Play Book Tag discussion

Milkman
This topic is about Milkman
Archive: Other Books > Milkman - Anna Burns - 1 star and some unresolved hatred

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Sep 03, 2018 04:53AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Susie | 4488 comments It would be dishonest of me not to mention that I didn't actually finish this book, but I did read the first half twice so I figure that earns me the right to count it and review it. I started the book in print and at half way I was really not liking it, but I had read so many great reviews that I decided to give it a go in audio. I started again, and by half way it was obvious that I was never going to like it. I actually hated it. I had no interest in picking it up. I found the endless segues incredibly irritating, and the lack of names did not appeal to me. Did I mention that I really didn't like it? I was bored bored bored, and I really don't understand its inclusion on the longlist. I can think of so many more worthy books. BUT diversity in reading tastes is what makes this group great, and I am glad that some of you found some merit in this horrendous piece of fiction. ;-)

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Hahaha! That last sentence was a true “Southern compliment” — When it sounds like you are saying something nice but real it is an insult 😂

Anita Pomerantz | 6732 comments Lol, misery loves company so all I can say is DITTO.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9326 comments Oh we love the scathing reviews and we love you too!

Nicole D. | 1497 comments oh man ... I don't know what happened with me and this book.

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I did like this one, but it took a while to get used to the writing style.

Anita Pomerantz | 6732 comments Tracy wrote: "I did like this one, but it took a while to get used to the writing style."

I got used to it. Still couldn't stand it, lol.

Nicole, I am surprised we diverged so much, but then I thought about The Sellout. I think you appreciate the wit of these books just so much more than I do. I see where they are trying to be funny, but they just don't appeal to my personal sense of humor for some reason.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Well there seems to be a consensus on this book. Some of you liked it but for those who seemed to loathe this book...I'm not adding it to my list.:) At least its over!