Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's August 2018 Books read

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Sep 03, 2018 12:23AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15058 comments My August was a good reading month including one and maybe more that will make my top ten list for the year.

The Gone World
Maybe Esther: A Family Story
I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Political Tribes: Group Instinct and the Fate of Nations
Snap
Read My Pins: Stories from a Diplomat's Jewel Box
Every Tongue Got to Confess: Negro Folk-tales from the Gulf States
The Banker’s Wife
The Long and Faraway Gone
Pieces of Her

Sweterlitsch, Tom The Gone World read 8/5/2018 Audio Rank 9.75 of 10
Wow. This book is a lightning fast page turner and crosses boundaries of time as if they didn't exist. Shannon Moss, takes her investigative job with NCIS very seriously and considers many (many!!) different possibilities. This book reminds me why I love sci-fi and why it terrifies me.

Petrowskaja, Katja Maybe Esther: A Family Story read 8/7/2018 Audio Rank 9.25 of 10
A journey fueled by generations of memories of a painful past and tragic losses; presented in an unusual structure that serves this emotional reading experience very well. I wanted a print copy to capture quotes that resonate.

McNamara, Michelle I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer read 8/10/2018 Audio Rank 9.35 of 10
What research, great insight into specifically the GSK /Golden State Killer, and before that the EAR / East Area Rapist.; how serials were identified or not, cold cases, detectives, research, data, the changes in forensics and the terror inflicted on a numbingly large number of victims in the 1970's and eighties.

Adams, Douglas The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) read 8/14/2018 Audio Rank 8.75 of 10
A wild ride, er flight; I enjoyed this journey from earth - having neglected reading it before, it looks like it will be fun to follow Arthur and his new companions throughout space.

Chua, Amy Political Tribes: Group Instinct and the Fate of Nations read 8/15/2018 Audio Rank 9.25 of 10 History, hope, understanding, so very important to consider views from multiple perspectives and to understand what makes the United States unique as a Super Group and how we can stay a Super Group and embrace our tribal differences and our common needs.

Bauer, Belinda Snap read 8/17/2018 Kindle Rank 9.95 of 10
A slow burn; curiosity about diverse characters, rather amazing characters it turns out; and the burn starts to build into real heat and the characters to intrigue, and the story finds it's way into your heart as the tension builds into an inferno. What a book.

Albright, Madeleine K. Read My Pins: Stories from a Diplomat's Jewel Box read 8/17/2018 Library print Rank 8.75 of 10
Beautiful pins, loved seeing them and learning about the history of many of them and when Madeleine Albright wore them. Some of the best were very inexpensive and all are memorable.

Hurston, Zora Neale Every Tongue Got to Confess: Negro Folk-tales from the Gulf States read 8/19/2018 Audio Rank 9 of 10
Narrated by Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis which made this audio a treat and a very good book to listen to; the words flow and enter your mind, and your heart goes out to the people who shared these short memorable tales and parables across many tellings and many years.

Alger, Cristina The Banker's Wife read 8/22/2018 Audio Rank 9 of 10
A fast paced book with some seriously evil people and lots of money

Berney, Lou The Long and Faraway Gone read 8/26/2018 Audio Rank 9.65 of 10
A slow build and then you find yourself immersed in the separate twilight worlds two survivors inhabit after a tragic event in 1986 in Oklahoma. Their journeys through life, struggling to let go of the past, show the depths (scary depths) that someone might go to find out why.

Slaughter, Karin Pieces of Her read 8/31/2018 Audio Rank 9.2 of 10
Secrets, lies, identity and the duality of who we are throughout a lifetime. A daughter's search for answers, a mother's fierce love and the passion of rebellion. All of these are part of a compelling story about far from perfect people with a fast pace and psychological insight.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Great month, Ann. The Gone World looks really good!

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments nice variety this month, ann.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 03, 2018 07:48PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Interesting mix, and looks like all were top-notch. Am interested in the mid-struggle that was involved in coming up with a rating of 9.65, LOL....

-----
edit: mind-struggle.....

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1120 comments Good month, I love the Hitchhiker book.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15058 comments Carol: good question. This is similar to Barry’s answer on his “B” ratings. I tend to lean to a 9 of 10 for most books I read which translates to 4 or 5 stars on GR depending on how much I liked it and whether I added points. So a 9 of 10 is 4 Stars and a 9.25 is probably 5 Stars - though this isn’t a guaranteed break point. If I delve down into 8 of 10 territory it either wasn’t profound but I read it or I just want to rank it below others or It was informational rather than a novel.
The annual top ten lists motivate the .65’s etc. I try to capture if I think a book should make that list as I read it and let the higher .65 or .75 added put those at the top for the end of the year.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Interesting mix, and looks like all were top-notch. Am interested in the mid-struggle that was involved in coming up with a rating of 9.65, LOL...."

message 7: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1395 comments Ann wrote: "Carol: good question. This is similar to Barry’s answer on his “B” ratings. I tend to lean to a 9 of 10 for most books I read which translates to 4 or 5 stars on GR depending on how much I liked it..."

It's interesting that you're that specific about ratings. When the end of the year comes, I know what's going to be on top ten immediately because I keep a top ten that I continually update all year long. I can tell you right now what they'll be if I read no more A rated books this year, but that would make me sad. I'd like to think that I'll encounter more excellent books. I have in the past discovered that the best read of the year was my final read. That can always happen.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1654 comments You had a really good month Ann!

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1237 comments It is good to see that you really liked Snap. Belinda Bauer is one of my favorites and I look forward to reading it soon.

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3131 comments I do not keep a top 10, I list the A and A- books, then decide what I have to cull if there are too many.

message 11: by Ann (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:05PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15058 comments Sandi: looks like I have more books to look up by Belinda Bauer then; Snap was really good.

Sandi wrote: "It is good to see that you really liked Snap. Belinda Bauer is one of my favorites and I look forward to reading it soon."

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 03, 2018 07:50PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Shomeret wrote: " I keep a top ten that I continually update all year long. ..."

I decided to do this at the beginning of this year to make it easier to post my top books at the end of the year. I need to go in and update it as I haven't done so in a few months and have new 4s and 5s to add and reshuffle into the list.

message 13: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "The annual top ten lists motivate the .65’s etc. I try to capture if I think a book should make that list as I read it and let the higher .65 or .75 added put those at the top for the end of the year.."

Ann, I've been wondering about the specificity of your ratings and interested to see your explanation. I ought to find a way to keep track of my top-rated books as I go rather than agonizing over choices on December 31!