Play Book Tag discussion

The Shepherd's Hut
This topic is about The Shepherd's Hut
Archive: Other Books > The Shepherd's Hut - Tim Winton - 5 stars and a lot of love

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments This is one very special book and I'm really sad that it didn't make the Booker longlist, although, after seeing him in person just last week, I suspect that Tim Winton couldn't care less. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Tim Winton, he is arguably the most recognised author in Australia, having written an impressive 27 fiction, non-fiction, and children's books. He has an amazing ability to write downtrodden Australian characters, often in the first person as in The Shepherd's Hut, with an incredibly authentic voice (cue every swear word imaginable and a lot of Australian slang), and still write in a way that is emotive and touching. I just love him, and I think this might be his best. Toxic masculinity is at the forefront of the novel. It is not an easy read, but I felt it to be unputdownable, and seeing him speak made the experience even sweeter. He read an excerpt from the book and I think I'll remember it forever. He is just lovely. He is notorious for being uncomfortable in the public eye, and that was very evident, but once he started talking he was eloquent and incredibly intelligent and I now want to read every single thing he has ever written.

Tracy (tstan) | 1152 comments Wow! I’m glad you got to see him! I really liked this one, too. I think this is a “shoulda-Booker” as well.

message 3: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita Pomerantz | 6164 comments Can't wait to try this one.

message 4: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2207 comments I’m due for a free book with my next purchase - guess what either the purchase or the freebie will be!

Susie | 4488 comments Fingers crossed you love it Kate!

message 6: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Must read one of his books this year! Must read one of his books this year!
I had to search a picture of his at work last week when the Miles Franklin award was announced (he is a fellow multiple award winner) and he just looks so nice and unassuming in his photos. (Especially photos that were taken at the movie premiere, where all the actors look like glamorous dolls next to him and he looks real)