont get them back in time it is ok. The librarian said they felt that some people didn't come to the library because they owed money or didn't bring things back because the money owed for late fees was more than what the book cost. She also said the money they made from fines wasn't enough to make a difference. I haven't heard how this is working out. Does your library still charge late fees?

message 2: by Julie (last edited Sep 04, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

Julie (julielill) | 856 comments Mod
Our library still assesses fines but it has been re-vamped. We now have a automatic renewal policy for materials unless the items have holds on them. Materials will renew twice so you have up to 9 weeks to keep the material without being charged. New DVDs get a one week checkout but will renew up to 2 weeks if there are no holds. Patrons are also emailed when their items are due or have been renewed.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1165 comments We do still charge fines. 3-week check out for standard material; 6 weeks if it's a book owned by your own particular branch of the library (i.e. not coming from another branch int he system). You can renew as long as there are no holds on it. And they give you a 3-day grace period on the return date before the fines begin.

message 4: by Charlene (last edited Sep 04, 2018 03:23PM) (new)

Charlene (librarymomforall) | 151 comments Our library still charges for late books. Our books are a 4-week check out, the new books are a 2-week checkout. You can renew twice as long as there is not a Hold on a book. That's more than generous for people to return their books on time. And of course, some do not and run up fines. I think that more than enough time to return your book and the fine is 10 cent a day. It wouldn't kill you to pay that. But some books don't even come back. Here if your fines go over $35 you are sent to collections. That shows up on your credit report, not a good thing. We are a small library and that money goes to help with expenses. We do send out e-mails as a reminder that your books are due but of course some say they didn't get that. At this point I'm not very forgiving to those that ignore the rules.

message 5: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 169 comments Charlene wrote: "Our library still charges for late books. Our books are a 4-week check out, the new books are a 2-week checkout. You can renew twice as long as there is not a Hold on a book. That's more than gener..."

I love it that we get emails when books are due and we also get an email when one has come in. Its also wonderful that I can go online and check my account. Isnt modern technology wonderful?

message 6: by Julie (new)

Koren wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Our library still charges for late books. Our books are a 4-week check out, the new books are a 2-week checkout. You can renew twice as long as there is not a Hold on a book. That'..."

I love that you can put holds online -though I tend to have too many holds on items. Our website also lets you make a list of books or other items that you want to read but don't want them on hold. When you are ready to read them you just can put a hold on them.

message 7: by Fishface (last edited Sep 08, 2018 11:07AM) (new)

Fishface | 571 comments They still charge fines here. They must be making some good $$$ from somewhere because they're ripping out the parking lot to repave it from scratch. I know from repaving our own, much smaller parking lot where I live that that costs a bundle.

message 8: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 169 comments Julie wrote: "Koren wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Our library still charges for late books. Our books are a 4-week check out, the new books are a 2-week checkout. You can renew twice as long as there is not a Hold on..."

We used to be able to keep a wish list on the library site. When they switched to a different company it was no longer available and there was no notice so I was disappointed to lose my list.

message 9: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 196 comments Mod
My library charges a fine. Also if you have a certain amount (I think $5) you can't put any books on hold.

You can renew online but only 10 times.

message 10: by Julie (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza wrote: "My library charges a fine. Also if you have a certain amount (I think $5) you can't put any books on hold.

You can renew online but only 10 times."

Wow, ten times is a lot of renewals. Our patrons can renew twice as long as there are no holds on the book. That gives them 9 weeks to read the book.

message 11: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 169 comments Julie wrote: "Lady ♥ Belleza wrote: "My library charges a fine. Also if you have a certain amount (I think $5) you can't put any books on hold.

Wow, ten times is a lot..."

I think our library is also twice, but you can return and if there are no holds you could check it out again.

message 12: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Julie wrote: "Lady ♥ Belleza wrote: "My library charges a fine. Also if you have a certain amount (I think $5) you can't put any books on hold.

Wow, ten times is a lot..."

And if you go to the library and ask nicely they've renew it for you after the 10th time.

message 13: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 571 comments But I picture NYC libraries having so many books to choose from they can afford to be that forgiving.

message 14: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Dec 31, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Fishface wrote: "But I picture NYC libraries having so many books to choose from they can afford to be that forgiving."

But if there is a hold on the book you can't renew it.

Yes and a LOT of branches. NYC actually has three library systems, NYPL which is Manhattan, Bronx and Staten Island, Queens Library, and Brooklyn Public Library.

message 15: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 571 comments All those books...

message 16: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

message 17: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 571 comments

message 18: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 169 comments Fishface wrote: ""

I love that.

message 19: by Snoopypanda (new)

Snoopypanda (iloveromance96) | 2 comments My library system says they haven't charged fines in 30 years! Wow! Funny story.... Ages ago (before they changed their policy to email patrons about holds-they used to call and leave automated voice mails), I checked out a TON (like ten or so) of Kristin Hannah books from my local library. I had just finished "On Mystic Lake" and absolutely fell in love with it so I had to read all of her other novels.
The books were past due and I was nowhere near finished reading the books so my husband and I went to the library to renew them and pay the fines. The librarian informed that not only do they not charge fines, but that for some reason they were never checked out! I felt like I had stolen those books! It's funny now but I was mortified! That was back in the early 2000;s and since then I am extremely cautious about returning books late, even though they don't charge fees!

message 20: by Snoopypanda (new)

Snoopypanda (iloveromance96) | 2 comments Julie wrote: "Koren wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Our library still charges for late books. Our books are a 4-week check out, the new books are a 2-week checkout. You can renew twice as long as there is not a Hold on..."

Mine does this too and I love it! They even have a "For Later" list that you can add books to. It's so nice to be able to go through and see books you've saved and then check to see if they're available for checkout. There have been rare occasions when I don't know what I want to read and for me, going through the library "the old-fashioned way" takes time. I'd much rather just put them on hold, drive by the library and pick them up.

message 21: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 169 comments Fishface wrote: ""

I had to laugh. I binge-watched Gilmore Girls Saturday night and saw the episode that was in.