Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1)
This topic is about Red Sister
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Red Sister [Dec 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Dec 1st.

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments In

message 4: by Johana (new)

Johana Same here!

Ginger | 74 comments Just saw this BR this morning. Been wanting to read this for awhile.
I'm so in!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Oh in! This has been on my tbr for a while now.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Andersen Hi! I just joined this group (!!!!SO EXCITED!!!!), and am definitely down for reading this with ya'll!

Anni | 5048 comments Christine wrote: "Hi! I just joined this group (!!!!SO EXCITED!!!!), and am definitely down for reading this with ya'll!"

That's great! Welcome to the group Christine :)

I'll try to fit it in as well, especially after our wonderful Broken Empire BR and Laura's personal invitation for this one 😁

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Welcome Christine!

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1132 comments If I had waited a little longer to read this i would have joined in. If you guys read book 3 when it comes out I'll jump in.

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I'm so looking forward to this! Glad I could enable you Anni 😁

Saskia | 4 comments I am reading this at the moment and I am LOVING it. It's hard to stop reading sometimes!

Katie K | 2263 comments Can't wait to begin this read with you all ^-^

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Welcome Christine!

message 15: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 18001 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "If I had waited a little longer to read this i would have joined in. If you guys read book 3 when it comes out I'll jump in."

I just mentioned Holy Sister over in the Buddy Read Invite thread... I mentioned a dozen new releases for 2019, to garner interest in people to schedule them early... I read these first 2 back in April/May...

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1132 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "If I had waited a little longer to read this i would have joined in. If you guys read book 3 when it comes out I'll jump in."

I just mentioned Holy Sister over in the Buddy Read ..."

I just finished Grey Sister earlier this week/last week. I'll check out the invite thread.

message 17: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "If I had waited a little longer to read this i would have joined in. If you guys read book 3 when it comes out I'll jump in."

I just mentioned Holy Sister over in the Buddy Read ..."

Awesome, I'd love to join y'all for a BR of Holy Sister when the time comes :-)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1770 comments I'd also like to jump in on Holy Sister when it comes out.

I'll probably reread (listen) to the first two a month or two out to refresh.

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Fey | 1 comments I'd love to do this...but I totally caved and have finished it already... Enjoy it - it's my favourite Lawrence book so far! When you do the next one, I'm totally in.

message 20: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5048 comments I'll be a little late :D

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'll be late, too. I have 4 books on the 1st :-/

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Starting... now!

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I hear you @Stormblessed! I've got Babylon's Ashes yelling at me for attention... maybe after this! I've lost track of our schedule, I just know that I'm behind! Sorry! I'll try to catch up for the next one.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "I hear you @Stormblessed! I've got Babylon's Ashes yelling at me for attention... maybe after this! I've lost track of our schedule, I just know that I'm behind! Sorry! I'll try to catch up for the..."

I am ashamed to say I went ahead and read it last week. My husband, who finished the series and keeps wanting me to watch the show with him, started harassing me over not finishing the series, so I just randomly picked it up and read it. So hurry up and read that one and then we can move on to Persepolis rising together :-)

Saskia | 4 comments Finished it! And loved it. The story really grabbed me, although I lost the story a bit towards the end. So many things happened. It was a very nice read. I'm looking forward to read the next one of the series.

message 26: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Dec 04, 2018 05:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I started this book expecting to love, gush, love, gush... I'm that kind of Lawrence fan. I'm enjoying it, truly I am, but...

Through chapter 15(view spoiler)

Ginger | 74 comments On Ch5...
I got started this weekend and it's been good so far. Just trying to get into the world building and all the characters. I'm sure by the middle of this book, everything will be making sense!

message 28: by C.H. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.H. Baum | 6 comments This book was a great build up to Grey Sister. I can't wait for Holy Sister.

Ginger | 74 comments C.H. wrote: "This book was a great build up to Grey Sister. I can't wait for Holy Sister."

That's awesome to hear C.H.!

Katie K | 2263 comments I'm around page 100, so I wanna say I'm closer to you Ginger with my progress so far. Boy oh boy does a lot happen in the beginning.

It can be a bit confusing at times with the back and forth way of the flashbacks, but it's turning out to be an interesting read so far.

I did have a question for you all. (view spoiler)

message 31: by Ginger (last edited Dec 04, 2018 09:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ginger | 74 comments Katie wrote: "I'm around page 100, so I wanna say I'm closer to you Ginger with my progress so far. Boy oh boy does a lot happen in the beginning.

It can be a bit confusing at times with the back and forth way..."

Yay! I'm glad you're around the same point in the book Katie!
On your spoiler, (view spoiler)

Katie K | 2263 comments Ginger wrote: "Yay! I'm glad you're around the same point in the book Katie!
On your spoiler, "

Yup yup! I'll be taking my time with this one :)

Thanks Ginger! That's what I was thinking too, but I really had to flip back a few pages to see if I had missed something XD

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I just started. Think I'm still at chapter 2 but enjoying it so far.

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Chapter 16(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm at about chapter 9. How old is Nona when she enters the convent? I'm finding it hard to pinpoint her age and I'm sure I missed it.

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments She said she was nine but it seemed like she just made that up, like she didn't know but somebody asked. But quite young...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments They mentioned the youngest girl there was 9, so I assumed she was older. Somehow I thought she was 11 or 13 but I can't find basis for my assumption. All of the girls are under 13 thought right?

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I'm not sure how old the other girls are, I just thought they were mostly older than her...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "I'm not sure how old the other girls are, I just thought they were mostly older than her..."

I think at when she first got to the abbey it was mentioned that the youngest was 9 and oldest 13.

I'm about 70% through. It's taking me a while to get through this one because I can't listen during work. It's too complex and I end up missing stuff if I'm not 100% focused. But my biggest gripe right now is the ages. He sets these girls up to be like 10-12ish at the start of the book, but they don't act it. I have to keep readjusting my image of them down since I keep finding myself picturing them as closer to 16-17. They don't act or speak like kids. And yes, they've had hard lives and it's a different time and blah blah. Still kids are kids at least to some degree. These girls are 100% older teenagers. Trying so hard to readjust my mind frame takes me out of the story and makes the read that much harder.

Katie K | 2263 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Laura Tenfingers wrote: "I'm not sure how old the other girls are, I just thought they were mostly older than her..."

I think at when she first got to the abbey it was mentioned that the youngest ..."

I'm only 30% through it so far, but this is very close to my issue with my book at this point. The characters are all just kinda bland for me. The typical kinda female hero who has grown from a rough past, has unspeakable power, and thinks she knows everything. At this point Nona just isn't very likeable for me. It's just the same old fantasy trope. So yeah, it follows your logic in that they just don't seem like kids. I'm hoping once I read a bit more I'll see their characters grow a bit...or at least have a more interesting dynamic ^^;

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Katie wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Laura Tenfingers wrote: "I'm not sure how old the other girls are, I just thought they were mostly older than her..."

I think at when she first got to the abbey it was m..."

In my opinion, it doesn't really change. The characters still seem bland even from where I am. I was so into the book when it started, but I'm still waiting for something big to happen. So far it's just clichéd fighting school stuff. Nothing is hitting me as new. It's just stringing my along by withholding Nona's background information. I'm almost done and I still feel like this book is setting up for something big. I want that big event now though.

message 42: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5048 comments I'll finally start the book this weekend. Sadly your updates doesn't sound promising...

Katie K | 2263 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Katie wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Laura Tenfingers wrote: "I'm not sure how old the other girls are, I just thought they were mostly older than her..."

I think at when she first got to the ..."

That's too bad Diana, I hope the payoff is still worth it >_<

Don't be discouraged Anni, I know a lot of others who love the book. The lore is pretty great, I'm just struggling a bit with the characters is all. I do love a story where the heroes in training are at a school of sorts. Reminds me of Harry Potter or the Name of the Wind :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments It's still a good book. I'm still enjoying it. It's just not 5-stars-blew-me-away good.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: " But my biggest gripe right now is the ages. He sets these girls up to be like 10-12ish at the start of the book, but they don't act it. I have to keep readjusting my image of them down since I keep finding myself picturing them as closer to 16-17. They don't act or speak like kids. And yes, they've had hard lives and it's a different time and blah blah. Still kids are kids at least to some degree. These girls are 100% older teenagers. Trying so hard to readjust my mind frame takes me out of the story and makes the read that much harder. "

I'm just sort of peeking into the thread because I read this book with another group the year it came out but I had this exact same issue with it. Then again, child protagonists aren't my favorite to read about.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm ok with the kid angle. I just don't understand why he would make them kids and then make them act like adults. In Harry Potter they were def more kid like at the beginning, and matured with the books, so books about kids don't need to be bad. I just don't like being thrown out of the story when characters don't act like you'd expect.

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I agree Diana, Katie and Veronica. Through Chapter 34 (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments ^ Yes. All of this yes.

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Through chapter 40 (pg 444/500)(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "Through chapter 40 (pg 444/500)

..."

(view spoiler)

« previous 1