Vintage Tales discussion

The Prisoner of Zenda (The Ruritania Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about The Prisoner of Zenda
Group Reads/Readalongs > September 2018 Group Read --The Prisoner of Zenda

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Werner | 683 comments Mod
Here's the thread for discussing our group's common read this month, The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope. I've started on the book myself, and expect it to be a quick read.

Sorry to be so slow in getting this thread posted! Labor Day weekend has been hectic around here. :-)

Rosemarie | 136 comments Mod
I just started this and can tell it is going to be a fun read.

I have just finished this swash buckling tale with a terrific hero in Rudolf R. It was a fun read and I really enjoyed it.

I hope to finish it this weekend. The quality of some books proves to be different, for better or worse, than I expect when I go into the read. This is one that's steadily risen in my estimation as I've been reading it!

Rosemarie, if you write a review, I hope you'll link to it here.

Yesterday, I finished the book, and reviewed it, here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... . Maybe that review will spark some discussion! The novel got four stars from me; I liked it much better than I'd initially expected to, which is always a happy surprise. :-)

I like the way the narrator gradually revealed the details of his own story( his final decision) in the course of novel.
As you said in your review, there are important female characters who play vital roles in the novel.
I didn't know what to make of Rupert. There is another Zenda novel in which he is the main character.

Yes, Rupert is the title character of the sequel, Rupert of Hentzau (view spoiler). Goodreads treats those novels as books 2 and 3 of the "Ruritania Trilogy;" but the book they count as #1 of the trilogy, The Heart of Princess Osra, (1895) is a prequel, and I'm not sure that Rupert is in that one.