Play Book Tag discussion

The Forgotten Garden
This topic is about The Forgotten Garden
September 2018: Friendship > The forgotten garden by Kate Morton - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9322 comments Forgive the cross post to general feed and the September Decathlon. At first, I wouldn't have necessarily tagged this as friendship. certainly not as a main theme. But by the end of the book its clear what the complicated beautiful friendship and love bond between cousins Eliza and Rose means and how it becomes a part of each other's life story.

Five stars for this gem! I just loved this, as many of you thought I would. It was right up my alley. A family mystery filled with magic, fairy tales, and a secret beautiful garden. It doesn't matter when you figure out the twists - it was a compelling read through and through. Its told from three different women's point of view, and throughout their lives, which is interesting, and makes the book long. I flew through it in two days however. The only complaint I have and and its a minor one. The current story (always the least interesting in a multi-point of view historical fiction) the end of her story got tied up too neatly too quickly for my taste. I rather think the author must have lost steam after 548 pages. I think that could have been developed and flushed out earlier. Or that it didn't need to be as resolutely resolved. I could have lived with the more realistic softer hint or implication that all would work out and was opening as it should. That said - great story and great enjoyment. Thank you for the absolute recommendation.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I have read several of her books and I quite enjoy them all! She has a new one coming out this month that I am looking forward to getting to as it has been several years since I read anything by her!

So glad you enjoyed it as well :)

message 3: by Hayjay315 (new) - added it

Hayjay315 | 251 comments I read this one years ago and the story has continued to stay with me making this amongst my most frequently recommended books. I'm glad you were able to get to this lovely story this year!

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2297 comments I read this one a couple of months ago and enjoyed it very much

LibraryCin | 9049 comments Nicole R wrote: "I have read several of her books and I quite enjoy them all! She has a new one coming out this month that I am looking forward to getting to as it has been several years since I read anything by he..."

I agree with Nicole! I've really enjoyed them all! But this one remains my favourite (though I think I rated one of the others the same 4.5 stars.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Lovely review. I have not read any books by this author but just looked her up. She seems to garner some high reviews on her books. I may need to check her out. Have you read any others by her?

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9322 comments No but I have heard some stellar things. Rachel, you are going to have to figure out how to sort, prioritize, and trim your TBR. It will be curious to see what that criteria looks like.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "No but I have heard some stellar things. Rachel, you are going to have to figure out how to sort, prioritize, and trim your TBR. It will be curious to see what that criteria looks like."

I know Amy. You were the one who told me my TBR would blow up and boy did it. I need to get in there and figure some things out. I avoid it but its not being resolved so I better get to work.:)

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9322 comments Personally I try to have the TBR be less than the books read. I do have some tricks for trimming it down. Although I must admit that I do have some they’re sitting on there just waiting in case a certain tag shows up. That might not otherwise be there. I’m at 450 for want to read. I’m trying to get down to 400 if that’s possible. One thing I have done is to try to eliminate anything that’s under 3.5 rating. And if I hear enough that a book is not worthy I’ll let it go. Sometimes through the giveaways, they’ll put a duplicate copy of your book with a different cover on it. In those cases I try to sometimes sort by author or title to make sure I only have one of the same. Then I have a shortlist on my phone it’s actually a long list. But it’s my top priorities, and that helps me organize it as well.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Personally I try to have the TBR be less than the books read. I do have some tricks for trimming it down. Although I must admit that I do have some they’re sitting on there just waiting in case a c..."

Thank you Amy. I decided to actually work on this today and I'm doing that now. I have let a few go over time when I see that so many don't like the book. Your tricks are very helpful.

message 11: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Knew you'd love it, Amy!

I should make time for another Kate Morton. This is so far the only one I've read of hers. 5 stars from me as well.

message 12: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I still have this book on my shelf. Someday I will get to it.

Hahtoolah | 437 comments This was the first book I read by Kate Morton. I loved it. I read it a few years ago, but never got around to reading anything else by her. I recently read The Secret Keeper, which is also excellent.

KateNZ | 2666 comments Cool, the library app had this available :) Thanks for the tip, Amy!