Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Sanderson - All the Things > The Way of Kings [Feb 1, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 171 (171 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Sep 02, 2018 09:30PM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Feb 1st.

message 2: by Gazi (new)

Gazi Nuzhat | 21 comments I'm in

message 3: by Nika (new)

Nika | 12 comments I'm planning to join too. This will be both my first buddy read and my first Sanderson!

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 83 comments Nika wrote: "I'm planning to join too. This will be both my first buddy read and my first Sanderson!"
Same here, I'll try to join.

message 5: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Excited to read this :D

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Well, since I originally requested this BR, I'm in. Just to tag the thread so I don't forget haha.

message 7: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments I'll definitely hop in on this - I read it when it first came out, but never went further with the series. Figure it could do with a reread before getting the second and third read.

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Spot!

message 9: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments I'm making a cheeky start on this now as the cover caught my eye while I was between books. Let's see how much I remember from my first read!

message 10: by Gazi (new)

Gazi Nuzhat | 21 comments Seán wrote: "I'm making a cheeky start on this now as the cover caught my eye while I was between books. Let's see how much I remember from my first read!"

I kind of started it too, I couldn't wait lol. But it's been slow going. I'm on page 300ish..

message 11: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (nanasfantasticreads) | 7 comments I'm in as well :) Can't wait to finally read this series!

message 12: by Cody (new)

Cody Reis | 20 comments Will be my first as well! Excited to try a buddy read

MikMurphy the Spinecreaser | 37 comments Anyone know if the series schedule is hard set for this? I'm ok with the 6 week gap for WoR on Mar 15th, but I don't know if I can hang with April 15th for Oathbringer.

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments The dates aren’t hard dates. You can choose to start a bit later or earlier. If you’re in the reading competition, I believe you can start 7 days earlier or 14 days later than the specified date to claim BR bonus points.

We can certainly change the date. But, let’s wait until after most people are done with WoR? Then we can take stock of where people are in terms of reading speed and schedule?

Just want to add that Oathbringer is scheduled for Apr 20, not 15.

MikMurphy the Spinecreaser | 37 comments Barry wrote: "The dates aren’t hard dates. You can choose to start a bit later or earlier. If you’re in the reading competition, I believe you can start 7 days earlier or 14 days later than the specified date to..."

Ok Barry, sounds good! I've been wanting to start this series since last year but it's size freaks me a little and there's so much else I want to read too 😁

message 16: by Anny (new)

Anny | 241 comments I'm in as well.

message 17: by Cody (new)

Cody Reis | 20 comments Started tonight as I'm a bit slower and wanted a bit of cushion. Hopefully I can keep up!

message 18: by Charlie (last edited Jan 25, 2019 07:39AM) (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I have the English paperbacks which splits this book into two books so I hope the chapter numbers match up or I'm going to be confused when i read this with you guys.

message 19: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Charlie wrote: "I have the English paperbacks which splits this book into two books so I hope the chapter numbers match up or I'm going to be confused when i read this with you guys."

Same, and I didn't even think about that :o At least we'll be two

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2263 comments Charlie wrote: "I have the English paperbacks which splits this book into two books so I hope the chapter numbers match up or I'm going to be confused when i read this with you guys."

I hope it works out for you Charlie! ^^

I just picked up this book from the library the other day. Whoa, the paperback is massive! I'm a bit intimidated to be honest XD Still, can't wait to start readin' with you all :)

message 21: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I have a feeling my other BRS next month might take a bit of a back seat to this one. I've heard it's an excellent series though so I'm super excited to get into it.

message 22: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments The chapters are exactly the same. Just don't try to mark where you're up to by page number... :)

message 23: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Hope you enjoy!! So amazing!

message 24: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Just finished up, a little before the official start date...at least it means I'll definitely be ready to jump into the second book on-time.

This was a re-read for me - having read the book when it first came out - so it was nice to get a refresher of all the details and revelations at the end. I actually upped my rating to a five-star as it's really hard to find any fault with the book. There's some usual Sanderson quibbles, but these are all pretty minor, and I think that we are seeing him at his best here.

message 25: by Cody (new)

Cody Reis | 20 comments About a week into reading this and I'm almost done with part 2. This is my intro to Sanderson and I'm really loving the book! I've never done a buddy read so I'm not sure the pacing; I generally read a little slower, only a couple chapters a day generally, so I wanted a cushion. I'm really looking forward to seeing other's opinions when the official start date arrives!

message 26: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Siobhan wrote: "Hope you enjoy!! So amazing!"

Yes! Have fun! Siobhan and me will prepare the Oathbringer thread for you 😬 We already left you a lot of comments there!

message 27: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Hope you enjoy!! So amazing!"

Yes! Have fun! Siobhan and me will prepare the Oathbringer thread for you 😬 We already left you a lot of comments there!"

Hehe we're so kind! 😁

message 28: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments With such incredible friends as these, we are all truly blessed! 😁

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2263 comments Seán wrote: "Just finished up, a little before the official start date...at least it means I'll definitely be ready to jump into the second book on-time.

This was a re-read for me - having read the book when ..."

You guys are such fast readers O.O It's good to hear that you enjoyed the book though, that's always encouraging for such a large novel.

@Cody People kind of read at their own pace in BR unless something is agreed upon beforehand. Just post your thoughts here when you can. And make sure to use spoiler tags too.

I will be starting this read at the beginning of the new month because I have some other books to finish right now. I know my pace for this book will be on the slower side too. lol. Can't wait to get into more Sanderson writings though :)

message 30: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm likely going to read it slowly around other things throughout the month, that's what I tend to do with larger books. It just works better for me. I might read 100 pages in a night but then leave it for a few days and read something else then go back to it so I'll be around for a while.

message 31: by Cody (last edited Jan 29, 2019 09:10AM) (new)

Cody Reis | 20 comments Katie wrote: "@Cody People kind of read at their own pace in BR unless something is agreed upon beforehand. Just post your thoughts here when you can. And make sure to use spoiler tags too."

Good to know.

So here goes my first post on the book.

Jumping in I was really overwhelmed. It throws so much in your face at the beginning. I was making tons of highlights so I could go to the Stormlight Archive wikia to try and understand what was happening. I was afraid the book wouldn't be for me with so many pieces of lore being discussed without any backstory.

Rest assured, while there's a ton going on in the prologue and prelude it's not important to understand it all right away. It calms down and gets into world building to start understanding all that happens. In hindsight I like the way Sanderson started the story. Whets the appetite a bit.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments @ Cody the only problem with Stormlight Archive or the 17th shard is all the massive spoilers. I stayed away from those sites until on my second read of the story-so people could explain to me everything I had missed 😂.

message 33: by Cody (new)

Cody Reis | 20 comments Daniel wrote: "@ Cody the only problem with Stormlight Archive or the 17th shard is all the massive spoilers. I stayed away from those sites until on my second read of the story-so people could explain to me ever..."

Ha, yeah I read very carefully. Mostly just the chapter summaries. Sometimes I'll click on a link to dig in more and quickly close it lol

MikMurphy the Spinecreaser | 37 comments Cody wrote: "Katie wrote: "@Cody People kind of read at their own pace in BR unless something is agreed upon beforehand. Just post your thoughts here when you can. And make sure to use spoiler tags too."

Good ..."

Good to know things make sense later!

What's up with the creepy death confession/observations at the beginning of each chapter? I hope we find out what those experiments are!
Prologue  (view spoiler)
Chapter 1&2
 (view spoiler)

message 35: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments @ MikMurphy-we will indeed find out about the creepy chapter headings-but not until a later book!

message 36: by Cody (new)

Cody Reis | 20 comments Now that it's started, it's time to see how fast people catch up to me :)

I'm currently on chapter 38 and I'm really loving this book! It can be slow at times but the character and environment development are worth it. I really feel like I get a sense of the different areas of Roshar.

Prelude/Prologue/Chapter 1
(view spoiler)

Part 1
(view spoiler)

Interludes
(view spoiler)

Part 2
(view spoiler)

Interludes
(view spoiler)

message 37: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 83 comments I've started reading and was a bit confused till the end of Chapter 1, so many things happened in this small part. Actually I thought at that moment I'm not going to like this book, but still continued reading.
Now I'm on Chapter 11 and the story is amazing! So smooth and it becomes more and more interesting, I just found myself reading without having a break all the way from Chapter 2. (view spoiler)

message 38: by Anny (new)

Anny | 241 comments Jess wrote: "I've started reading and was a bit confused till the end of Chapter 1, so many things happened in this small part. Actually I thought at that moment I'm not going to like this book, but still conti..."

For me, I started confused and ended up losing interest. I was only interested in Shallan's story, Kaladin's didn't interest me much. Not sure if I'm going to continue this.

message 39: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7732 comments I am going to start it tomorrow for sure...

message 40: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Anny wrote: "For me, I started confused and ended up losing interest. I was only interested in Shallan's story, Kaladin's didn't interest me much. Not sure if I'm going to continue this. ."

The Kaladin story is definitely the biggest slog of the book. It does help to set things up, but it is a lot of reading for not a lot of payoff, in this book at least. I was always enjoying the Kaladin chapters just enough to push on, and am ultimately glad that I did.

message 41: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I've just started this, managed to read a few pages on my break and I read the prelude. (view spoiler)

message 42: by Gazi (new)

Gazi Nuzhat | 21 comments I’m stuck in one of Dalinar’s chapters. It put me into a slump lol. I only care about kaladin’s storyline tbh. I’m gonna try to push through today and read some more hopefully.

message 43: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Just read the prologue (view spoiler)

message 44: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 83 comments Anny wrote: "For me, I started confused and ended up losing interest. I was only interested in Shallan's story, Kaladin's didn't interest me much..."
It's totally ok not to like this book, even when it's rated so high. Btw I kept reading and don't regret it at all. In Part 2 there are more heroes and lines and story becomes even more interesting, some secrets occur, those, which keep you reading and wanting to read more :)

message 45: by Cody (new)

Cody Reis | 20 comments Its interesting how characters resonate so differently than others. Kaladin's arc is definitely my favorite. Most of the Shallan chapters were tougher to get through for me. Those do get better though. Just finished Part 3 and it's really flying high at this point.

Part 3
(view spoiler)

Interlude
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Nika (new)

Nika | 12 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one finding it hard to get into this. I find the stakes in the pre-chapter section to be...not very moving, but as I got into the flow of reading, it became a lot easier to ignore the overarching "mysterious apocalyptic historical plot" in favor of the actual characters of the book.

I'm def not passing judgement on this as I've only just started chapter 1. I've got a couple of library books I gotta finish, which is slowing me down. Going back and forth from "Who Fears Death" which involves an active genocide and a lot of really brutal and traumatic violence to this is...hard. And it's definitely coloring my ability to take this book seriously, which isn't fair of me at all.

message 47: by Cody (new)

Cody Reis | 20 comments Nika wrote: "Going back and forth from "Who Fears Death" which involves an active genocide and a lot of really brutal and traumatic violence to this is...hard"

I read that in January! Solid story and there's a prequel I need to pick up at some point.

message 48: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments This is the kind of book that once you get going it becomes amazing. As with any new world, the backstory and world building take a bit of time. I thought Sanderson did an excellent job of character development in conjunction with world building and backstory. It is awesome if you just give it a go!

message 49: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments @Daniel Since Mistborn is one of my all time favourites, I'm really hoping this lives up to it. My go to phrase at the moment seems to be 'it was great, but it wasn't Mistborn.' Maybe this series can break the trend!

message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2263 comments Charlie wrote: "I've just started this, managed to read a few pages on my break and I read the prelude. I'm not really sure what any of it means though I'm sure I'm not supposed to at this point. It seems like th..."

I felt the exact same way when I read the prologue over the weekend Charlie XD

High Fantasy names here we come. lol. After a few chapters I know they'll begin to stick for me. XD I agree with you Nika in that the dire situation didn't really resonate with me either in the prologue. Probably because we don't know these characters yet. I dunno. Still hoping to read more to this week to attempt to catch up with you all :D

« previous 1 3 4