Diversity in All Forms! discussion

The Thing Around Your Neck
This topic is about The Thing Around Your Neck
Author's Pick > The Thing Around Your Neck (September 2018)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (new)

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1432 comments Mod
The Thing Around Your Neck
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

message 2: by Maddie (new) - added it

Maddie (maddieonthemap) I’m reading her essay “We Should All Be Feminists” so count me in on this one!

message 3: by Mariah Roze (last edited Sep 05, 2018 04:14AM) (new)

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1432 comments Mod
Maddie wrote: "I’m reading her essay “We Should All Be Feminists” so count me in on this one!"

That is a super good book! We actually have a discussion going on that book if you'd like to join. :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) This collection of short stories are about universal issues. Don't let the Nigerian cultural viewpoint mislead you into thinking it is only about Nigerian people. I loved these stories.

message 5: by Puck (last edited Sep 07, 2018 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Puck | 15 comments This is a beautiful short story collection that's indeed about so much more than 'Nigeria' or African countries: you find themes of oppression, racism, the patriarchy and sexuality in her stories. I had many favorites, but I really liked “The Thing Around Your Neck” and “The Headstrong Historian” because they felt so personal.

A great collection to get introduced to Adichie's fictional writing, although her nonfiction stories (like We Should All Be Feminists) are very strong as well.