CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > October 2018: The Bone Mother

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3569 comments Mod
Greetings everyone,

It is time to start thinking about our October read. We had chosen the topic of "spooky reads" to get ready for Halloween. Please add your suggestions below and then I will set up a poll for voting.

thanks!

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 744 comments I will suggest The Troop by Nick Cutter.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments I want to read The Troop too!

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 6 comments I do not usually read what you select because I am busy reading books for my book club. However, I love the occasional scary book. So I look forward to reading whatever you vote in.

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "I want to read The Troop too!"

I've read The Troop but I haven't read his newest, The Saturday Night Ghost Club, yet. Any interest in that one?

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments Peter wrote: "I've read The Troop but I haven't read his newest, The Saturday Night Ghost Club, yet. Any interest in that one?"

I've read The Saturday Night Ghost Club and would definitely recommend it. I'm not sure how "spooky" it would be considered though. It's more a coming-of-age story.

message 7: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 644 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "Peter wrote: "I've read The Troop but I haven't read his newest, The Saturday Night Ghost Club, yet. Any interest in that one?"

I've read The Saturday Night Ghost Club and would de..."

I would read that one.

message 8: by ❀ Susan (new)

I enjoyed the Saturday night Ghost Club but would also categorize it as a coming of age story and not so spooky.

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Sep 04, 2018 02:58PM) (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 215 comments I like Craig Davidson (Nick Cutter) as much as the next Canadian but I will throw in some other truly spooky Canadian suggestions to provide a little variety:

The Bone Mother[ by [author:David Demchuk|953453], which was nominated for the 2017 Giller Prize

Gifts For the One Who Comes After by Helen Marshall

Sandman by Sean Costello

Enter, Night by Michael Rowe

A God in the Shed by J-F Dubeau

Experimental Film by Gemma Files

message 10: by ❀ Susan (new)

These are all new to me suggestions - thanks Barbara!

message 11: by Peter (new)

Peter I have not read either A God in the Shed by Dubeau or Sandman by Costello. I've read the others and cannot say which of them I like best; they are really very good.

Based on the quality of the ones I've read I'd be happy to read either the Costello or the Dubeau. Or even re-read one of the others.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments I’ll also suggest bone mother. It’s been on my radar for a while now.

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter Bone Mother is fabulous!

message 14: by ❀ Susan (new)

Last call for suggestions and I will start a poll weds or thurs.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments Not exactly spooky, but I’m also planning The Witches of New York for October.

message 16: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Bone Mother does sound really good. Thanks for suggesting, Barbara.

message 17: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Not sure if we're doing an October read but I'm about half-way through The Bone Mother and am finding it good and creepy. Anyone else reading or planning to read it?

message 18: by ❀ Susan (new)

Oops - I have been distracted by the municipal election so did not end up posting a poll. I would suggest that for those interested in an October read that the bone mother had the most mentions.

message 19: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) No worries, Susan. We know you're busy. Hope all is going well with your election work.

message 20: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Oct 11, 2018 05:42AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments I don't think I'll get around to The Bone Mother, but I am enjoying some Halloween themed reads this month. I'm currently reading The Witches of New York and after that I'm planning The Troop, which will also complete my Cross Canada challenge with its PEI setting. Is anyone else planning some seasonal reading this month?

message 21: by Story (last edited Oct 11, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

Story (storyheart) I finished The Bone Mother and liked it a lot though it didn't seem quite finished to me. I felt the stories needed a larger frame to link them all together.

I'm now reading an ARC of Gingerbread by Helen Oyeyemi which is quite spooky so far, containing a family of witchy type women who make magic gingerbread and have giant dolls that talk. Not a kids' story though...

Has anyone here read anything else by Helen Oyeyemi?

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments Storyheart wrote: "Has anyone here read anything else by Helen Oyeyemi? "

I haven't nor had I heard of her new book. Sounds interesting!

message 23: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) You can request an ARC from Edelweiss if you're a member.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 215 comments I just finished Boy, Snow, Bird and I enjoyed it quite a bit but the ratings aren't great. There is a twist /tangent near the end people dislike but I was less put off by it than most I guess? It also has racial tension throughout and I wonder if it made people uncomfortable? I thought she did it very well though. I will definitely read more of her work. I want to read White is for Witching but the one you are reading sounds up my alley too.

message 25: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 419 comments I just finished The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman and am rereading The Witches of New York by Ami McKay.