Everything Other World discussion

Books from monthly reading list > September 2018: Luna

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Springs | 181 comments Mod
The new read for September is The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin, Translated by Ken Lui.

Luna was interesting. It's soap opera/Godfather feel made pinning down the protagonist difficult. Ian McDonald envisions it as a world of corporate warfare. The only law on the moon is contract law. There are no civil or criminal laws. The houses often use duels to settle arguments. Food, water, and air are commodities. If you cannot pay for air, you eventually suffocate. The result looks almost like Chicago during Prohibition.

I found it hard to like the Cortas. However, it was a hard book to put down. The pacing was constantly shifting. The end suddenly ignited like an afterburner. Through the excess and decadence of the upper end of Lunar society or the desperation of those who must struggle, only the strong prosper. It became impossible to put the book down.

What did everyone thing?

message 2: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian Hetman | 26 comments Mod
I haven't finished it yet, but the narrative seems a bit hectic in its pacing. Also, almost right off the bat I found the protagonists offputting and strange. These initial impression made it hard for me to return to the book more often than I did. Not my favorite type of style, though the world makes me want to finish the book anyway.

I'm glad that Three Body Problem is the read for September. I love that book. I think it's one of the strangest, most exotic, yet beautiful sci-fi novels released in recent years. I'd love to hear what others think about it.

message 3: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Springs | 181 comments Mod
It would be easier if you liked the protagonists. You feel like you have to root for the Cortas, but they seem almost as bad as their foes.

It is interesting how the potential problems of living on the moon are addressed. The fact it is difficult if not impossible to return to Earth after so many years living there. How to deal with the fact that air and water aren't easy to come by.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Schuder (goodreadscomkirstenschuder) | 233 comments Mod
The thing I like about sci-fi is that relevant social issues are depicted and carried out on a word other than earth. The author can then be as kind or as critical as he likes, but the readers get the message.

Living down south, I found that this book had relevance. I noticed that going on down south here. You would think that living down south, there would be public pools everywhere to help with the heat, but instead, it seems that having bodies of water to swim in is a commodity that people profit from. When my family and I lived in upstate New York, the one thing I could say about the area is that they had a town pool for people to use, and it was free except for birthday parties. To use the pool in this area, you have to pay a fee per person, and it can be quite expensive. One of the lifeguards told us it was to "keep out the riff-raff." I have seen other instances where water is treated as a commodity rather than a resource for everyone.

Also, corporations seem to run the country now, so on this level the book made a pretty significant statement. I'm really into books who can do this artfully. The author really pulled it off.

Can't wait until next month's book.